Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Hilux
#21 Posted : 02 February 2019 13:29:05(UTC)
Hilux

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)

Originally Posted by: njkmr Go to Quoted Post

Hi Guys,

had my mx5 just a month or so and have just done a track day at Anglesey.

Car was fantastic I have to say with the stage 2 BBR turbo conversion.

One thing I would like to upgrade though is the brakes .

They did suffer a bit with repeated use on track and I want to put a big brake kit on.

Anybody done this and have any recommendation?

I have looked at the K Sport ones but they seem to go to 2010 models only.

Don't want to spend thousands but if you can suggest what works well for you that would be great

Thanks Guys

Regards

Rob.

What fluid are you using as that is a huge ’must have’ on track.

Quality vented discs, high temperature boiling point fluid and recognised trackday pads with a standard type caliper upgrade will be fine unless you really want to spend out on billet ally callipers. Only other benefit of ally callipers is unsprung weight.

Dont bother with drilled discs, the holes fill up in no time and unless forged with holes like Porsche are drilled which splits the grain and so they crack. Grooved are ok if you are setting them on fire as it allows the gaseous layer to vent and is an easily read wear indicator but with a well matched set up solid will be fine.

****stuff pads used to be ok a few years ago but in my experienced view are now useful only for teenagers in fast road mode.

I always file down the ‘ears’ on the pads so they don’t bind when expanded by heat. They might rattle a bit when cold but will free off fully when seriously warm.

Single pin billet ally caliper pads will always rattle for that reason.

As a starter, better pads with immediate bite and high temp fluid will surprise you with Standard callipers.

Larger callipers with a bigger piston area also affects the mechanical advantage of your current master cylinder/piston area ratio so will need a harder push to stop but the larger pad area means less heat and the bigger disc returns some of the mechanical advantage.

Red 1992 1.6 Eunos Roadster

njkmr
#22 Posted : 02 February 2019 15:51:18(UTC)
njkmr

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi
cheers for the info there,
Yeh ive changed the fluid for Motul RBF 660 dot 4 .
All nice and fresh now.
I had heard that drilled discs can crack but I will see how It goes. They were not too expensive to be honest and will certainly be better than the warped ones that were on.
I was advised to go for Blue stuuf pads which I have put on the rears and the calipers I got came with Wilwood pads for the fronts so again I will see how they go.
Thanks again
Regards
Rob.