Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
H1S VRB
#21 Posted : 04 February 2019 18:49:45(UTC)
H1S VRB

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 152 post(s)

My vanity plate was a £250 indulgence when I imported my VR-Limited.  The relevance will be appreciated by about 7 people in the country.

Does that still make me a smug dick?  Probably. 

Steve Clark
1994 NA 1.8 S-Special Chaste White
1996 NA VR-Ltd B Green Mica
2007 NC 2.0 Copper Red

Countryboy
#22 Posted : 04 February 2019 18:53:18(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 428 post(s)

Originally Posted by: H1S VRB Go to Quoted Post

My vanity plate was a £250 indulgence when I imported my VR-Limited.  The relevance will be appreciated by about 7 people in the country.

Does that still make me a smug dick?  Probably. 

No!  If it makes you feel good and doesn't hurt anyone else, go for it!

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
Bettabuilda
#23 Posted : 05 February 2019 11:42:39(UTC)
Bettabuilda

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 282 post(s)

On the mk3, when I bought it, the plate was MX05 DBX, (2007 model year) never thought about it at the time but our names are Dawn & Barrie (DB) and we do love each other, (X).   Never really liked the 05 bit, would have preferred MX5* DBX, anyway when I did the whole GT bit, I got GT 06 GGT, which, with a bit of judicious spacing has become GTO on top line (rectangular plates) and 6G GT on bottom line. On advice from a wise sage on here, I also had the correctly spaced proper format plates made which live in the boot. Sorry officer  forgot to swap them! However, I left Ragley Hall, last National Rally with the wrong ones displayed, I picked up a SP30 on my travels homewards  which converted into a speed awareness course. Anyway the notice came through promptly, with the correct reg and spacing, no mention of the incorrect display. Lucky? or have things eased off on this front, or are things not joined up so an ANPR check might be different? Or, are they the same thing! 

Barrie

COG group member

2007 NC1 1800GT 1st place lightly modified 2018 Spring Rally Goodwood

'91 Eunos, classic red, 2nd place in modified mk1 at 2015 Spring Rally Oulton Park.
SLK User is suspended until 03/05/2027 20:56:14(UTC)
#24 Posted : 05 February 2019 12:34:47(UTC)
SLK

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Bettabuilda Go to Quoted Post

On the mk3, when I bought it, the plate was MX05 DBX, (2007 model year) never thought about it at the time but our names are Dawn & Barrie (DB) and we do love each other, (X).   Never really liked the 05 bit, would have preferred MX5* DBX, anyway when I did the whole GT bit, I got GT 06 GGT, which, with a bit of judicious spacing has become GTO on top line (rectangular plates) and 6G GT on bottom line. On advice from a wise sage on here, I also had the correctly spaced proper format plates made which live in the boot. Sorry officer  forgot to swap them! However, I left Ragley Hall, last National Rally with the wrong ones displayed, I picked up a SP30 on my travels homewards  which converted into a speed awareness course. Anyway the notice came through promptly, with the correct reg and spacing, no mention of the incorrect display. Lucky? or have things eased off on this front, or are things not joined up so an ANPR check might be different? Or, are they the same thing! 

Barrie

They haven't eased  off Barrie, your plate was readable by the ANPR.Its when people interfere with the fonts and it becomes unreadable that the police get upset.

I suppose most plate that have had a slight alteration wouldn't effect a camera.But its one rule I'm afraid so everyone is clear on the legalities.Sorry to see your GT going fella,hope it gets the care and attention of the next owner.

1 user thanked SLK for this useful post.
Bettabuilda on 05/02/2019(UTC)
Roadie
#25 Posted : 05 February 2019 12:44:04(UTC)
Roadie

Man

Was thanked: 520 time(s) in 423 post(s)

Not an MX-5 related plate but one option that came up on a search recently was the HE11O** format. Still many combinations for two letter initials at £399.

COG group member

Ex-Purveyor of ZSport badges to the gentry

Mk4 2.0 Sport Nav, Soul Red, Sand leather, Love it!
Mk3 2.0 ZSport, Beyoncé, Sold
Mk1 1.8 Merlot, Wino, Sold
Mk1 1.6 Eunos Classic Red, Roadie, Sold
RichK
#26 Posted : 05 February 2019 14:44:37(UTC)
RichK

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

We have had same reg on our other (wifes) car for 10 years now of S4 NRX spaced as S4N RX as in the wifes name as San and was on our/her RX8. Never been pulled and had two speeding tickets in it within  6 months of buying it. I wanted to do away with it when we sold the RX but wife wouldn't hear of it so has been passed down to every new car. So we have an RX Vitara now 

ZSport Mk3 2007
rhino666
#27 Posted : 05 February 2019 15:54:43(UTC)
rhino666

Man

Was thanked: 795 time(s) in 756 post(s)

I hope you got something out of your speed awareness course Barrie - I certainly did when caught out by the most successful speed camera in South Devon(Totnes) about 3 years ago.

The police seem to be reasonably relaxed about number plates provided the infringement is not too blatant. I think this stems from the fact that a lot of regular traffic police are bikers with some sympathy.      

