Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fidder
#1 Posted : 03 January 2019 12:30:24(UTC)
Fidder

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 21 post(s)

Can anyone shed light on the antics of windows? Not the glass ones but the others. 

I changed browser to Firefox a while ago following sound advice on here and made FF as my default.  Since then I have had several screen invasions from an alarmist Window source telling me a suspect site has been trying to invade me and, I presume, unload seven plagues onto my PC.  On trying to close the interruptions, it repeatedly auto reverts to a strong persuasion to buy additional security from....guess who....Windows.  It takes several attempts to recover from multiple pop-ups to normal preferences but is becoming a ‘thing’.  Am I right in assuming it is an effort by them to recover their loss of ‘me’ and to sell me product or am I unreasonably paranoiac?  I don't think anyone is coming to get me, yet, but it's really annoying.

saz9961
#2 Posted : 03 January 2019 12:39:15(UTC)
saz9961

Groups: ForumModerator, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 636 time(s) in 566 post(s)
Probably need more information on which version of Windows, and screenshots. Given that you are still using Windows, and still have Explorer/Edge installed, they haven't actually "lost" you.

Er, and which websites were triggering the warnings?
 1 user thanked saz9961 for this useful post.
Fidder on 05/01/2019(UTC)
jingars
#3 Posted : 03 January 2019 13:18:41(UTC)
jingars

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

As we are on a car forum I will take a punt on Pistonheads as being the OP's source website, more precisely advertising space on Pistonheads being used for re-directs?

Pretty sure that whatever the screen reports, your warnings are not being presented to you, or sponsored, by Microsoft.

1 user thanked jingars for this useful post.
Raymond Harper
#4 Posted : 03 January 2019 13:25:04(UTC)
Raymond Harper

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 115 post(s)

Far right button on the top click and check content blocking privacy settings. Also download rapport security as many banks advise you have it and use as an extention.

1 user thanked Raymond Harper for this useful post.
Gerryn
#5 Posted : 03 January 2019 14:35:38(UTC)
Gerryn

Man

Was thanked: 492 time(s) in 420 post(s)
Fidder (Happy New Year BTW)

Despite the fact that windows 10 seems to have it's own security, I've been bugged at odd times by someone trying to access my screen page, but I'm always asked 'do I want to allow it or block it'. Obviously I've blocked it, I'm giving nothing away for free. Just installed AV, and it's turned up two malware bugs, which I suspect are the root cause of the problem. AV found them, and because I am being allowed to use the 'Pro' version of AV - for seven days, it also cleaned them up. Right now I'm being offered full access to this for twelve months, at a knocked down price of £19. Obviously like the Barbie doll syndrome, it will increase at renewal time, (substantially) so I'll revert back to the standard version if that occurs. I did run AV for several years before windows ten came out, and it always kept my PC clean, so the conclusion I've come to is windows 10 security is not enough, and I would recommend you add AV to your computer.

The basic form of AV is free, and it's well recommended by good sources to be currently the best around, so worth the effort. Just search for AV, and you should hopefully get what you need for safety. Windows 10 updates securely (like it or not) so doesn't send out messages telling you that you need more security, so NEVER click on any message purporting to come from M/S, when they do not send such messages anyway. They will tell you they want to download updates, and give a choice between now, later, or when you prefer, so they do not normally just dump stuff onto you without warning you first. Treat anything else as doubtful, and ignore it. - But cancel it first.
'Five is Alive' Formerly 2002 Mk2.5 Sport- now sold.
 1 user thanked Gerryn for this useful post.
Keat63
#6 Posted : 03 January 2019 15:20:00(UTC)
Keat63

Man

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 128 post(s)

MalawareBytes is really good at detecting malware.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

The free version isn't proactive, (as in, it doesn't run in the background protecting you of an infection), but you can run a manual scan whenever you want.

If ever i suspect anything, i will install it, run it and then uninstall when i've finished.

In and around Wakefield.
 1 user thanked Keat63 for this useful post.
Countryboy
#7 Posted : 03 January 2019 16:21:01(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 458 time(s) in 407 post(s)

Another vote for Malwarebytes!

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
 1 user thanked Countryboy for this useful post.
DonT
#8 Posted : 03 January 2019 17:52:49(UTC)
DonT

Man

Was thanked: 434 time(s) in 422 post(s)
I have all Apple items, haven’t had any problems
1995 Mazda MX-5 1.8 iS in Classic Red
Winner Standard Mk1 Donington Park National Rally 2016
Winner Standard Mk1 Kelmarsh Hall National Rally 2015
Owned since April 2002
Club Member since April 2002
Nurburgring & Stelvio Pass
BMW 330D M Sport
Peugeot 107
Featured in Modern Classics January 2019
 1 user thanked DonT for this useful post.
trufflehunt
#9 Posted : 03 January 2019 18:26:40(UTC)
trufflehunt

Man

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 89 post(s)

Received wisdom now is I think, on Windows 10, that there really is no need for a separate Antivirus software such as Bitdefender, Avast, AVG etc as 

Windows Defender ( which is part of Windows 10 ) does the antivirus job perfectly well. 

On my laptop, I have Windows Defender switched on for realtime antivirus functionality.

And I've installed Malwarebytes to intercept other malware. 

I use the free version of Malwarebytes which means that I have to tell it when to do a scan. ( I do this every 3 or 4 days . Takes 7 or 8 minutes ).

The Premium Version ( £30 ) gives always-on realtime malware protection. 

1993 MX5 Mk1 1.6 UK Car
2002 VW Golf 1.9 TDI
 1 user thanked trufflehunt for this useful post.
Andy0306
#10 Posted : 03 January 2019 19:49:46(UTC)
Andy0306

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

First port of call before you go buying AV, is to use an online scanner https://www.eset.com/uk/home/online-scanner/ it's free and won't be affected by anything on your PC.

