Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Rob114
#1 Posted : 08 November 2018 17:15:52(UTC)
Rob114

Groups: Registered

OK so the mx5 is now rested up for the winter and we all know that means upgrade time  So I will be lifting the engine out to complete some jobs that need doing and some upgrades will I'm at it, the valve stem oil seals & a leak on the sump are the must do jobs then I'm on to performance, I will make it clear now that I will be doing all my self apart from stuff that require a machine shop, the final hope for the car is to stay naturally aspirated and run on ITB's again DIY from a bike,  now as you all know nothing is cheap & takes a while to-do  So this winter I will aim for a couple of bits ready for the final hope of ITB's 

First job is DIY port & polish that I know lots say you can't do with out bench flow test but hay I don't think I can make it worse than the original rough casting but would like to chat to other DIYers that have done this for performance & have data to back up.

I will also be wanting to upgrade the exhaust & De cat but would like to find out if there is much difference in performance between the 4-1 setups & the 4-2-1 setups?  

While the head is off I would use this time to send away to get skimmed but was thinking about 40 thou as I'm staying NA I Am after a 10.5 - 1 ratio,  I would like to know others experience with this & if there is any recommend for places North West England other than Blink that I'm more than happy to use for this unless others have found other good places,  the other side to this upgrade is the adjustment required for the timing,  how have other come over this and best solution?

The final upgrade for this winter will be to mega squirt her again this will be the DIY route so will order the parts and spend the time soldering all together then auto tune till I'm happy to go dyno for ignition programming. 

If there is any one out there with some data on there improvement with this sort of work on the mk1 1.6 I would love to hear about it,  I went to the Dyno the other night to get my pre work reading, best run hitting 110.89 BHP and 99.89 torque that I was very surprised by, after all 29 years is a long time for an engine 

Thanks in advance for any help/info & data shared with me 

Bol
#2 Posted : 09 November 2018 20:00:11(UTC)
Bol

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I think you’ll probably get a broader range and responses re this sort of thing on mx5nutz. Not to say that this forum isn’t a wealth of info, but nutz has a more active tuner community.
1996 Neo Green Eunos 1.8
 1 user thanked Bol for this useful post.
Rob114 on 10/11/2018(UTC)