1997 black 1.6i MK1 - 4/12/2002
1991 red 1.6i Eunos - 21/9/2008

2 users thanked rhino666 for this useful post.
Roadie on 05/02/2019(UTC), Bettabuilda on 09/02/2019(UTC)
Roadie
#28 Posted : 05 February 2019 18:12:20(UTC)
Roadie

Man

With you on the speed awareness course Rhino666. I did one around four years ago and still getting the benefit from it. Getting more pleasure from my driving now.

Quite obvious looking around the room that there were people there who didn't want to learn anything. They obviously knew far more than the people leading the course! One of the instructors was an ex-police accident investigator. I got so many useful hints, tips and insights from him. I really enjoyed it. Almost worth doing 36 while slowing into a 30 limit again.

COG group member

SLK User is suspended until 03/05/2027 20:56:14(UTC)
#29 Posted : 05 February 2019 18:33:34(UTC)
SLK

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Roadie Go to Quoted Post

With you on the speed awareness course Rhino666. I did one around four years ago and still getting the benefit from it. Getting more pleasure from my driving now.

Quite obvious looking around the room that there were people there who didn't want to learn anything. They obviously knew far more than the people leading the course! One of the instructors was an ex-police accident investigator. I got so many useful hints, tips and insights from him. I really enjoyed it. Almost worth doing 36 while slowing into a 30 limit again.

Bang on! i went on one a few month ago and its an eye opener.A reminder that we should not get complacent & think we know it all,just because we haven't  had an accident in 30yrs.I've had a clean licence since passing my test in 87.I got done doing 57 in 50 and initially thought its only 7mph & felt it was a bit harsh.But once you see the stats,its terrifying to see what just 5mph extra had on impact.The awareness course should even be taken when you take the points. Taking the points but not having the chance to be educated doesn't remind you that your not perfect.In fact i would go as far as saying,everyone should be made to go on this course every 10ys.  

What i found really disturbing was at the end you all press a button on the remote to say whether or not the course was beneficial & that you had gained something out of the course. 25% out of a class of about 30 voted no! I could understand if it was a room full of arrogant kids, but this class was made up of 40/60 yr olds.Terrifying to thing thst those people are out there driving.

Edited by user 05 February 2019 18:50:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked SLK for this useful post.
Roadie on 09/02/2019(UTC)
tfrgreen
#30 Posted : 09 February 2019 11:58:52(UTC)
tfrgreen

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 40 post(s)

Originally Posted by: saz9961 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Paul W Go to Quoted Post
My other sports car, as per my avatar, has a plate with three letters and three numbers. It bears no actual resemblance to me, but it's three letters are the initials of my wife's parents. It was donated to me on the basis that I don't ever sell it. It came into the family when it was put on the last car my late father in law owned. It suits my car because it is an old fashioned looking design and the 1986 'C' prefix number it was originally issued with didn't look quite right

Careful. I was issued a fine for reusing a plate that was transferred from one MX5 to another. The plate in question was originally issued in 1997, and the plate made was compliant with the regulations of the day. The registration number was transferred to another MX5 in 2005, but, in ignorance, I reused the same plate, rather than having a new plate made. In 2001, plate regulations changed, but there was grandfathering. Pre-2001 registrations were unaffected. But moving the plate over counted as a new registration.

The police will no longer issue producers. You are fined on the spot, escalating with subsequent offences. On the third offence, the registration number is withdrawn.

If the inherited plate was issued to your other sports car, if that was after 2001, then you need to ensure it is compliant with the 2001 regulations. The police cited me for font size, and lack of maker's name, even though it had a BS number.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/made

My god, how bored must that Policeman have been?

1993 Eunos race car competing with no budget again in 2017 750 mc 5. Series. 1994 1.8 road car. All bling. 1991 1.6 Road car., totally original auto. Sheds of bits, probably enough to to make another.
Cypher
#31 Posted : 09 February 2019 12:17:07(UTC)
Cypher

Man

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 78 post(s)

Not an MX-5 related plate but one option that came up on a search recently was the HE11O** format. Still many combinations for two letter initials at £399.

Yep, I have HE11OMX or as many see it at the shows Hello MX. Been offered silly money for it many times.

HELLO MX

John

Edited by user 09 February 2019 12:19:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you find the post useful - press the "Thank" button above.

Sunny Norfolk............

2011 NC2 Miyako (Special Edition) PRHT in Aluminium Silver
Secretly customized...........ish
 2 users thanked Cypher for this useful post.
Bettabuilda on 09/02/2019(UTC), Roadie on 09/02/2019(UTC)
Bettabuilda
#32 Posted : 09 February 2019 12:20:27(UTC)
Bettabuilda

Was thanked: 327 time(s) in 282 post(s)

Originally Posted by: rhino666 Go to Quoted Post

I hope you got something out of your speed awareness course Barrie - I certainly did when caught out by the most successful speed camera in South Devon(Totnes) about 3 years ago.

The police seem to be reasonably relaxed about number plates provided the infringement is not too blatant. I think this stems from the fact that a lot of regular traffic police are bikers with some sympathy.      

