Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
RoryK
#41 Posted : 26 October 2016 17:10:35(UTC)
RoryK

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: mamil Go to Quoted Post
Just joined the owners club and has been looking through your thread.

Its fantastic inspiration!

Thanks buddy, glad my work inspires others and welcome to the club!

RoryK
#42 Posted : 16 February 2018 21:00:30(UTC)
RoryK

*Blows the dust off the thread*

Where have I been? In short other car projects... but lets stick with the good stuff and the good news is I still have the MX5! I am not one to never finish a project, although over my quiet time with this project my plans have changed dramatically.

So just a quick recap and putting the thread back on track the MX5 is still pretty much the same as before except this time I went about test fitting some ropey old school Recaro bucket seats (These are actually the same shape and age as the recaro confetti just different fabric), but sadly as shown in the pictures the fit wasn't great, being a 6,2" Bloke on the chubby side I needed the extra space "As she said" the extra couple of inches makes a massive differences so I'll be putting the original tombstones back in, any advice on bucket seats that fit for bigger blokes would be appreciated!

Next up? those bloody sub frames are coming off and being blasted with new bushes! I mean it this time! Time frame to get this thing back together? being realistic with Baby on the way, a new house to move into and generally life and other commitments I want to get it built by August 2019 which is my next Nurburgring trip, I'm excited to be back anyway! and the content should be coming a little more often as I am going to try my hand at welding and Vinyl wrapping.. terrifying..

Edited by user 04 June 2018 10:44:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RoryK
#43 Posted : 17 February 2018 17:58:46(UTC)
RoryK

Today I drove half way around the M25 to collect a front and rear bumper as I had previously thrown mine out due to condition and rust forcing me to cut some tabs off, but sadly the condition of these isn't up to my standard so back on eBay they will go and I will continue to try and find a reliable breaker, or bite the bullet and source genuine new parts 

l][/URL]

Edited by user 17 February 2018 18:31:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RoryK
#44 Posted : 03 March 2018 20:13:21(UTC)
RoryK

Earlier on in the thread I pointed out that the front cross member has some bad tin worm and had seen better days which I was going to patch repair but since then I decided this approach wasn't good enough and ordered a new panel from MX5Parts... I have also decided I am going to teach myself how to weld so that I can do as much of this project myself, so a gas mig welder is winging its way to my door step as we speak 

And for reference the old panel to be replaced, the rot actually appears under the bumper mounting brackets just incase this can be of any use or reference to someone else 

Edited by user 03 March 2018 20:46:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RoryK
#45 Posted : 15 March 2018 11:26:36(UTC)
RoryK

Progress has been made! Took delivery of a 6 speed gearbox earlier in the week which should help with managing the overall power increase 

I have now sold all my other cars allowing me to free up more garage space, and in return means I now have space to crack on with this build, jacking her up nice and high I made a start on dropping the front subframe.

Nervous at the idea of the sub-frame bolts snapping on me I took my time, plenty on penetration oil and heat and those suckers come off with ease which was a relief as no one likes a snapped subby stud!

Sub frame off I continued to brake it down ready to be sent off to be blasted and powder-coated, the control arms need some more attention as the castle nuts connecting the upper and lower bushed to the hub have seen better days, so plenty of heat will be needed, this is far as I got though as I was running out of daylight!

Also I new the front suspension was bad at the time.. I just have no idea they were going to be this bad!

Next steps as mentioned is to break down the arms and remove all the old bushes etc and have them sent off for blasting and coating, whilst that is being done I can crack on with cleaning up the engine bay ready for painting, and cleaning the arches for under sealing.

Edited by user 15 March 2018 11:30:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lanzasmurf
#46 Posted : 02 June 2018 17:06:57(UTC)
Lanzasmurf

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Hi Roryk, I'm a new member and have just picked up your posts - they make fascinating reading and it's clear you are puting in a lot of work into the total rebuild. Looking forward to the future installments and seeing the progress and, indeed, the finished result!
In the meantime, I hope you don't mind if am a bit cheeky and ask if you have disposed of the original seats?
I have a 1990 Miata and my drivers seat backrest cover is wearing out. I am looking to replace it with the passenger side one from a rhd Eunos as I think the seats are the same.
Cheers
Sam
RoryK
#47 Posted : 04 June 2018 10:42:38(UTC)
RoryK

Originally Posted by: Lanzasmurf Go to Quoted Post
Hi Roryk, I'm a new member and have just picked up your posts - they make fascinating reading and it's clear you are puting in a lot of work into the total rebuild. Looking forward to the future installments and seeing the progress and, indeed, the finished result!
In the meantime, I hope you don't mind if am a bit cheeky and ask if you have disposed of the original seats?
I have a 1990 Miata and my drivers seat backrest cover is wearing out. I am looking to replace it with the passenger side one from a rhd Eunos as I think the seats are the same.
Cheers
Sam

Thanks for the kind words Sam! Progress is slow at the moment due to moving house but hoping to put some updates up soon!

I do have a mint pair that just require a good vac as they are abit grubby, but unfortunately I am not quite ready to let them go as I am struggling to find a set of buckets that will fit the car and give me enough leg space.

I'll drop you a PM incase anything changes, but until then happy hunting :)

Lanzasmurf
#48 Posted : 04 June 2018 14:09:33(UTC)
Lanzasmurf

Hi RoryK. Thanks for your response. I'll keep looking. I look forward to your future updates.
ben_tucka
#49 Posted : 04 June 2018 19:19:14(UTC)
ben_tucka

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 29 post(s)
What a brilliant thread I really want a mk1 restoration project now.
Keep the posts coming I've now saved this in my favourites so I can keep track of your progress I'm eager to see what's next for the 5.

Are you still planning on naturally aspirated or is a supercharger turning up or maybe a v6 :)

Ben.
12 Plate Venture edition, Crystal White Pearlescent, 2.0L, Retractable Hard top
RoryK
#50 Posted : 04 June 2018 21:35:42(UTC)
RoryK

Originally Posted by: ben_tucka Go to Quoted Post
What a brilliant thread I really want a mk1 restoration project now.
Keep the posts coming I've now saved this in my favourites so I can keep track of your progress I'm eager to see what's next for the 5.

Are you still planning on naturally aspirated or is a supercharger turning up or maybe a v6 :)

Ben.

Thank Ben! Glad people are still reading and enjoying this thread.. hoping to have some updates this week so keep your eyes peeled :)

In regards to the power plans: Basically I change my mind pretty much every day, my friends always give me stick for it so if you ever see me make a post about the power plans... don't take it as my 100% decision....

With that said...hah... right now I am going to do a turbo setup, maybe forge some bits with polishing and porting and some cam upgrades, but ultimately with any decision I choose to go with I just want an reliable engine and manageable power with good delivery and a nice top end. The mk1 I think is a fantastically balanced car as it is so I am just trying to up level that balance a bit so I guess I am trying to do factory performance +1.. or even +2 if I can tune the engine and running gear correctly.

Edited by user 04 June 2018 21:36:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Chillax
#51 Posted : 14 August 2018 23:48:07(UTC)
Chillax

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)

Loving this thread mate, have just read it from the start right up to here. I love seeing a proper restoration like this, would love to do this but well above my capabilities. Will be following this one for sure!!! Keep up the good work!

Drives: Mk1 Mazda MX5 NA. Life is a journey best travelled with the top down!

RoryK
#52 Posted : 05 October 2018 22:53:27(UTC)
RoryK

Just a small update, recently took delivery of this pair of brand new OEM front bumper brackets, the ones taken off my shell were rotten and its very hard to find these in good condition and rot free second hand, so felt very lucky to source a brand new pair which is just as hard to find!

I have also started stripping down the front sub frame, all bushes have now been removed from both upper and lower arms and both upper and lower ball joints have been removed, the lower ball joints required some heat and hammer persuasion but they popped out eventually :)

Just the rear sub frame and hubs need stripping down and then it's all ready to be sent off the the blasters for treatment and coating :)

TS
#53 Posted : 06 October 2018 11:04:22(UTC)
TS

Man

Great thread mate. loving the wheels, can't wait to see them on your car
RoryK
#54 Posted : 06 October 2018 22:41:04(UTC)
RoryK

Originally Posted by: TS Go to Quoted Post
Great thread mate. loving the wheels, can't wait to see them on your car

Thanks buddy, it is slow progress but I keep chipping away which is the important thing, the wheel plans have changes slightly also and she won't be sitting on the Grids anymore 

RoryK
#55 Posted : 07 November 2018 16:49:47(UTC)
RoryK

Following on with stripping the front sub frame, all that was left was to split the hubs, pretty straight forward and a short trip to the local tool store for a 22mm socket and I had them broken down in a matter of minutes, most of this can be salvaged but I will be replacing the hubs for some new ones for peace of mind, the brake shields will likely be put aside as I plan to put some bigger brakes on the car and new caps will need to be ordered as the originals are dented / chipped.

With that done I got the subframe, 2 sets of arms and the knuckles loaded up to drop off at the local sand blasters and powder coating company to be finished in satin black

and 3 weeks later (I told them not to rush as this is a slow build) they were complete, very happy with the result! Polybush set will be ordered soon..

Next up is to deal with all the nuts and bolts removed from the sub frame, which have been left in a bath of deox.. ordered myself a bench grinder with wire wheel and zinc plating kit to get these back to better than factory finish hopefully!

Chillax
#56 Posted : 07 November 2018 21:10:04(UTC)
Chillax

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 19 post(s)

Wishbones and subframe look superb mate! Such a good read this!

Drives: Mk1 Mazda MX5 NA. Life is a journey best travelled with the top down!