Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

onedaymyfriend
#1 Posted : 07 August 2018 19:15:57(UTC)
onedaymyfriend

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Good evening all, 

The wife's Mk4 is due its 3rd on the next month or so, we've decided to a use a reputable local garage do the work with parts from mx5parts.co.uk rather than use the dealership.

My query is with regards to the best oil, on the mx5parts site there are a few options - Mazda 0w20 or Mobil Super 5w30. Which would you guys recommend? If there's another option please let me know.

Thanks for your time  

Darren 

RichardFX
#2 Posted : 07 August 2018 19:33:02(UTC)
RichardFX

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 337 time(s) in 316 post(s)

Originally Posted by: onedaymyfriend Go to Quoted Post

Good evening all, 

The wife's Mk4 is due its 3rd on the next month or so, we've decided to a use a reputable local garage do the work with parts from mx5parts.co.uk rather than use the dealership.

My query is with regards to the best oil, on the mx5parts site there are a few options - Mazda 0w20 or Mobil Super 5w30. Which would you guys recommend? If there's another option please let me know.

Thanks for your time  

Darren 

At the recent service for our Mazda3 with the Skyactive engine the main dealer used 'Mazda' 5w30. 

The Milcars service agent volunteered that car has Stop Start (iStop), which means there is an extra load on the bearings and battery each time, hence the 'special' (expensive) Mazda oil.  Really?  Hmm, well, they were on the ball in other things, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I was given (not by Mazda) a litre of 'Castrol 5w30 specially formulated for modern stop-start engines', but the car never uses enough to require topping up so after two years that litre is still sealed.  If yours has the iStop system, and you do a high mileage, then it might be prudent to make sure the oil is optimised for this.

2008 Niseko NC 2.0
2016 Mazda3 SE-L Nav 2.0
Countryboy
#3 Posted : 07 August 2018 19:56:30(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 390 time(s) in 352 post(s)

I'd use the grade recommended in the handbook, the brand (as long as it's not a "Joe Bloggs") is pretty much immaterial.

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
Mad Malc
#4 Posted : 07 August 2018 20:01:42(UTC)
Mad Malc

Man

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 84 post(s)

UK cars do not have 'stop start' so I would use Mazda branded oil (0-20) and parts. It might be useful to get the garage to register with Mazda so they can update the service records for your car.

Personally we will be using Mazda for our 3rd service so they can see if any warranty work is required before it runs out. Also worth considering is the updates to the software that are included in the service. Some dealers will do a discounted price on servicing, it costs nothing to ask, always in a polite manner of course.

Mad Malc by the sea in Filey with a Mk4 SE-L Nav 2.0 in Artic White
onedaymyfriend
#5 Posted : 07 August 2018 20:24:36(UTC)
onedaymyfriend

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Mad Malc Go to Quoted Post

UK cars do not have 'stop start' so I would use Mazda branded oil (0-20) and parts. It might be useful to get the garage to register with Mazda so they can update the service records for your car.

Personally we will be using Mazda for our 3rd service so they can see if any warranty work is required before it runs out. Also worth considering is the updates to the software that are included in the service. Some dealers will do a discounted price on servicing, it costs nothing to ask, always in a polite manner of course.

Good point Mad Malc! 

The girl on the Service desk at the dealership said the Service would be - Oil + filter and air filer - £230. No mention of systems updates. I will defo take your advice and ask nicely for a discount. 😊 

stephenraw
#6 Posted : 07 August 2018 21:03:47(UTC)
stephenraw

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Ring two or three dealers and get the best price !

RF Launch edition
Kuro1996
#7 Posted : 08 August 2018 16:28:54(UTC)
Kuro1996

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Originally Posted by: onedaymyfriend Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Mad Malc Go to Quoted Post

Good point Mad Malc! 

The girl on the Service desk at the dealership said the Service would be - Oil + filter and air filer - £230. No mention of systems updates. I will defo take your advice and ask nicely for a discount. 😊 

Same plan here - though I have service plan anyway. Also worth mentioning that once your warranty runs out, if you have used a Mazda dealer for your servicing I always think there is a better chance that Mazda UK will be more sympathetic towards an out of warranty claim if you have an issue in the next year. 

Formally 1996 Mk1 1.6 in Black with cream leather and woody interior - sold September 2015.

From 2015 Mk4 1.5 Sportnav in black with sand leather.

Based near Stowmarket - Suffolk / Norfolk border
MX54
#8 Posted : 08 August 2018 19:32:44(UTC)
MX54

Woman

I have had my ND almost three years and had my trusted guy at my local garage do the service for me each each year. £230 for Oil + Filter and Air Filter is an absolute rip off and I'd rather keep my local guy in business. The DSR has been kept updated as I email a copy of the service specification to Mazda once it has been completed and they update the online record for me.

I hadn't received any updates to the firmware for the Infotainment system because the service was not done by Mazda. I contacted them a couple of weeks ago and the car was booked in for a free update as it is still under warranty. You can get this done anytime, it doesn't have to be during the service and it only takes an hour

ND 2.0L Sport Nav Soul Red
Previous - NC 2.0L Option Pack Stormy Blue
Driving an MX5 is the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on!
 1 user thanked MX54 for this useful post.
Mad Malc on 10/08/2018(UTC)
BlueAgave
#9 Posted : 09 August 2018 19:59:50(UTC)
BlueAgave

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

It's also ok to use 5w/30 as per the handbook and recommend a fully synthetic oil.

Edited by user 09 August 2018 20:03:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2016 Sport Recaro, BBR Super 200, Carbing alloy strut brace, BBR springs and Koni dampers and Eibach anti-roll bars, Wilwood 6 pot calipers and 12.88 rotors, Corksport short shifter and Guardian designs steering wheel
TimLockhart
#10 Posted : 19 August 2018 21:58:16(UTC)
TimLockhart

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MX54 Go to Quoted Post

I have had my ND almost three years and had my trusted guy at my local garage do the service for me each each year. £230 for Oil + Filter and Air Filter is an absolute rip off and I'd rather keep my local guy in business. The DSR has been kept updated as I email a copy of the service specification to Mazda once it has been completed and they update the online record for me.

I hadn't received any updates to the firmware for the Infotainment system because the service was not done by Mazda. I contacted them a couple of weeks ago and the car was booked in for a free update as it is still under warranty. You can get this done anytime, it doesn't have to be during the service and it only takes an hour

Been looking around the forum to find the address to send invoices to to get them added to the DSR, if you could let me know that would be awesome :) 

MX54
#11 Posted : 20 August 2018 09:39:30(UTC)
MX54

Woman

Hi

The address I use for emailing Mazda with the latest service information is:

mmukassistance@mazdaeur.com

I originally contacted Mazda UK and asked how to update the DSR as the email address isn't readily available on their website. I always send them a copy of the latest service invoice and have had no issues. they are pretty good and usually update it within 24 hours and you also receive confirmation from them when it's been completed.

I also keep an eye on the latest TSB's to check if there is anything that could affect my car. If there is, then these would still be covered by the Warranty.

ND 2.0L Sport Nav Soul Red
Previous - NC 2.0L Option Pack Stormy Blue
Driving an MX5 is the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on!