TBH, yes I did get something to take away with me  I also told everyone that would listen, about the course. I can actually see the venue for the course from my lounge window! it is on the first floor though with only fields up to the road. Wasn't until I booked in that I knew it was held there? Very handy but hopefully won't be going again!  The big thing was the massive increase in stopping distances as speed increases, very thought provoking.

Barrie

COG group member

2007 NC1 1800GT 1st place lightly modified 2018 Spring Rally Goodwood

'91 Eunos, classic red, 2nd place in modified mk1 at 2015 Spring Rally Oulton Park.
 1 user thanked Bettabuilda for this useful post.
RichardFX
#33 Posted : 09 February 2019 12:28:40(UTC)
RichardFX

Was thanked: 390 time(s) in 358 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Bettabuilda Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: rhino666 Go to Quoted Post

TBH, yes I did get something to take away with me  I also told everyone that would listen, about the course. I can actually see the venue for the course from my lounge window! it is on the first floor though with only fields up to the road. Wasn't until I booked in that I knew it was held there? Very handy but hopefully won't be going again!  The big thing was the massive increase in stopping distances as speed increases, very thought provoking.

Barrie

Agreed. This is backed up by basic Physics.

Braking needs to dissipate Kinetic Energy, which is a half X Mass x Velocity SQUARED.  ie twice as fast has four times the energy to cook the brakes and tyres.

2008 Niseko NC 2.0
2016 Mazda3 SE-L Nav 2.0
Roadie
#34 Posted : 09 February 2019 12:29:07(UTC)
Roadie

Man

Cypher - I did look to see if HE11O MX had gone and sure enough it had. Good to know it's someone on here. Did the DVLA screw you for a large wedge or was it one of the £399 ones? A bargain if it was. I thought long and hard before I handed over £999 for MX5 5OUL.

Bettabuilda - Yes the stopping distances amazed and shocked me too. If you drive down a motorway at 70mph and see standing traffic ahead but have sufficient distance to stop all is well. Approach the same scene at 100mph and brake in the same place and you will hit the standing traffic at 70mph.

COG group member

Cypher
#35 Posted : 09 February 2019 12:49:27(UTC)
Cypher

Man

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 78 post(s)

Cypher - I did look to see if HE11O MX had gone and sure enough it had. Good to know it's someone on here. Did the DVLA screw you for a large wedge or was it one of the £399 ones? A bargain if it was. I thought long and hard before I handed over £999 for MX5 5OUL.

Bettabuilda - Yes the stopping distances amazed and shocked me too. If you drive down a motorway at 70mph and see standing traffic ahead but have sufficient distance to stop all is well. Approach the same scene at 100mph and brake in the same place and you will hit the standing traffic at 70mph.

Not got the orignal bill of sale from them to hand, but think the wife (christmas present to me) paid less (than they are currently asking people to pay.....) 3 years ago + transfer fees. It will be sold with the car should the event happen in the future.

Car will be going to Spain soon were it will be registered on a Spanish plate and the UK reg held on a (V317 form) retention document. I beleive that can happen for up to 10 years.

Edited by user 09 February 2019 12:54:40(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

If you find the post useful - press the "Thank" button above.

Sunny Norfolk............

2011 NC2 Miyako (Special Edition) PRHT in Aluminium Silver
Secretly customized...........ish
 1 user thanked Cypher for this useful post.
IanH
#36 Posted : 09 February 2019 16:30:33(UTC)
IanH

Groups: AC, Administrators, ContentManagement, ForumModerator, OCACA_33, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 456 time(s) in 344 post(s)

Quite partial to my plate and always happy for an opportunity to show it off, this was a £249 one from DVLA, been on 3 different cars now.

1 user thanked IanH for this useful post.
Cypher on 09/02/2019(UTC)
Countryboy
#37 Posted : 09 February 2019 16:52:13(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

It's the ZZZ's that worry me.....they remind me of snoring.  But I'm sure there's never any chance of being "asleep at the wheel".  Sorry, I just had to get that in, it was a group I liked years ago.

COG group member

Roadie
#38 Posted : 09 February 2019 16:54:40(UTC)
Roadie

Man

Zoom Zoom Zoom!

Quite a few nice plates if you look hard enough. I considered MX55SSS which looks rather like five fives. Somebody snapped that one up relatively cheaply and it is on a ZSport. Anybody here? While looking at the HE110** sequence I checked out HE11 YES. Somebody has that on an Audi TT.

It's all horses for courses so whatever you fancy then go for it. I went for mine because although it's my plate that I love and MX5 related it's not personalised to me. There will always be a bigger market for MX5 5OUL, MX51 ZZZ or HE11O MX than for the popular series MX5 4 ***. Not that I want to sell mine anyway.

Rather disappointing to know that the plates MX5 and M1ATA are on a Passat and a Mazda 2.

COG group member

Countryboy
#39 Posted : 09 February 2019 17:12:50(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Zoom Zoom Zoom!

Yes of course!  Silly me, I totally forgot that!

COG group member

Roadie
#40 Posted : 09 February 2019 17:22:06(UTC)
Roadie

Man

MX5 2OOM is out there on a 5 too.

COG group member