Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Glugwine
#1 Posted : 04 August 2018 11:05:40(UTC)
Glugwine

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

New to the forum so its my first post!

Have a three year old ND 2.0 Sports Nav which we really enjoy. With its warranty running out I am looking to have some 'upgrades' completed on the car.

Saw the excellent write-up in this months magazine from Martin Pike about the changes to his NC and have been looking at BBR options as well as others.

One of my main concerns is improving the handling with new springs but which lowers the car by 30mm, some forum members report no issues with speed bumps, ramps (ferries etc) whilst others report issues. I would like some further feedback from members on this issue if possible?

I am visiting BBR in few weeks to take a look as I was interested in their 190 package, but most write-ups include having the lowered springs which I have a concern about.

Any info appreciated.

Edited by user 10 August 2018 08:36:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Countryboy
#2 Posted : 04 August 2018 11:20:21(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 420 time(s) in 378 post(s)

Lowering the suspension is generally agreed to improve the handling, but I haven't done that to my 1.5l for a couple of reasons.  The firmer, stiffer ride would leave me in agony (damaged vertibrae and arthritis) also the height of speeds humps may have a legal maximum, but their shape and placement can make that irrelevant.  There are quite a few in my local area with grooves and chunks missing where vehicles have grounded out.  Check out those that you're likely to come across and look at their condition, it'll give you an idea of any problem you may encounter.  Good luck.  

PS:  There are some round here that a lowered car would have to approach at an angle, which is not always possible on a two-way street with opposing traffic facing the same problem.

Edited by user 04 August 2018 11:31:59(UTC)  | Reason: correction of text

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
 1 user thanked Countryboy for this useful post.
Glugwine on 10/08/2018(UTC)
Glugwine
#3 Posted : 04 August 2018 11:58:54(UTC)
Glugwine

Man

Originally Posted by: Countryboy Go to Quoted Post

PS:  There are some round here that a lowered car would have to approach at an angle, which is not always possible on a two-way street with opposing traffic facing the same problem.

I live near Leicester and there are plenty of speed bumps across the county, and yes they are a real pain when you have cars parked on one side and your 'fighting' the oncoming drivre for the 'smooth' route over the remaining speed bump. Thanks for your input....

1 user thanked Glugwine for this useful post.
Countryboy on 04/08/2018(UTC)
GarethC
#4 Posted : 04 August 2018 13:00:45(UTC)
GarethC

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)

I've had the Eibach 30mm springs on mine for a while now and have had no issues with mine and speed bumps (even with the lower air dam fitted) sure its close but I've had no contact.  The handling however is transformed, a lot more planted and secure.  I'd say the ride is somewhat compromised and a bit 'bouncy' at times but for the most part not much different from stock.  I was at BBR recently for the 6 Piston Wilwood kit, back there in a week or so for the rear 4 Piston kit before going turbo. 

1 user thanked GarethC for this useful post.
Glugwine
#5 Posted : 05 August 2018 11:06:21(UTC)
Glugwine

Man

Originally Posted by: GarethC Go to Quoted Post

I've had the Eibach 30mm springs on mine for a while now and have had no issues with mine and speed bumps (even with the lower air dam fitted) sure its close but I've had no contact.  The handling however is transformed, a lot more planted and secure.  I'd say the ride is somewhat compromised and a bit 'bouncy' at times but for the most part not much different from stock.  I was at BBR recently for the 6 Piston Wilwood kit, back there in a week or so for the rear 4 Piston kit before going turbo. 

Thanks for the input. I managed to find some images of 'before and after' on Google and on ones i saw they did not look 'too' low. 

BlueAgave
#6 Posted : 09 August 2018 19:38:48(UTC)
BlueAgave

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I can thoroughly recommend the BBR springs, which improve the handling and give a better ride. I'd also recommend the Eibach anti-roll bars as well.
2016 Sport Recaro, BBR Super 200, Carbing alloy strut brace, BBR springs and Koni dampers and Eibach anti-roll bars, Wilwood 6 pot calipers and 12.88 rotors, Corksport short shifter and Guardian designs steering wheel
 1 user thanked BlueAgave for this useful post.
Glugwine
#7 Posted : 10 August 2018 08:41:25(UTC)
Glugwine

Man

Originally Posted by: BlueAgave Go to Quoted Post
I can thoroughly recommend the BBR springs, which improve the handling and give a better ride. I'd also recommend the Eibach anti-roll bars as well.

