Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
saz9961
#41 Posted : 11 September 2018 18:50:56(UTC)
saz9961

Groups: ForumModerator, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 561 time(s) in 507 post(s)
I would use only Mazda exhaust hangers; aftermarket ones don't stay on.

As for the Ashtray, I don't smoke, so I dissembled it, unpicked the cigerette bit, and reversed the lid the other way, so it now opens over the deepest part of the ashtray. More usable for bottles etc. You lose the tiny little light, but no biggie.

If you have Eunos Roadster seats, the 1.6 seats can't be fitted with the seatbelt stalks on your car (on early cars, the stalks were on the transmission tunnet, on later cars, they were fixed to the seat belly pan. The good news is the belly pans are easily swapped; I have a thread on this

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/...7_Mk1-seat-pan-swap.aspx

Putting the later pan on an early seat gives a bit more thigh support as well.

Or you can just fit early stalks to your car; you will need to cut the carpet to locate a plastic bung on the transmission tunnel that is covering the redundant early seatbelt stalk hard points. On most cars, this will be already threaded, but some cars, mostly UK it seems, there is no thread/captive nut, just a hole.

There might be headrest wiring in the car; have a feel under the carpet, under the seat. But on these later cars, Mazda was pretty brutal in getting rid of anything extraneous (aka value engineering).

My vote is for black leather and red or other contrast, stitching. Piping, in my opinion, always looks aftermarket.

MrMike, in the US, retrims these seats for Triumph (and other classics) owners. He has some great ideas for classic changes to the seats. Might provide some inspiration.

http://mrmikes.com/miata_to_triumph.htm

I do sort of like the Houndstooth cloth/leather combination.

1 user thanked saz9961 for this useful post.
Chillax on 12/09/2018(UTC)
Chillax
#42 Posted : 12 September 2018 20:47:46(UTC)
Chillax

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Thanks for the info Saz. Not had a good look at the seats yet tbh. Don't know if the tombstone seats came from a 1.8 or 1.6, or what year of car they came from. My car is a late model (Dec 97) and 1.6 so not sure if the seat pans will be the same between the my current seats/ the new seats? Didn't pay much attention when we had the driver's seat out to fit the new hood, just know there's like a long bit of metal goes from the seat belt latch on the seat to the rear of the trans tunnel.

I'll have a good look this weekend and compare them. Just my luck, thought it would have been a case of out with the old, in with the new! Lol

I'm going to replace the exhaust with a  stainless steel one (built as close to OEM spec as poss so nice and subtle) so will getting all the rubbers from Mazda prior to this being fitted. Thanks for the heads up on that mate!

I like the idea of reversing the cubby hole sliding door, makes a lot more sense and will be more useable. Will do that this weekend too, so ta for the top tip!

Drives: Mk1 Mazda MX5 NA. Life is a journey best travelled with the top down!
Chillax
#43 Posted : 12 September 2018 20:51:22(UTC)
Chillax

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Oh, one other thing from earlier post in this thread. I did the base idle set by bridging the terminals as suggested in the diagnostic port and adjusting the idle which worked perfect. But I always disconnect the battery when not using the car, and have noticed the idle is now too high? If I do the above procedure to set it, will this be undone every time I disconnect the battery?

Drives: Mk1 Mazda MX5 NA. Life is a journey best travelled with the top down!
rhino666
#44 Posted : 12 September 2018 21:11:56(UTC)
rhino666

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 597 time(s) in 571 post(s)

Base Idle should not be upset by disconnecting the battery on MK1 - MK2,5 cars. There is issue with MK3 on though where the ecu has to relearn settings after a battery disconnection and it can take quite a long time.

I think I read a few posts back that you are planning to get your seats re-upholstered. I have the same car and being honest you can relax with it as never going to be the ultimate MX5 that has to be kept original. On that basis would choose exactly the colour leather/piping/panels. etc that you will most enjoy.    

1997 black 1.6i MK1 - 4/12/2002
1991 red 1.6i Eunos - 21/9/2008

1 user thanked rhino666 for this useful post.
Chillax on 13/09/2018(UTC)
saz9961
#45 Posted : 12 September 2018 21:28:42(UTC)
saz9961

Groups: ForumModerator, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 561 time(s) in 507 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Chillax Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the info Saz. Not had a good look at the seats yet tbh. Don't know if the tombstone seats came from a 1.8 or 1.6, or what year of car they came from. My car is a late model (Dec 97) and 1.6 so not sure if the seat pans will be the same between the my current seats/ the new seats? Didn't pay much attention when we had the driver's seat out to fit the new hood, just know there's like a long bit of metal goes from the seat belt latch on the seat to the rear of the trans tunnel.

I'll have a good look this weekend and compare them. Just my luck, thought it would have been a case of out with the old, in with the new! Lol

I'm going to replace the exhaust with a  stainless steel one (built as close to OEM spec as poss so nice and subtle) so will getting all the rubbers from Mazda prior to this being fitted. Thanks for the heads up on that mate!

I like the idea of reversing the cubby hole sliding door, makes a lot more sense and will be more useable. Will do that this weekend too, so ta for the top tip!

Your seats use the later type of seatbelt latch. Its not a hard job to swap the pans.

The bottom pan is the later type. You can see the welded bracket with a captive nut

The early seat foam has a different profile:

Later has a lump taken out

I just took a lump out

Or just buy early seatbelt receivers. I fitted some to my 96; this car has a rare early style seat where the pan cannot be swapped

Just fitted some cheap Carmate seatbelt latch covers

Edited by user 12 September 2018 21:29:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked saz9961 for this useful post.
Chillax on 14/09/2018(UTC)