Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Birger
#1 Posted : 08 October 2018 10:24:51(UTC)
Birger

Groups: OCMember, Registered

loud rattling noice at aprox. 3000 rpm. and engine braking. I thought it was the rear muffler and got it replaced. Didn´t do the job.
Some time ago the clutch was changed and I suspect there could be a problem here.
I can´t recrate the noice when the car is not driving.
The noice can to a degree emerge at about 3000 rpm. When driving in 1st, 2end and 3rd. gear engine not braking not pulling ( I don´t no the real frace in english:))

I can´t create rattling noices form the cat. and the little muffler by banging on them. all heatsheilds are sitting tight and firm.

It´s a 1998 1,6 nb 108.000 km on the clock.

Any suggestions?

Best regards Birger

Sonue
#2 Posted : 08 October 2018 11:19:28(UTC)
Sonue

Man

Was thanked: 117 time(s) in 92 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Birger Go to Quoted Post

loud rattling noice at aprox. 3000 rpm. and engine braking. I thought it was the rear muffler and got it replaced. Didn´t do the job.
Some time ago the clutch was changed and I suspect there could be a problem here.
I can´t recrate the noice when the car is not driving.
The noice can to a degree emerge at about 3000 rpm. When driving in 1st, 2end and 3rd. gear engine not braking not pulling ( I don´t no the real frace in english:))

I can´t create rattling noices form the cat. and the little muffler by banging on them. all heatsheilds are sitting tight and firm.

It´s a 1998 1,6 nb 108.000 km on the clock.

Any suggestions?

Best regards Birger

I had a similar experience and the rattle turned out to be the bonnet stay rattling.

Eunos Roadster S Limited.
Bettabuilda
#3 Posted : 08 October 2018 17:56:34(UTC)
Bettabuilda

Was thanked: 258 time(s) in 220 post(s)

Is it a rattle or could it be vibration? You mentioned the clutch was changed which would mean disturbing the power plant frame (PPF) if not fitted back correctly, i.e. Not in the exact same spot, it is known to cause vibration which can be quite noisy? I had it on one of my mk1's but more on overrun when letting off on the throttle and changing down. Might not be that but you never know. Search PPF alignment on Google.

Barrie

COG group member

2007 NC1 1800GT 1st place lightly modified 2018 Spring Rally Goodwood

'91 Eunos, classic red, 2nd place in modified mk1 at 2015 Spring Rally Oulton Park.
Birger
#4 Posted : 08 October 2018 19:47:48(UTC)
Birger

Thanks to you both I have checked the bonnet, no problem here. Tomorrow I´ll have a look at the ppf. I think the problem lies here :) :)

Mxian
#5 Posted : 11 October 2018 13:07:43(UTC)
Mxian

Groups: Registered

The Heat shield on the exhaust and catalytic converter caused very similar symptoms on my 2.5 . Horrid noise .
Birger
#6 Posted : 11 October 2018 15:49:35(UTC)
Birger

once again Thank´s

eeqmc22
#7 Posted : 18 October 2018 15:10:53(UTC)
eeqmc22

Hello everyone

Just joined the club and apologies if I am repeating a previously discussed problem. Our car is a 1 year old MX5 RF with just over 6000 miles.

Last August we experience a loud whining noise from the rear of the car. The mazda dealer replaced the differential. This did not cure the problem. Then the problem was identified as a faulty gearbox.

I am relying to this post as in addition to the whining noise in our car we are also experiencing a buzzing noise on the overun in 3rd/2ng gear. This was identified by our Mazda dealer as a faulty gearbox. the Dealer is adamant that it is not a silencer (I thought it was a loose baffle)but a gearbox fault. In fact the dealer told me that his demonstration vehicle is also having the same problem. Mazda UK are extremely unhelpfull and seem to be trying to fob us off. Despite the dealer having diagnosed the fault himself. I am begining to think that there is some kind of widespread fault for MX5 rf manufactured between 2016 and 2017. Apparently the gear ratios were changed in the gearbox and diff and  this may well be causing the issues. Anyone else had a similar problem?