Best thing I did was to buy a Chromebook and use it for online browsing. Built in AV, updates are quick and easy, and only takes a couple of seconds to boot. My wife's Windoze laptop takes an age to boot up. 

1 user thanked Andy0306 for this useful post.
saz9961
#11 Posted : 04 January 2019 08:49:34(UTC)
saz9961

Originally Posted by: jingars Go to Quoted Post

As we are on a car forum I will take a punt on Pistonheads as being the OP's source website, more precisely advertising space on Pistonheads being used for re-directs?

Pretty sure that whatever the screen reports, your warnings are not being presented to you, or sponsored, by Microsoft.

MX5Nutz is riddled.

saz9961
#12 Posted : 04 January 2019 08:51:34(UTC)
saz9961

Originally Posted by: DonT Go to Quoted Post
I have all Apple items, haven’t had any problems

Yet. First virus attack I had was in 1995, on an Apple Mac LCII, halfway through my thesis.

Fidder
#13 Posted : 05 January 2019 15:10:08(UTC)
Fidder

Man

Thanks to all, sorry for the delay in replying, otherwise engaged for a day or two at hospital.

Advice noted, and now exploring the jungle.

Fidder
#14 Posted : 05 January 2019 15:17:56(UTC)
Fidder

Man

Originally Posted by: saz9961 Go to Quoted Post
Probably need more information on which version of Windows, and screenshots. Given that you are still using Windows, and still have Explorer/Edge installed, they haven't actually "lost" you.

Er, and which websites were triggering the warnings?

Thanks saz, W10 but not as a browser default.  The 'inability to find or connect' comes up on trying to log on to various political sites (order-order etc. It may surprised some to know I am vicerally political but, thanks to the regular injections, am able to manage the urge).

Fidder
#15 Posted : 05 January 2019 15:20:37(UTC)
Fidder

Man

Originally Posted by: Gerryn Go to Quoted Post
Fidder (Happy New Year BTW)

Despite the fact that windows 10 seems to have it's own security, I've been bugged at odd times by someone trying to access my screen page, but I'm always asked 'do I want to allow it or block it'. Obviously I've blocked it, I'm giving nothing away for free. Just installed AV, and it's turned up two malware bugs, which I suspect are the root cause of the problem. AV found them, and because I am being allowed to use the 'Pro' version of AV - for seven days, it also cleaned them up. Right now I'm being offered full access to this for twelve months, at a knocked down price of £19. Obviously like the Barbie doll syndrome, it will increase at renewal time, (substantially) so I'll revert back to the standard version if that occurs. I did run AV for several years before windows ten came out, and it always kept my PC clean, so the conclusion I've come to is windows 10 security is not enough, and I would recommend you add AV to your computer.

The basic form of AV is free, and it's well recommended by good sources to be currently the best around, so worth the effort. Just search for AV, and you should hopefully get what you need for safety. Windows 10 updates securely (like it or not) so doesn't send out messages telling you that you need more security, so NEVER click on any message purporting to come from M/S, when they do not send such messages anyway. They will tell you they want to download updates, and give a choice between now, later, or when you prefer, so they do not normally just dump stuff onto you without warning you first. Treat anything else as doubtful, and ignore it. - But cancel it first.

Thanks Gerry, compliments returned!

Drumtochty
#16 Posted : 05 January 2019 16:59:10(UTC)
Drumtochty

Was thanked: 621 time(s) in 572 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Raymond Harper Go to Quoted Post

Far right button on the top click and check content blocking privacy settings. Also download rapport security as many banks advise you have it and use as an extention.

Rapport and Firefox are not friends. To get Rapport to work 100% you either can use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome on a Microsft PC operating system other browsers may work with Rapport.

Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Laurencekirk,
Aberdeenshire
MartinPW
#17 Posted : 06 January 2019 22:54:45(UTC)
MartinPW

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Install an adblocker extension for Firefox as well, something like Ublock Origin, which will kill most of the annoying activity as well as making your browsing experience in general a lot better, also check in the settings menu that pop-up windows are disabled. You can whitelist any sites for which you may need a pop-up to be enabled.

Fidder
#18 Posted : 07 January 2019 14:15:33(UTC)
Fidder

Man

Originally Posted by: MartinPW Go to Quoted Post

Install an adblocker extension for Firefox as well, something like Ublock Origin, which will kill most of the annoying activity as well as making your browsing experience in general a lot better, also check in the settings menu that pop-up windows are disabled. You can whitelist any sites for which you may need a pop-up to be enabled.

Thanks Martin.  I tried Ublock and going to the FFox option but there seems no download button, at least not that I could find. Stop laughing...! 

Mike-McD
#19 Posted : 07 January 2019 14:37:30(UTC)
Mike-McD

Man

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)

Sounds like a browser hijack, try googling "browser hijack Firefox" and you'll get a load of options for rectifiying it

RichardFX
#20 Posted : 07 January 2019 15:51:26(UTC)
RichardFX

Was thanked: 380 time(s) in 349 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Fidder Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: MartinPW Go to Quoted Post

Thanks Martin.  I tried Ublock and going to the FFox option but there seems no download button, at least not that I could find. Stop laughing...! 

In FF go to 'Tools', then 'Add-ons', then 'Get Add-ons', then 'Find More Add-ons' and search down the 'Ad-Blockers' list until you find 'UBlock Origin' and just click on the name to begin the install. You will soon have a little shield symbol appear in the menu bar on the top right.  It is very customisable.

I've been using it for a couple of years now after AdBlock became less good.

2008 Niseko NC 2.0
2016 Mazda3 SE-L Nav 2.0