Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Bannedbiker
#121 Posted : 01 July 2018 21:17:09(UTC)
Bannedbiker

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 140 time(s) in 119 post(s)

Two or three months ago I made a couple of installation tools to fit upper and lower ball joint boots, I finally found time to use them on a friends car.

Good job he wasn't in a hurry, he bought the boots at the 2017 Spring Rally!!!.

They worked a treat pushed on by a 6" clamp.

Only ball ache was the upper ball joint nut that was rusted solid and had to be removed after using a nut splitter and a chisel.

1997 Silver Eunos Roadster 1.8
1st place, light modification, Wentworth Woodhouse Spring Rally, April 2016
1st place, light modified, Oulton Park Spring Rally, April 2015
1st place, light modified, Gaydon National Rally, September 2014
Bannedbiker
#122 Posted : 06 July 2018 20:21:40(UTC)
Bannedbiker

With the warm weather we've had recently I've used the Mazda for the daily commute the last couple of days.

And this afternoon the odometer clicked over 200,000 km.

Bettabuilda
#123 Posted : 06 July 2018 20:36:28(UTC)
Bettabuilda

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 282 post(s)

Thats pretty neat!  Your car could pass muster at a quarter of that IMO 

Barrie

COG group member

2007 NC1 1800GT 1st place lightly modified 2018 Spring Rally Goodwood

'91 Eunos, classic red, 2nd place in modified mk1 at 2015 Spring Rally Oulton Park.
 1 user thanked Bettabuilda for this useful post.
Bannedbiker on 22/07/2018(UTC)
g0aku
#124 Posted : 07 July 2018 07:35:00(UTC)
g0aku

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Very nice underneath your car hoping to get my front lower wishbones cleaned up using electrolysis then bilt hammer wax inside them see you Sunday Baz, Rob.

1 user thanked g0aku for this useful post.
Bannedbiker on 22/07/2018(UTC)
g0aku
#125 Posted : 07 July 2018 10:08:42(UTC)
g0aku

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Sorry I forgot to say those lovely Carver Clamps took me back to my fabrication days, and yes one can get worked up about those Carvers , Rob.

Bannedbiker
#126 Posted : 11 July 2018 20:19:58(UTC)
Bannedbiker

Originally Posted by: g0aku Go to Quoted Post

Very nice underneath your car hoping to get my front lower wishbones cleaned up using electrolysis then bilt hammer wax inside them see you Sunday Baz, Rob.

Originally Posted by: g0aku Go to Quoted Post

Sorry I forgot to say those lovely Carver Clamps took me back to my fabrication days, and yes one can get worked up about those Carvers , Rob.

Thanks Rob, I've wanted to have a go at electrolysis for a while after seeing the results. You'll have to show the results on the forum.

And that Carver clamp is an awesome bit of kit. I was given mine but (I know, lucky sod) and I know it'll outlast me it's that well made. We a new mezzanine floor put in at work and they were using a couple of them for various jobs.

And your car looks great in neo green, love that colour. 

Originally Posted by: Bettabuilda Go to Quoted Post

Thats pretty neat!  Your car could pass muster at a quarter of that IMO 

Barrie

Thanks for the nice comment, you're doing a great job on your red Mk3. 

1 user thanked Bannedbiker for this useful post.
Bettabuilda on 10/08/2018(UTC)
Chillax
#127 Posted : 09 August 2018 20:48:21(UTC)
Chillax

Man

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 38 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Bannedbiker Go to Quoted Post

Anyway....last November we bought a garage. With a bungalow attached. 

Lmao Now theres a man who thinks like me! Made me chuckle that mate! Stunning little mx5, love the attention to detail you've put into it mate along witht he custom made parts. Love it. i'm looking at a silver NA just now, hoping to go and view it on Saturday. If it's anywhere close to as good as yours I'll be well happy!

Drives: Mk1 Mazda MX5 NA. Life is a journey best travelled with the top down! https://futureclassiccars.uk

1 user thanked Chillax for this useful post.
Bannedbiker on 16/11/2018(UTC)
Bannedbiker
#128 Posted : 20 January 2019 23:06:28(UTC)
Bannedbiker

I haven't had much time to play with the Mazda in the last few months, first work got really busy over the Summer (moving the workshop) and then I got another toy to play with.

Yes, it's a MR2. And it's the same one I owned briefly in 2017.

When I sold it to my friend Dave I asked if I could have first refusal if he was to ever sell it. In September he kept his promise.

So I now have two Japanese 2 seat sports cars. I'm planning on using the MR2 as more of an everyday car, one that won't matter so much if it gets a scratch.

I've got a few jobs to do when the weather warms up, replace a noisy gearbox bearing and rebuild the engine as it's come over all Toyota and has the usual oil control ring issues.

But that's enough about that, today I managed to do a couple of jobs to the Mazda I'd been meaning to do for a while;

Replace the radiator hoses,

Flush the cooling system and refill with new antifreeze,

Swap the front anti-roll bar over.

I'd had a front anti-roll bar powder coated several years ago but as the old one wasn't too bad it never got swapped over. While I was dropping the engine undertray I noticed the coating had started to blister. As the radiator hoses were coming off now seemed like a good time to put the refurbished one on.

