Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

ET
#1 Posted : 02 July 2018 10:49:46(UTC)
ET

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I got my 2016 mx5 1.5 SE-L ND's 1st and 2nd service at the same Authorised Mazda Garage.  

Apart from the brake fluid change at the 2nd service the big difference between the services was the engine oil price.

The oil in both services was part V0093165561. I don't know if the oil spec was 0w20, 5W30 or something else.  The invoice doesn't say.

The thing is the oil price between each service was vastly different. Excluding VAT The 1st service was approx £6 per litre  and the 2nd service was approx £16.5 per litre for the same V0093165561 oil

Had my wifes 2017 Mazda 3 2.0 Sportnav 1st service last week at a different Authorised Mazda Garage from my MX5.  Although the invoice did not give a part number  the oil was quoted  as Supra 0w20, and it to was expensive at approx £12 per litre excl VAT..

Frustratingly I got three different quotes, FROM THE SAME SERVICE GARAGE, for the Mazda3's 1st service of £140, £175 and £199 incl VAT.  After much discussion with the service adviser it appears from the info he had on Mazda service pricing, the oil price was the big variant between quotes. I finally got the service at £140

Can anyone help sort my confusion or tell what their experience has been service costs, particularly lub oil price.  

Edited by user 02 July 2018 10:50:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Drumtochty
#2 Posted : 02 July 2018 12:24:31(UTC)
Drumtochty

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 555 time(s) in 510 post(s)
The Mazda oil used by dealers on SkyActive Petrol cars is Mazda Supra 0W/20 oil therefore your wife's car had the Mazda oil.

Mazda Europe purchase the oil from Total and have purchased oil from Total for many years.

On the back of the 5 litre tubs I have seen, it states it is made by Total in the EU.

As always the price of a service to a punter is more expensive than the price to a small fleet owner and again cheaper if you run say 30 cars.

As you have found it pays to take a punt and ask for a cheaper price.

There is not one price but a range of prices depending if the garage is busy and it has been possible for some years to have your car serviced at an other registered motor trader and keep the warranty.

Therefore, the dealer may have to reduce his price if pushed.

This can be done by reducing the cost of high mark-up items like the oil used in the car.

5W/30 can also be used with a small increase in fuel consumption but no change in wear metals in the used oil.
Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC, Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Laurencekirk,
Aberdeenshire
ET
#3 Posted : 02 July 2018 21:10:29(UTC)
ET

The Mazda 3 was serviced by FordTrust who Mazda use in our locality for servicing of their vehicles. They clearly have used Mazda Engine Oil, and the better one at that.

It was a pure Mazda service facility that replaced the oil in my MX5 ND ( V0093165561) so I would expect that it would get the Mazda Oil, otherwise where would their claim to protect the warranty through Mazda trained technicians using Mazda specifications and parts stand?

Even in the past when I used an independent garage (Ex FordTrust not Mazda) to service my original MX5 NC I insisted on Mazda parts and specifications. I understood that was the only way a Mazda DSR could be filled in and recorded to protect the value and resale value of the vehicle.

Perhaps I will call Mazda UK and ask if they can confirm that V0093165561 used for MX5 ND is Mazda oil 0W20, or even 5W30. Am reluctant to ask the Mazda service garage I used since I am not in the best of terms with them after they failed to replace the engine oil filler cap during servicing.

From getting quotes for the MX5 ND service through to the day of the service three different quotes were priced by different people in the same Service facility, they clearly were looking at three different sets of Mazda price data on their computer screens. One of the Service Advisors did tell me that the others did not have the latest price update.

I am enlightened by the commercial aspect of quoting for Annual Services , but might it be that due to the fluctuation in oil prices that Mazda regularly update their prices and somehow there are mix-ups as to which price list applies when quotes are given?
Drumtochty
#4 Posted : 03 July 2018 11:04:24(UTC)
Drumtochty

Was thanked: 555 time(s) in 510 post(s)

Originally Posted by: ET Go to Quoted Post

Even in the past when I used an independent garage (Ex FordTrust not Mazda) to service my original MX5 NC I insisted on Mazda parts and specifications. I understood that was the only way a Mazda DSR could be filled in and recorded to protect the value and resale value of the vehicle.

