Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

pfw
#1 Posted : 08 November 2018 06:33:38(UTC)
pfw

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

Recently acquired my MK 3.5 of which the paintwork is in excellent condition, i have done the usual..washed it (properly) then applied super resin and finally Auto Glym gold. Under my garage lights i have noticed one or two small tar spots and other bits of contamination that i would normally just T cut out and polish, however the world seems to have changed since the 80's when i was last polishing my "Hot hatches"...yes the MX5 is a mid life crisis and enjoying every minute of it !!

So back on topic, my super resin has run out and i need to get either a clay bar or some sort of gentle cutting polish but there seems to be millions of them now!!....G3, dodo juice, Meguires, Auto Glym, Poor boys...the list goes on.

Question is what do others use without spending days and days on it analysing paint depth ETC ?, (anyone used the Auto Glym UHD wax ?)... im guessing this will bring various replies based around personal experience but it just seems there is a minefield of various polishes out there all claiming to be the best !! 

Thanks

Neil

BRUCE225
#2 Posted : 08 November 2018 09:28:16(UTC)
BRUCE225

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Hi

Got my MX5 a month or so ago used G3 just because we sell it at work with a DA polisher came up really good then used poor boys wax/sealeant once again because we sell it at work..

But I did have a section on the curvy bit on the front wheel arch which was realy dull and couldn't bring back to life plus I've only a 6inch pad so was hard to work by machine, so tried this by hand seeing it's cheap https://www.turtlewax.co...wax-red-rubbing-compound the shine came back really well.

Edited by user 08 November 2018 09:43:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nickand jane
#3 Posted : 08 November 2018 09:48:43(UTC)
Nickand jane

Was thanked: 462 time(s) in 424 post(s)
For tar spots and bug contamination etc use a good quality clay bar with water or detail spary as a lubricant, Bilt Hamber is a good make.
The Captain - An MX5 Driver
NC ZSport - ObiWan - Radiant Ebony Mica - Larini
NC Sport - Belle - Winning Blue - Cobra Sport
AJR
#4 Posted : 08 November 2018 10:23:58(UTC)
AJR

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)

I use Autoglym tar remover, works wonders for me before applying polish.

ATR
#5 Posted : 08 November 2018 14:00:33(UTC)
ATR

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
ChrisRs is the resident expert on detailing. Hopefully he will respond to the OP with his usual good advice. Alternately you could PM him.

Andrew
Mazda MX5 NB - MK2.5 - 1.8 Splash green 2003
 1 user thanked ATR for this useful post.
ChrisRs on 08/11/2018(UTC)
pfw
#6 Posted : 08 November 2018 14:43:16(UTC)
pfw

Thanks for the replies guy...will wait to see if Chris responds but all input still welcome!

andy1964
#7 Posted : 08 November 2018 16:52:36(UTC)
andy1964

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 34 post(s)

I just use Autoglym Super Resin on mine - seems to do everything I need.  I've been using that on my cars since about 1992 though so I guess that the range of polishes available has moved on since then - while I probably haven't! 

2012 2.0 Sportech RC, Stormy Blue
Lives in Sheffield, UK
ChrisRs
#8 Posted : 08 November 2018 18:07:56(UTC)
ChrisRs

Man

Was thanked: 193 time(s) in 156 post(s)

Originally Posted by: pfw Go to Quoted Post

Hi all,

Recently acquired my MK 3.5 of which the paintwork is in excellent condition, i have done the usual..washed it (properly) then applied super resin and finally Auto Glym gold. Under my garage lights i have noticed one or two small tar spots and other bits of contamination that i would normally just T cut out and polish, however the world seems to have changed since the 80's when i was last polishing my "Hot hatches"...yes the MX5 is a mid life crisis and enjoying every minute of it !!

So back on topic, my super resin has run out and i need to get either a clay bar or some sort of gentle cutting polish but there seems to be millions of them now!!....G3, dodo juice, Meguires, Auto Glym, Poor boys...the list goes on.

Question is what do others use without spending days and days on it analysing paint depth ETC ?, (anyone used the Auto Glym UHD wax ?)... im guessing this will bring various replies based around personal experience but it just seems there is a minefield of various polishes out there all claiming to be the best !! 

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil

Decontamination of the paintwork is really quite straight forward. You will need:

1. Tar Off ( I use Power Maxed) There are many out there.

2. Iron Out..commonly used on alloy wheels but it will remove bonded brake dust fron your paintwork too (Again, I use Power Maxed) There are many others

3. Clay Bar used after 1 and 2 ...Lots of soapy water and Bilt Hamber 'Regular' Bar. Best out there

You will then need to polish the car.

I recommend AutoFinesse Tripple applied by hand and a Micro Fibre foam applicator

Finally a wax or sealant of your choice as a protection barrier...Millions to choose from. Sealants are generally more durable and waxes less so ....unless youre prepared to spend a lot!

Where can you buy all this lot:

https://www.powermaxed.com/vehicle-cleaning/clean-your-car

Everything else:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

Good luck

Chris

Owner of 'ChrisRS Valeting & Detailing' (Bingley, West Yorks)
Previous: MX-5 2013 (NC) Mk3.75 1.8 'SE' in Crystal White
Now: Mazda MX-5 2018 (ND) Mk4 2.0 'Sport Nav' in Meteor Grey and Sand Leather + 'Go Perform' exhaust

1 user thanked ChrisRs for this useful post.
ATR on 08/11/2018(UTC)
pfw
#9 Posted : 08 November 2018 21:11:00(UTC)
pfw

Thanks all, gives me a better idea of what I need, Dear Santa...........

pfw
#10 Posted : 09 November 2018 06:47:00(UTC)
pfw

Just one more question, do people still use stockinette or is it all microfibre towels now ?

Nickand jane
#11 Posted : 09 November 2018 08:11:59(UTC)
Nickand jane

Was thanked: 462 time(s) in 424 post(s)

Originally Posted by: pfw Go to Quoted Post

Just one more question, do people still use stockinette or is it all microfibre towels now ?

Microfibre for cloths and drying towels. If you need to know the name of a good company then PM me. I do work for them freelance but they supply many valeting suppliers.

The Captain - An MX5 Driver
NC ZSport - ObiWan - Radiant Ebony Mica - Larini
NC Sport - Belle - Winning Blue - Cobra Sport