There isn't much room to move the bar round with air-con and power steering pipes in the way. Of course the sensible thing to do would've been to jack the car up but as the car was parked on a slope I didn't really want to unless absolutely necessary. After a few minutes of trying it one way or another I solved the puzzle and the anti-roll bar was on the floor. Now just had to get the new one in. I'd wrapped it in a long plastic bag while it was stored away, this with some extra tape round the ends would stop it getting scratched as I threaded it into the car.

With it back in place the bushes were given a light smear of silicone grease, clamps done up and the bar ends fitted to the drop links.

Now the radiator hoses could be replaced.

I've got a tool made by Facom that is great for loosening hoses that have stuck in place, it clamps onto the hose and you can wiggle it free.

Once the hoses were back in place I could refill the system. I'd already flushed it several times before everything was dismantled so I knew it was all clean, the expansion tank was removed to give it a clean out as well. The anti-freeze was diluted with water I'd collected from a dehumidifier over the year, I'd saved it for this purpose. A lot cheaper than de-ionised water as well.

One casualty during today's fettling was the expansion tank cap, it cracked as I removed it. I suppose the 22 year old plastic had finally become brittle.

Luckily I had a spare one tucked away, it's yellow instead of the original white but it'll do.

So why was I outside on a freezing cold Sunday in January when the sensible thing would've been to stay indoors. Well, in a couple of months time the car will be among 4 or 5 other cars from the other car club I'm in on their stand at the Restoration Show at the NEC. I've wanted to do it for ages so when the opportunity came I jumped at the chance.

Now got to get several other jobs done in the next couple of months, think I'll be spending a lot of time in thermal overalls.

H1S VRB
#129 Posted : 22 January 2019 21:23:39(UTC)
H1S VRB

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Ooh I've always loved that last generation merde, Martin (well, apart from the clumsy headlights) - and still have an itch that may well be scratched one day (but will have to be a red'un).

Tell us more about how it drives, practicality of ownership, rusty bits etc etc? - esp compared to your NA.

Looks lovely.

Steve

Steve Clark
1994 NA 1.8 S-Special Chaste White
1996 NA VR-Ltd B Green Mica
2007 NC 2.0 Copper Red

Bannedbiker
#130 Posted : 27 January 2019 17:33:24(UTC)
Bannedbiker

Hi Steve, I wondered what you were calling it at first and then it clicked:

Em-er-deux. Probably the reason the name was shortened to Toyota MR for French speaking markets.

I've loved them since they were launched, and seven years ago were it not for seeing several for sale with engine problems I may have bought one of these instead of the Mazda...

In the end the choice of car came down to one, a NA, and if I hadn't bought it there are a lot of good friends I wouldn't have met.

Back to this one though, it's very MX5 NA like to drive. About the same weight, similar engine size and output (both 1.8, MX5 133 bhp and MR2 140 bhp)

The main thing that separates them is in corners; I'm lucky enough to commute on a B road with several nice twisty sections and it's when you start pushing a bit that you can feel the engine is at the rear of the Toyota. It remains planted though. Going on track maybe different as you get closer to the limit.

And now for the main issue with the Toyota: luggage space. We used it for a weekend round friends last year and there is definitely more space for bags in a NA. There are a couple of 'lockers' behind the seats and a cubby hole in the centre of the dash. It does have a glovebox which is more than a ND.

There are several problems the MR2 suffers from and mine has several of them. In no particular order;

Handbrake/rear calipers. The rear cables stretch and the fuel tank has to be dropped to replace them. Calipers suffer a handbrake mechanism that fails, usual repair is a new caliper.

Headlight lenses going cloudy. Same as any other car with plastic headlights. About £165 a side brand new or £50 secondhand.

Lower universal joint on steering column is exposed and the joint rusts and dries out. New one is about £190.

Gearbox suffers bearing failure. If there was more room you could replace the bearings without dropping the gearbox but the chassis is in the way. 

Rear subframe corrodes. Again, it's an exposed part and secondhand one's are readily available. Not a big job to swap over, just one to check if looking at a car.

Pre-cats. Due to the way these engines suck a bit of the exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber on each intake stroke (saving on having a separate EGR system). The pre-cats (two small catalytic converters built into the exhaust manifold) can get damaged if the engine starts burning oil, then breaking up. Simplest thing to do is to either replace the manifold with a tubular one or to remove it, knock the pre-cats out and then replace the manifold. The main catalytic converter is further down the exhaust and is enough to pass the MOT emissions test on it's own.

Engine. The 1zz-fe engine isn't the best. It's a torquey lump which allowed the higher gearing Toyota gave these, the main issue is oil consumption. The oil control rings gum up with carbon making them stick. Only real remedy is drop the engine. Some people drop a different engine in, The 190 bhp 2zz engine used in a Celica or Lotus Elise is a popular choice.

So what have I got to do? Subframe and calipers are fine, and I've already removed the pre-cats. In April (when the weather has started to warm up) I'll be dropping the engine and gearbox to replace the gearbox bearing, piston rings and timing chain. Headlights are a bit cloudy so will be replaced later. But that's about it.

One good thing about these is they don't seem to rust apart from the bolt on rear subframe, and the rear wings are bolt on.

And the price at the moment is about as low as they'll go, a good one is available for £1500 which is the price range NA's were when I bought mine in 2012.

Edited by user 27 January 2019 17:53:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified