Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

alanharvey
#1 Posted : 15 March 2019 11:18:22(UTC)
alanharvey

Groups: Registered
Man

My speedo now has a large negative zero offset when at rest. It 'works' but reads a consistent 16mph low across the range. The Vehicle Speed Signal on the canbus at the OBDII connector appears correct as it agrees with a GPS vehicle speed. The speedo needle has not been moved on the spindle.  It looks like some sort of offset has happened in the instrument cluster.

My speedo

https://ibb.co/9sYZJ4v

Any ideas if there is a way to fix this without buying a new instrument cluster?

This happened while a contractor was failing to install a canbus interface to control front parking sensors. I'll say no more due to potential litigation. The canbus is all working and there are no DTCs

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Regards

Alan

Edited by user 15 March 2019 11:24:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boggers 2.0 Sport Tech Roadster Mk 3.75
Roadster Robbie
#2 Posted : 15 March 2019 15:10:07(UTC)
Roadster Robbie

Groups: Administrators, OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 728 time(s) in 689 post(s)

Has all of the stuff the installer failed to install been removed? You could try taking it to a dealer and asking them to reprogram the module with As-Built data.

Disclaimer

Any work you do to your car is entirely your own responsibility. If in doubt, you should check technical advice with an independent , qualified person who has seen your car. Any advice or information given or inferred in this post is the opinion of the author or the MX-5 Owners Club and not that of Mazda Motors UK (MMUK)

mx5eastern.co.uk - havemorefun.co.uk - merlotmotorsport.co.uk - roadsterrobbie.com

NA: RS Limited (Special car)
NA: Project Merlot (Track car)
ND: 2.0 litre Sport Nav (on order)
 1 user thanked Roadster Robbie for this useful post.
alanharvey on 16/03/2019(UTC)
Ian_G
#3 Posted : 15 March 2019 16:13:54(UTC)
Ian_G

Man

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I would have thought if it is 16mph out throughout its range then the needle must have moved on its shaft.

1 user thanked Ian_G for this useful post.
alanharvey on 16/03/2019(UTC)
alanharvey
#4 Posted : 16 March 2019 09:54:57(UTC)
alanharvey

Man

Originally Posted by: Roadster Robbie Go to Quoted Post

Has all of the stuff the installer failed to install been removed? You could try taking it to a dealer and asking them to reprogram the module with As-Built data.

Thank you for replying. I'm not sure if the canbus interface is still in place. I'll try to find it. I know it is a CANM8 unit and from their website it's likely to be a purple colour so should be easy to spot Cool.

As I said I know the canbus is still working because I can read it at the OBDII socket with an ELM unit.

You have given me a glimmer of hope that it might be possible to recalibrate the instrument cluster. I will try my local dealer. Any pointers for top notch capable and helpful dealers would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

Alan

alanharvey
#5 Posted : 16 March 2019 10:05:06(UTC)
alanharvey

Man

Originally Posted by: Ian_G Go to Quoted Post
I would have thought if it is 16mph out throughout its range then the needle must have moved on its shaft.

Thanks for replying. I can see your point as that would be the obvious cause, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

Knowing a bit about what went on I'm guessing that the memory l in the instrument cluster might have been corrupted. As, depending on the repair cost, there might be litigation, I really can't elaborate on what exactly went on.

I was wondering if anybody else had experienced anything similar and how it was resolved.

Regards

Alan