Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Chelsea S
#1 Posted : 11 September 2018 23:49:54(UTC)
Chelsea S

Groups: Registered

Hi!

Im a bit of a newbie around here please bear with, apologies if it’s been asked before!

i‘ve had my 2008 2.0l Sport soft top for just over a year now, she’s stock (for now lol) and it looks like my rear shock absorbers have past their use by date! The car originally came with Bilsteins which I believe were a model specifically made for the 5 at the time (?). My question is - has anyone else replaced the shock absorbers on the Sport NC with Bilsteins like-for-like? I’ve been looking online and don’t know whether the B6 or B8 would be best to be similar if not the same as the original ones? I’ll be keeping the front shocks as they are.

The plan is to replace the rear shocks, and then go for Eibach 30mm lowering springs all round, of course shortly followed by alignment. Is there a model of Bilstein shocks which would be better to use with the lowering springs?

Any advice would be much appreciated Smile

Thanks, Chelsea

(congrats to me on my first forum post woohoo!) 

Benz3ne
#2 Posted : 12 September 2018 08:44:47(UTC)
Benz3ne

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Welcome and congrats!

It's a job I'm meaning to do... though mine's not the Sport so doesn't have the Bilsteins. Have a gander on Mx5Parts.co.uk, they'll have the correct Bilsteins and they're also knowledgeable folk so can advise on what was stock/what to go for etc. :)
'55' NC 2.0 - Ddu Gwych, Brilliant Black.
MickAP
#3 Posted : 12 September 2018 08:47:02(UTC)
MickAP

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 582 time(s) in 551 post(s)

My advice (from experience) would be to go straight to coil overs. They are a tad expensive but worth it if you can afford it and very much worth it if you are keeping the car long term.

I've got MeisterR's fitted, previously lowered by fitting springs to the Bilsteins, ok and did the job but much better ride/handling with the aforementioned set up.

Edited by user 12 September 2018 09:14:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Current car...07 plate True Red Sport. MeisterR's, Colbalt rear box, Royal Steering Wheel retrim.
b0builder
#4 Posted : 12 September 2018 08:48:43(UTC)
b0builder

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)

if you are replacing the shocks and then going for lowered springs I would recommend you loot at a set of miesters coilover 

they will give you a better ride and a lot more control over the ride height 

JamMan
#5 Posted : 12 September 2018 11:26:52(UTC)
JamMan

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MickAP Go to Quoted Post

My advice (from experience) would be to go straight to coil overs. They are a tad expensive but worth it if you can afford it and very much worth it if you are keeping the car long term.

I'm expecting to replace springs and dampers at some time in the car's future. I reckon I'd just go with a MeisterR coilover set up, because it would be substantially less expensive than replacing Bilstein Springs and Dampers all around and it gives me far more choice with set up.

To the OP, depending on the condition of your dampers, you could speak to Bilstein UK as they have a rebuild service (in Leicester IIRC). I'm sure they could rebuild your dampers to your spec (ie, for the Eibach springs).

2013 Sport Tech Nav
Dosthilldave
#6 Posted : 19 September 2018 17:01:09(UTC)
Dosthilldave

Man

I too am wondering about this. The replacement Bilsteins plus springs aren’t cheap. What’s the view of the Vmaxx fixed damping coilovers. Seems to give new shocks with a slightly firmer damping plus lowering options.

i haven’t seen many comments about these which seem to offer a good value solution

2006 Mk3 2.0l sport true red
Daily drive 3 series m sport shadow edition
Chelsea S
#7 Posted : 19 September 2018 19:43:06(UTC)
Chelsea S

It does seem like coilovers are the popular option! At the minute my 5 is just for daily driving and bit of fun on the country roads! As I say its only the 2 rear dampers I want to replace which I've found online for 125 each, plus eibach springs at 170 for set, it comes up quite a lot cheaper than coilovers which I can't really afford at the minute ... ive priced up the other little mods I want to do e.g back box exhaust, spacers, plus springs etc and that totals cheaper than coilovers! lol 😊

I'm probably going to go for the Bilstein B6 for the rear, reading up the B8 looks to be better with lowering springs but changes the stiffness so probably wouldn't match what's happening with the front dampers that I'm keeping the same 😎

Interesting to see what people use to uograde their mx5s!