Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Roadster Robbie
#21 Posted : 11 October 2018 21:20:58(UTC)
Roadster Robbie

Groups: Administrators, OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 683 time(s) in 646 post(s)

Originally Posted by: JS46 Go to Quoted Post

Hm. I should have checked the 2018 MOT regulations.  I quote:

Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level you'd expect from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

and:

You must use your judgement to assess exhaust noise

The engine speed figures are there and it suggests it's done during the emissions testing phase of the test.  No actual noise limits quoted. nor mention of a sound level meter to be used.

JS

From memory, that wording or similar has been in the testers manual for years. I think the key words there are "unreasonably", "similar" and "average"

Disclaimer

Any work you do to your car is entirely your own responsibility. If in doubt, you should check technical advice with an independent , qualified person who has seen your car.

mx5eastern.co.uk - havemorefun.co.uk - merlotmotorsport.co.uk - roadsterrobbie.com

NA: RS Limited (Special car)
NA: Project Merlot (Track car)
NC: 1.8 Option Pack (Not Really my car)
ND: 1.5 Sport Nav Soft Top Soul Red Crystal (Wow! What a colour!)
Gerryn
#22 Posted : 11 October 2018 22:27:31(UTC)
Gerryn

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 355 post(s)

Just for the record, additional regulations came into effect from this date:

MOT rule changes: 20 May 2018
English Cymraeg
The MOT test changed on 20 May 2018, with new defect types, stricter rules for diesel car emissions, and some vehicles over 40 years old becoming exempt.

Published 20 March 2018
Last updated 20 May 2018 — see all updates
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency

If your car was tested before this date, you have till May 19th next year to make any adjustments. - Depending on your normal test date of course. (whichever occurs first).

Edited by user 11 October 2018 22:30:43(UTC)  | Reason: Added comment.

Five is Alive 2002 Mk2.5 Sport, with added Mazda body kit, 15 inch Rota Circuit 8 with Toyos, rescued wood rim steering wheel from a crashed Arizona. Air intake mods to come (one day!) Hard Dog Deuce rollbar. and HT (permanent fixture!) - It's still a sportscar.
saz9961
#23 Posted : 11 October 2018 23:47:40(UTC)
saz9961

Groups: ForumModerator, OCMember, Registered

Thanks Given:
Was thanked: 590 time(s) in 530 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Chillax Go to Quoted Post

Oh, and for qualify exhaust, I'd recommend Powerflow. We got the cat back system custom made for our civic Aerodeck over 7 years ago and the sound is exactly the same as the day it was fitted. Exhaust still looks like new!

Dave

Depends on the franchise. My 96 came with a Powerflow back box that had been bodged onto the factory exhaust.

Martin Young
#24 Posted : 12 October 2018 11:29:38(UTC)
Martin Young

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 38 post(s)

I can't help thinking that Gerry's car would probably have passed had he not drawn the tester's attention to the loud exhaust and supplied a stock replacement.

It makes sense that the MOT requires a subjective judgement made the tester because any measurement would be greatly affected by the particular building it's tested in so wouldn't be consistent from one location to another.  Each tester, after all, is testing cars in the same environment every day, and can probably judge pretty well what's a faulty (or deliberately loud) exhaust.  I suppose from the tester's point of view, they'd have to be really confident the exhaust was too loud otherwise the rejection would be challenged.

'94 Roadster + MP62
Gerryn
#25 Posted : 12 October 2018 12:52:41(UTC)
Gerryn

Man

Was thanked: 407 time(s) in 355 post(s)
Martin, you have a point, but frankly, were I a tester, no way would I have passed it. As long as I ran it and stayed at 2K revs, the noise was just about passable, but at half speed revs, it would blow your socks off! As I described it earlier, the noise level was embarrassing. At 2K revs, you are motoring in lower gears, but extending the rev range would have meant going faster, in a higher gear, and that's when your nerves kick in!
That certainly brought an end to my fast starts, and 'spirited' driving.
Five is Alive 2002 Mk2.5 Sport, with added Mazda body kit, 15 inch Rota Circuit 8 with Toyos, rescued wood rim steering wheel from a crashed Arizona. Air intake mods to come (one day!) Hard Dog Deuce rollbar. and HT (permanent fixture!) - It's still a sportscar.