Sorry ET, you are either confused or badly informed here.

As you are aware the Block Exemption regulations allow car owners to have their cars serviced by any registered motor trader and that trader must use parts of a similar quality to the car manufacturer and service the car to their schedule. It does not demand manufacturers branded parts.

Further Mazda publish the specification of the oils that the Skyactive engines in order to allow non Mazda motor traders to purchase suitable oils from their own suppliers. Mazda also advise filter manufacturers of the design of filters for these cars.

BMW UK soon backed down after they refused to do warranty work on cars early this year when trading standards warned them they were breaching the Block Exemption Regulations as the cars had been serviced to their schedule by registered motor traders.

With regards to the Mazda DSR, this is open to any registered motor trader.

There is no question asked at all about what oil or filter or other consumables are used when filling in the DSR.

In your case, you have demanded Mazda branded parts are used, that is all well and good but it is not a legal requirement that these branded parts are used by an "independent operator" in Mazda Speak to protect the car warranty.

The "independent operator" only have to register on the European Mazda Portal and send a copy of their company letterhead with their login username to Mazda and entry is given usually the next working day.

I was in a Mazda dealer the other day with my MK3, thinking of changing it. The Mazda Dealer was very happy that the last 4 services had been carried out by an independent operator and entered in the DSR and said he wished all non Mazda garages would use the facility as they consider that a full service record and would not reduce the trade in value of the car.

Edited by user 03 July 2018 12:39:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC, Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Laurencekirk,
Aberdeenshire
 1 user thanked Drumtochty for this useful post.
ET on 03/07/2018(UTC)
ET
#5 Posted : 03 July 2018 12:05:17(UTC)
ET

Thanks Drumtochty. I appreciate your input and have taken a copy of your last post for future reference.

What really confuses me are the different oil grades. The European specs ACEA A3/A5; ACEA A3/B4; C3 etc. I can even confuse myself further by online google searches.
Because of this it would be simpler for me to get registered garages, and even the car manufacturers garage, to use the car manufacturers "branded" oil.

But you are spot on in that I was ignorant or unsure of the fact that a registered garage could use the Mazda DSR using their own fluids and parts provided that they were of equal standard or better.

I have followed up a bit more on the V0093165561 Engine Oil used by my nearest Mazda Service facility for the 1st & 2nd services of my Skyactive MX5 ND.
Up to 2 years ago they were a Vauxhall Dealer when they changed to a Mazda dealership. They still have a Vauxhall dealership in another town and use the same service manager for the two dealerships.

So it seems that VOO93165561 is a Vauxhall OEM fluid. I am lead to believe it is a fully synthetic 5W30 Dexos2 ACEA C3 oil. How that compares to Mazda's ACEA A3/A5 quoted in the User manual heavens knows. I however believe that the cost cost given in the Service Invoice is way above that priced from online suppliers.

Edited by user 03 July 2018 12:08:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mad Malc
#6 Posted : 03 July 2018 14:17:08(UTC)
Mad Malc

Man

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 81 post(s)

On the face of it that looks like the 'wrong' oil. Just what the consequences are is unclear. I am aware of a catalytic converter failure that was refused replacement by Kia under their warranty as an independent garage had not used the correct oil. This was stated as the reason for failure.

I am sure Mazda would not be happy about a Mazda dealer using anything other than their products. Manufacturers are usually very strict about using their products as it keeps all profits within the brand.

Mad Malc by the sea in Filey with a Mk4 SE-L Nav 2.0 in Artic White
ET
#7 Posted : 03 July 2018 18:03:15(UTC)
ET

Protecting profits is what you would expect and nothing wrong with any company working toward that.
I would also expect the Mazda dealership and Service facility I used for my 1st and second services to use Mazda fluids and parts, but they didn't !?

