Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Paul W
#21 Posted : 12 March 2019 09:46:48(UTC)
Paul W

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 172 post(s)
Last year, on holiday in Crete, my wife accidentally navigated us up the narrow mountain road north of Kapsodasos; it has 27 hairpin bends. The 1.4 litre Fiat hire car only just had enough power to climb it and scrabbled for grip on the steepest corners. No safety barriers, sheer drops off the corners. It was so steep at times it restricted my view so I couldn't tell which way the next corner was likely to turn. Scary stuff, but I'm glad we did it. I was most concerned that we might meet another vehicle coming down against us because the road was often very narrow, with a 12-18" drop off alongside the tarmac, so you couldn't pull over. Thankfully, we didn't (no-one else stupid enough to try it, I suppose).

Strangely enough, I've found videos on YouTube - they all show a descent, not a climb...

https://www.youtube.com/...I-1d__hyK7UEREX_OtUlXVGT
Mk2 1.8i, built Jan 1998.
 1 user thanked Paul W for this useful post.
RichardFX on 12/03/2019(UTC)
phil.a
#22 Posted : 13 March 2019 18:34:10(UTC)
phil.a

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

did it many year ago in a mx5 mk1 auto that auto box made it a stress free drive....did it last year in my RF very good road to drive although there are some drivers you need to be awere off don't know the with off there car or can't reverse  one car just sat there I had a car bhinde me so pulled as close to the wall as possible till the oncoming car had no choice but to pass when I pulled away there was a loose rock that I did not see and it clipped my wheel left a nice scar 

MasterFrodo
#23 Posted : 15 March 2019 17:00:11(UTC)
MasterFrodo

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Did it many years ago. Seem to remember having major brake fade and had to stop to let the brakes recover

marpar
#24 Posted : 15 March 2019 17:15:05(UTC)
marpar

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I've done them several times in a variety of cars, the most interesting way is on a motor bike, if a car baulks your progress it is impossible to put a foot down ,in most parts.
2002,2.5,CRYSTAL BLUE,1.6L..
Member of The Blue Brigade.
Member of The Old Gits.