I am visiting BBR in a couple of weeks so I can discuss which would suit me best. I see you have the 200 package, I was looking at that but with all the 'extras' the costs mount up. I am leaning more towards the 190 with the springs etc.

As usual I am sure I'll change my mind when I get there !

Edited by user 10 August 2018 09:29:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BlueAgave
#8 Posted : 10 August 2018 09:24:31(UTC)
BlueAgave

Man

Originally Posted by: Glugwine Go to Quoted Post

I am visiting BBR in a couple of weeks so I can discuss which would suit me best. I see you have the 200 package, I was looking at that but with all the 'extras' the costs mount up. I am leaning more towards the 190 with the springs etc.

As usual I am sure I'll change my mind when I get these !

Whatever you go for will be an improvement!

2016 Sport Recaro, BBR Super 200, Carbing alloy strut brace, BBR springs and Koni dampers and Eibach anti-roll bars, Wilwood 6 pot calipers and 12.88 rotors, Corksport short shifter and Guardian designs steering wheel
Mr_Sukebe
#9 Posted : 10 August 2018 11:02:42(UTC)
Mr_Sukebe

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I'm conscious that to "do it right", you'd probably also end up paying for both installation and then geometry, neither of which are that cheap. 

Once you're into that amount of dosh, you could spend a little more and buy adjustable coilovers, meaning that you could go with a 30mm drop, and if that doesn't work,  you can back off the height drop.

Keith W
#10 Posted : 10 August 2018 11:36:48(UTC)
Keith W

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 71 post(s)

Hello Glugwine

May I suggest you contact Roddisons Motorsport Sheffield S9 1US 0114 244 5300,

ask for Paul, expect sound advice from a very experienced person.

Regards

Keith

1 user thanked Keith W for this useful post.
BlueAgave
#11 Posted : 10 August 2018 12:06:11(UTC)
BlueAgave

Man

Originally Posted by: Mr_Sukebe Go to Quoted Post

I'm conscious that to "do it right", you'd probably also end up paying for both installation and then geometry, neither of which are that cheap. 

Once you're into that amount of dosh, you could spend a little more and buy adjustable coilovers, meaning that you could go with a 30mm drop, and if that doesn't work,  you can back off the height drop.

For a lot of people installation and certainly geometry would be required, and coilovers are hardly 'a little more'!

Glugwine
#12 Posted : 10 August 2018 12:10:02(UTC)
Glugwine

Man

Originally Posted by: Keith W Go to Quoted Post

Hello Glugwine

May I suggest you contact Roddisons Motorsport Sheffield S9 1US 0114 244 5300,

ask for Paul, expect sound advice from a very experienced person.

Regards

Keith

Thankyou Keith, I will call them up....

Mr_Sukebe
#13 Posted : 10 August 2018 12:34:04(UTC)
Mr_Sukebe

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Mr_Sukebe Go to Quoted Post

For a lot of people installation and certainly geometry would be required, and coilovers are hardly 'a little more'!

Hadn't realised that coil sets could be had for £100, so yes, you're right, coilovers are probably £400 more expensive.  Still, if you have to spend £300 (????) to have either types fitted, then maybe going the whole hog first time round might be worth the additional spondoolies.

BlueAgave
#14 Posted : 10 August 2018 14:22:05(UTC)
BlueAgave

Man

Personally I don't think a cheap set of coilovers is the answer! 30mm isn't going to give problems with speed humps.
phil.a
#15 Posted : 20 August 2018 17:18:01(UTC)
phil.a

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

just had my 2017 nd 2.0 30mm drop on silverline springs ride height looks like how it should be from mazda handling superb comfort cant tell the difference and the misses has not moaned at all yet what more proof do you need than that speed bump not a problem and i go over 5 were i work never bottomed out or scraped...go for it .....   

Glugwine
#16 Posted : 20 August 2018 18:14:50(UTC)
Glugwine

Man

Originally Posted by: phil.a Go to Quoted Post

just had my 2017 nd 2.0 30mm drop on silverline springs ride height looks like how it should be from mazda handling superb comfort cant tell the difference and the misses has not moaned at all yet what more proof do you need than that speed bump not a problem and i go over 5 were i work never bottomed out or scraped...go for it .....   

Well that sounds very positive and good news