Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Pollyanna
#1 Posted : 03 July 2018 10:47:51(UTC)
Pollyanna

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 39 post(s)

I have as my daily car a Nissan 2L automatic with Cruise Control. As I was in Cruise Control recently for quite a lot of miles, this crossed my mind. Is the fuel economy better in cruise control at a given speed, than without it on?  Anyone know for certain?

Eunos Mk1 1992 Roadster 1600 cc in Classic Red.
Mad Malc
#2 Posted : 03 July 2018 12:21:13(UTC)
Mad Malc

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 90 post(s)

My view is, that at a fixed speed on a fixed gradient the cruise will be hard to beat-----------------------but in the real world cruise will hold the speed up hills right to the crest and you will over speed on the other side, whereas we would tend to slow a little on the uphill and lift early as we crest the hill and then let gravity take us back up to our chosen speed. Some more sophisticated systems will even apply the brakes on downhill sections and so waste the fuel you used to crest the hill which we would not do..

I understand that some HGVs have satnav and cruise integrated and take into account gradient and 'cresting'.

Mad Malc by the sea in Filey with a Mk4 SE-L Nav 2.0 in Artic White
Enjay
#3 Posted : 03 July 2018 13:50:17(UTC)
Enjay

Man

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Based on my own experience monitoring this (albeit not that thoroughly) across three different cars with cruise and a mpg readout, if I am trying to get good mpg, I can beat the cruise in real-life situations every time and by quite some margin.

I've just been using my MX5 to commute recently, so I decided to see what kind of mpg I can get. It's sitting at an average of 50.3 mpg for the last 3 weeks or so of motoring (28 miles each way with a little town driving but mostly on a rural A class road (A96)). I can't really use cruise much on that trip though, so I don't have any figures for that but when I have been able to compare it, driving to intentionally get good mpg figures can easily beat cruise. It's quite boring driving though.
1991 Eunos Roadster -> 2017 ND RF
watchnut
#4 Posted : 29 July 2018 10:08:18(UTC)
watchnut

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
when ever I get to drive a car with C/C in it I often set the C/C to see what mpg it can achieve on a top gear motorway run, over 10 miles then with me "feathering" the gas pedal to see what I can do in comparison. I know it is not an exact art as the roads always undulate, but on the whole I would suggest I can do better MPG than the computer C/C , as already stated the car can not "see" traffic ahead that I can adjust for, or the up coming undulations I can allow for.

Having said that C/C is great for those long journeys, and the countless 50 MPG average speed limited roads we all endure tied in with a limiter help us keep that "envelope" dropping onto the mat!
Black MK 3, 2006 2.0i, hard top,
"Get your top off"
alanhelen
#5 Posted : 10 August 2018 14:54:49(UTC)
alanhelen

Groups: AC, OCACA_21, OCMember, Registered
Location: Alan Capell Area Co-ordinator South Central Area Founder Member 16

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)

Would agree with Watchnut & Enjay on this one   

sparks
#6 Posted : 10 August 2018 17:32:19(UTC)
sparks

Man

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 59 post(s)

We have a fiesta as our second car. We are always keen to use it on long trips because with the cruise  control activated the mpg increases quite considerably. 

Also my 2.0 launch edition has an after market cruise control which, when activated, is good for saving fuel too. 

Meisterr CRD, Poly ARB bush, WIM alignment, Sony audio, Clearwater speakers, Illuminated gear knob, Beatrush gear shift bush, Cruise Control.
coconino
#7 Posted : 10 August 2018 20:10:52(UTC)
coconino

Man

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 78 post(s)

Only time I did a comparison was over twenty years ago in a Ford Maverick diesel. It consumed more fuel using the C/C for the reasons Mad Malc gives.

Richard. 

Fast becoming a Silver Surfer in the Thames Valley!
Black 2ltr RC ST M.Y. 2010 SmartTop module and a Cobalt rear rumble box..

Sometimes, dealing with a Main Stealer is a bit like picking up a sTURDy by the clean end!