Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

safetymatch
#1 Posted : 29 July 2018 15:16:20(UTC)
safetymatch

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 192 time(s) in 173 post(s)

I have had a STOP & GO tyre plugger kit in my car for over 5 years and never had cause to use it.

Yesterday my youngest son had a puncture and managed to swap the spare over by himself, thereby allowing him to get home without calling muggins out.

As all the local tyre places are shut with it being Sunday, i decided to give the STOP & GO a try, out with the punctured wheel bearing in mind he had removed the nail and we didn't know what angle the nail had pierced the tyre, using the instructions (as you do) i rasped the hole out and re-plugged the tyre.

Soaped the tyre up and it took a good 15 seconds before the very slightest of bubbling appeared, now whether it was down to me not getting the angle of the hole right or the plugs seemed to be powdery whereas i think they where slightly lubricated when i first got the kit.

All in all it was a 99% success and it would definitely have got him home.

If anyone can answer, do the tyre plugs need to be lubricated and do they have a shelf life, personally i think i got the angle wrong.

Link...https://www.stopngo.com/

Marble White icon.
Stainless quad tipped exhaust, Lowered, 17" RS alloy wheels, K+N filter and a few shiny bits.
BLYTON stickered,i'm a record breaker!
GPS tracker fitted.
Lang'd to WIM spec's.
Ex 2.5vvt sport.
Stebel horn.
Vented bonnet.
Winner MK3 lightly modified, Kelmarsh Hall 6.9.2015.
rhino666
#2 Posted : 29 July 2018 16:45:27(UTC)
rhino666

Man

Was thanked: 650 time(s) in 622 post(s)

Not used the stop and go repair kit but have used much similar but far cheaper repair systems with rubber strings.

Have a look at these reviews - may answer your question...........

Stop and Go reviews 

The very cheap rubber strings work really well. Because the string is very flexible rubber, the seal would probably be complete without using the rubber cement supplied. On both occasions I have done repairs, I have used the cement. Both repairs 100% successful and last one done over a year ago and car in daily use.

Given the  harder appearance of the rubber on the Stop and Go plugs I would imagine rubber cement would definitely be required.

When you rasped the hole, I would have expected the tool to follow the path of least resistance ie. where the nail went, so doubt this would have caused any issue.

None of my repairs bubbled air and the tyres have not deflated over time.

The kit I bought with all tools required, rubber cement and three rubber strings was ridiculously cheap.      

1997 black 1.6i MK1 - 4/12/2002
1991 red 1.6i Eunos - 21/9/2008

safetymatch
#3 Posted : 29 July 2018 20:47:28(UTC)
safetymatch

Having spoke with my Son again, it wasn't so much a nail but more of a jagged piece of metal with a tie-wrap on the end of it???? so God only knows what it was and the angle it penetrated.

So i'm not going to write the plugger kit off just yet as it would have got him home (if he knew how to use it).

As for the cost if i remember rightly, it was 5 years ago and possibly £21, and it came with at least a dozen plugs.

Because the 5 has no spare tyre it just gives me a bit of reassurance when i'm 100 miles from home.
Marble White icon.
Stainless quad tipped exhaust, Lowered, 17" RS alloy wheels, K+N filter and a few shiny bits.
GPS tracker fitted.
Lang'd to WIM spec's.
Ex 2.5vvt sport.
Stebel horn.
Vented bonnet.
rhino666
#4 Posted : 29 July 2018 21:19:55(UTC)
rhino666

Man

Was thanked: 650 time(s) in 622 post(s)

Well if it was a jagged piece of metal not much chance of a successful repair with any kind of plug - that was bad luck.

These kits are designed to repair holes in the the main body of the tyre made by modest sized nails/screws where carcass damage is minimal.

Your kit would cost a lot more than £21 now.

This is similar if not the exact one I bought.

Cheap but effective puncture repair

I think the Hyundai Coupe 16" spare normally works on the MK3 for peace of mind?     

Edited by user 30 July 2018 08:47:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1997 black 1.6i MK1 - 4/12/2002
1991 red 1.6i Eunos - 21/9/2008

safetymatch
#5 Posted : 29 July 2018 21:30:36(UTC)
safetymatch

Cheers for the link, at that price i might even treat both my Lads to one, sad really as they are both Gold Card Electricians but when it comes to finding a dipstick, it ain't happening. "Daaaad can you...."
Marble White icon.
GPS tracker fitted.
Lang'd to WIM spec's.
Ex 2.5vvt sport.
Stebel horn.
Vented bonnet.
neilfb
#6 Posted : 08 August 2018 15:32:55(UTC)
neilfb

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Over the years I have plugged many motorbike punctures with sticky string, with the tyres giving thousands of miles further use. However, when my tyre fitter was changing my Ducati tyres a few weeks back he noticed the front one had been plugged. He commented that insurance companies view these as a temporary repair and could well refuse to accept any liability in the event of a claim. He advised that in future I bring a tyre in for a permanent repair from the inside of the tyre.