Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Gerryn
#21 Posted : 09 November 2018 19:14:35(UTC)
Gerryn

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 439 time(s) in 385 post(s)
Just remembered (Thanks to Richards post) I have still three Books by Von Daniken, always slated by most other writers, but some compelling theories expounded within. If you are a UFO nut (I tend to be) then they are very interesting. He was accused of sensation seeking, but the symbols on the plains at Nazca are not easily explained, nor are some of the objects that Daniken turned up. He goes right back to biblical times.

You either believe (totally) in God and religious happenings back in time, or you realize there are other ways to view ancient events viewed from a modern perspective. Events described in the bible relate to ancient beliefs, viewed by non scientific people who could only relate what happend down to an act of God, where modern science tells us there are other ways to interpret what actually happend. One mans view only? - That's debatable. You either have an open mind or a closed one.

On a historical note, when in Canada I bought a book by a Canadian author, who wrote about the life and death of Richard 2nd. Concerning the supposed murder of the royal brothers, he disputed that as at the behest of Richard, but rather pointed at Henry Tudor for doing it, after Richard's death. At the end of the book, he included evidence he claimed to have found, a letter from a gaoler in the Tower of London, who wrote home to his wife - after Richard's death, that the royal brothers were still alive and well.

Thinking that I had long lost this book, I bought the same one from Amazon, wanting to refresh my memory.
Was the letter from the gaoler still in it? - NO.
You either assume it's down to English censorship - (We don't like that reference) - or you figure it was incidental to the truth , as viewed from an English perspective. We love Will Shakespeare, but he was it seems, driven by a desire to please the reign of Henry Tudor. - You could say he was a whitewash artist.

Both subjects a favorite of Saz, who loves slamming down my theories! - Wait for it.

We are taught English history at school, but it's interesting to see the world perspective of our deeds throughout the world - from rape, murder, pillage and slavery, all common to them, while we extolled our virtue at 'Freeing the world'. Americans vaunt their historical significance, but they too are guilty, as many empire builders are.- There's a long list in history books, but not always the English ones. Driving force at the end of the trail, money, power and wealth. Currently the aim is minerals and oil, again a source of the same principles. Keep an eye on China, also empire bent.
Five is Alive 2002 Mk2.5 Sport, with added Mazda body kit, 15 inch Rota Circuit 8 with Toyos, rescued wood rim steering wheel from a crashed Arizona. Air intake mods to come (one day!) Hard Dog Deuce rollbar. and HT (permanent fixture!) - It's still a sportscar.
 1 user thanked Gerryn for this useful post.
Countryboy on 09/11/2018(UTC)
DaveB63
#22 Posted : 09 November 2018 19:19:54(UTC)
DaveB63

Man

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 44 post(s)

Earlier than that.Mid 80s I think,so possibly Brothers In Arms.

Very good Mr. Roadie

1 user thanked DaveB63 for this useful post.
Roadie on 09/11/2018(UTC)
Sonue
#23 Posted : 09 November 2018 19:26:57(UTC)
Sonue

Man

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Originally Posted by: DaveB63 Go to Quoted Post

Earlier than that.Mid 80s I think,so possibly Brothers In Arms.

Very good Mr. Roadie

Yep listened to that as well.

OMG just gotta listen to Sultans of Swing now...

Eunos Roadster S Limited.
Roadie
#24 Posted : 09 November 2018 19:44:31(UTC)
Roadie

Man

Was thanked: 436 time(s) in 354 post(s)

I'll see your Quo and Straits and raise you a Gary Moore, Still got the blues for you.

COG group member

Ex-Purveyor of ZSport badges to the gentry

Mk4 2.0 Sport Nav, Soul Red, Sand leather, Love it!
Mk3 2.0 ZSport, Beyoncé, Sold
Mk1 1.8 Merlot, Wino, Sold
Mk1 1.6 Eunos Classic Red, Roadie, Sold
Countryboy
#25 Posted : 09 November 2018 20:20:07(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 401 time(s) in 362 post(s)

UK/Irish blues?  Rory Gallagher, Chris Rea, Free/Bad Co., Clapton in his many guises.

Oops!  Back on thread.  I also collect DVD's of classic films, TV comedy series and documentaries.

Edited by user 09 November 2018 20:33:42(UTC)  | Reason: Added text

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
Paul W
#26 Posted : 09 November 2018 20:51:53(UTC)
Paul W

Man

Was thanked: 158 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Collections? I say that I buy and sell stuff that has anything to do with engines - whole vehicles with four and two wheels, most of them unusual ones, none of them new. My 1998 MX5 is just one of six roadworthy cars we have here. I have four motorbikes in the garage too, but one belongs to my son and another is my retirement project. My wife says I certainly buy vehicles but don't often sell them.. so in the short term at least, I'm probably a collector.