Certain engine oil specifications may help protect catalytic converters, however I don't believe the oil used during my services is a wrong substitute for Mazda's Supra 0w20, and the fact that I used an authorised Mazda Service facility to carry out the work to Mazda's annual service schedule give s me some comfort that I should have no worries re warranty.

I am also comforted by Drumtochty's comments about Block Exemption Regulations and BMW's back down over protecting profits.

Anyway I do take your point and I have already made my mind up that it is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that I will use my local Mazda Dealership and Service facility again.

Edited by user 04 July 2018 09:33:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

raptor
#8 Posted : 11 July 2018 16:45:09(UTC)
raptor

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Hi I can assure you Mazda are not happy if their dealer does not use approved oil .I always service my own car after the warranty expires,in the case of my current Mk 3.5 ,at the 2nd service I offered to supply my own high quality oil to the dealer ,this was refused because he said Mazda would not except this because no one knew what was in the container (which was of course sealed .This main dealer,was also a Peugeot dealer and when challenged on collection admitted to using a Total ineo diesel oil of the same viscosity ,reason they did not have a Mazda oil and no one ever complained. I made them make a note of the oil on the receipt and contacted Mazda Technical section .They were not happy and told the dealer so.The service manager rang me fuming that I had gone down this route and asking what was he supposed to do. I insisted he collect the car drain the oil buy the correct oil change the oil and filter .There would probably been no problems but I only let them do a service in case of warranty work and they clearly did not follow the system

Dave

Gra
#9 Posted : 11 July 2018 21:31:36(UTC)
Gra

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 56 post(s)

I always provide my own oil when the car goes into the Mazda dealer for servicing. It's much cheaper that way.

Gra

1999 Sport Special Edition, Twilight Blue
Combemartian
#10 Posted : 12 July 2018 16:39:00(UTC)
Combemartian

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 57 post(s)

Quote from Raptors post above.
" The service manager rang me fuming that I had gone down this route and asking what was he supposed to do. I insisted he collect the car drain the oil buy the correct oil change the oil and filter "
Call me cynical but do you rearly think they changed your oil and filter. If you were there to watch it being done no problem but if they collected the car and returned it later how do you know they did anything.
Sorry but my trust in main dealer garages is pretty low.

Edited by user 12 July 2018 16:40:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1998 mk2 racing bronze. Died RIP
2000 mk2 silver gone but not forgotten.
2011 mk3.5 metropolitan grey
1995 mk1 chaste white
RichardFX
#11 Posted : 12 July 2018 19:19:45(UTC)
RichardFX

Was thanked: 325 time(s) in 305 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Combemartian Go to Quoted Post

Quote from Raptors post above.
" The service manager rang me fuming that I had gone down this route and asking what was he supposed to do. I insisted he collect the car drain the oil buy the correct oil change the oil and filter "
Call me cynical but do you rearly think they changed your oil and filter. If you were there to watch it being done no problem but if they collected the car and returned it later how do you know they did anything.
Sorry but my trust in main dealer garages is pretty low.

Back in the 1990s when there was a suspicion the local Vx main dealer was doing nasty tricks I used to make a mark on each item that needed to be changed.  eg a scratch on the various filters on the schedule and then over that a small dab of touch-up paint left over from my old Colorado Beige (dirty orange-yellow) Cavalier.  I found them out on a fuel filter and three successive pollen filters billed for but not changed on my then new Astra.  Also the washer bottle was always full going to the service and a couple of times they tried to bill me for filling it.

They were a lot better after that 'manager' was moved on.  Alas, that improved dealership was one of those that folded a few years ago.

The washer bottle thing is interesting with the Mazda main dealers, as not having been able to fill it up on three services the unopened bottle of new washer fluid was placed in the boot, because the service was a fixed price and the fluid came in the package regardless.

2008 Niseko NC 2.0
2016 Mazda3 SE-L Nav 2.0