Having said that, I've made a reasonable profit this year from selling some car parts and spares I've stored for a few years.

I also have a collection of car manuals and other technical books, engine tuning, modifying, supercharging etc.

Most of my spare time is used up working on vehicles, either my own or for others.

Mk2 1.8i, built Jan 1998.
Roadie
#27 Posted : 09 November 2018 21:03:46(UTC)
Roadie

Man

Was thanked: 436 time(s) in 354 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Countryboy Go to Quoted Post

Oops!  Back on thread.

In 'Life, The Universe and (almost) Everything!'. How can we possibly be off thread?

Meanwhile back at the ranch. Somewhere I've got the full set of Esso World cup 1970 coins.

I've also got an amazing collection of grey hairs................. in places I don't really want hairs of any colour.  

COG group member

Ex-Purveyor of ZSport badges to the gentry

Mk4 2.0 Sport Nav, Soul Red, Sand leather, Love it!
Mk3 2.0 ZSport, Beyoncé, Sold
Mk1 1.8 Merlot, Wino, Sold
Mk1 1.6 Eunos Classic Red, Roadie, Sold
Countryboy
#28 Posted : 09 November 2018 21:13:10(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 401 time(s) in 362 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Roadie Go to Quoted Post

I've also got an amazing collection of grey hairs................. in places I don't really want hairs of any colour.  

The mind absolutely boggles!  No, we don't want to pursue that line of enquiry!

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
DaveODZ
#29 Posted : 09 November 2018 22:37:58(UTC)
DaveODZ

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Evening

I collect watches, about 30 at last count.

My other collection is a little larger, 500 Scalextric cars!

Dave

16 Merc A Class AMG 200 (Daily Workhorse)
60 Mazda Roadster 2.0i BBR 200 (Wifes Car)
12 Mini Cooper 1.6 (Tesco Shopping Trolley)
94 Eunos 1.8i Roadster GONE, but still in family!
Roadster Robbie
#30 Posted : 10 November 2018 01:15:41(UTC)
Roadster Robbie

Groups: Administrators, OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 697 time(s) in 660 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Sonue Go to Quoted Post

...what do others collect?

Tat!

Disclaimer

Any work you do to your car is entirely your own responsibility. If in doubt, you should check technical advice with an independent , qualified person who has seen your car.

mx5eastern.co.uk - havemorefun.co.uk - merlotmotorsport.co.uk - roadsterrobbie.com

NA: RS Limited (Special car)
NA: Project Merlot (Track car)
ND: 1.5 Sport Nav Soft Top Soul Red Crystal (Wow! What a colour!)
phil1806
#31 Posted : 10 November 2018 01:53:18(UTC)
phil1806

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

I think I just have accumulations rather than collections. There's quite a lot of classical music on vinyl, including boxed sets of Mahler and Stravinski. Probably the most interesting is the "too slow" Beethoven's Fifth recorded by Pierre Boulez, which was panned by the critics and withdrawn on the conductor's instructions. It's dark and brooding and any other 5th sounds too fast to me.

I used to play bass guitar and there's two 1970s Gibson Rippers on the wall and a Japanese Fender Precision under the bed, along with sundry amps, tuners, leads etc knocking about.

I like watches and would collect them, but it would upset me not to wear them all. As it is I have two Rolex dress watches, one 1970s inherited from my father, and the other 1950s from my great uncle. I also have a WW2 Elgin pocket watch, a silver pocket watch inscribed inside "Prof Robson 1881", a gold hunter made by an ancestor of mine in the 1890s in Vancouver and a wrist watch apparently by "Sir John Bennett, London". I guess I should take them more seriously.

Edited by user 10 November 2018 01:54:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1992 Eunos V Special Auto Brilliant Black
John Aston
#32 Posted : 10 November 2018 05:57:36(UTC)
John Aston

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 14 post(s)

I own lots of stuff - music , fishing gear , books , car magazines- but I would never describe them as collections. A collection seems to me to be the accumulation of stuff for its own sake , rather than for use .

The only collection I can boast is a quartet of Ferraris - a 250GTO , a Testa Rossa ('57, not ghastly 90s version ), a Dino 246 (the front engined F1 car, not the sports car), a 288 GTO  and an F40. All in rosso corsa , natch.

Sadly , they are all Tipo Burago and are parked on my sideboard with a Lotus Seven.

Edited by user 10 November 2018 18:06:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified