Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Gerryn
#1 Posted : 04 December 2018 15:43:28(UTC)
Gerryn

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 454 time(s) in 398 post(s)

Reluctant but necessary sale (License revoked due to medical reasons)

A heart breaking moment for me, but it has to go. I’m selling it now so I can get a reasonable rebate on my road tax, and before I have to fork out several hundred pounds for essential work needed, which I can’t do myself. (I’m 85)

As it stands, the car is being sold at what to me is below true value, but in the hope that as it’s now winter, that some enthusiast will see it as an ideal start-up project in need of some TLC to bring it back to par. I’ll be honest, it needs new front discs (big brake) and possibly new brake hoses all round. Also may need either bodywork paint repair, or worst case, some welding to one offside rear sill. It did pass the MOT this year. Front chassis legs (frame) is O/K AFAIK, - no rust visible.

As the header states, it’s a 2002 MX5 NBFL (Mk 2.5) Sport, in crystal blue, first registered from March 1st 2002 but actually built late October 2001. Full Sport spec, but no air-con. Mileage 43,862. Photos - I’m afraid are limited, - only one, taken several years ago at an area outing, the car was in prime condition then. More recently it has a dent towards the rear nearside wing, just before the wheel well, and a broken body of the nearside passenger mirror (The electric adjustment and mirror are still good) – I have a ‘as new’ FOC complete replacement for this, but never got round to fitting it.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOdG0UXNWSzsc0SXBKzsYGKxDwCP0UXZGnkn-1i?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwitqrqgqv3eAhVqSxUIHdxVAOwQ9QEwAFABegQIARAD

Additional equipment bought and fitted over the years, as listed:

Full Mazda original body kit, lower sill covers and front nose cone (airdam and splitter.) - Dealer fitted price over £1,000 pounds, but cost me £450.

‘Hard dog’ deuce roll bar – built like a Sherman tank, bought well before other UK sources were producing them. Cost me £350 imported from the USA - Fitted myself.

Moss perforated SS grille cost around £12 Also fitted myself.

Mx5 parts clear rear light surround, improves the look of the rear end – Cost about £100+ .Original surround supplied FOC, if the buyer want’s tp bring back the OEM look.

A Nardi wood rim steering wheel, (from a crashed Arizona) fitted at a cost of £40. But also FOC. - the original Nardi leather bound steering wheel.

Mx5 Parts, chrome filler cap, recent replacement. FOC – earlier ditto but from Mazda, chrome is pitted. And FOC – original crystal blue metal cap.

Wheels- I was not happy with the original curly spoke 16” wheels, so replaced with 15” Rota Circuit 8’s,  (Originals sold several years ago) Tyres are recent, less than 100 miles, Toyo TIR – second set, first were still good, but six years old. Wheel  cost – over £300.

Finally – Hard Top, been on (except when in France) since 2003, also crystal blue, Soft top – believed still in good condition, last used around 2013, weatherproof. This IS NOT Mohair, but standard early NBFL issue. The hard top has been modified – by me – with a high level LED brake light. This is not fitted with a plug, but  by a screw connector. A hard top cover is supplied with the car, FOC. So is the rear tonneau cover.

Nearly forgot, Air Horns, long switch toggle near gear shift lever. Original horns still connected and working.

Exterior, the car was decked with GT vinyl stripes, which are  now past their ‘sell by’ date, as they are cracking (guaranteed for seven years only) Need removing, but buyer is warned that the original paint work may remain with ‘ghost’ stripes visible, easily overcome by fitting new (darker) ones. Cost around £100. unless you can DIY.

Overall, I believe the car is one of a kind, with extras fitted to no other car AFAIK. If I can sell it now, it’s £2,000. If sold in the spring, it will cost me several hundred pounds to put it back into shape, and be of no use to me either. It will then – I hope, sell for around £2,750 to £3,000. Not open to silly offers, unless they are close to the mark. The car (by me) has been tracked (Donny, Goodwood and Curboro) bit I would not be happy to sell it as a track car, it deserves better than that.

Sorry about lack of photos, both cameras are out of action at this time, and I cannot drive the car to the nearest garage to illustrate the advisories on the MOT – done this October 5th (renewal test time. - the car was sorn;d for six months in 2009, while I recovered from a leg operation) The license plate should be visible (if I can load the photo) But in case not, the plate number is S18 GCN (Personal plate number) – cost me around £200, but worth it for the “Last car I shall ever buy”. - YMMV. The front ‘plinth’ is cracked (Son reversed into it) but a new MX5 parts replacement offered, FOC.

Cam belt last changed five years ago IIRC, so a new water pump and cam belt would be advised next year. And an air filter. Oil and filter replaced in October this year. Gear box and diff levels may also need checking, or oil replaced. New steering pump drive belt replaced last year, but alternator belt (supplied FOC) still needs fitting. New Mazda front pads fitted at MOT time.

Only missing item is the jack and handle, loaned to my son so he can work on his CX5, should be returned around December 19th – I hope. If the buyer happens to live near Brighton, he can collect it themselves. Under the bonnet, I’ll be honest, the bay is dirty, I’m a firm believer in leaving well alone, if there’s no sign of oil or water leaks, don’t touch it, is my motto. YMMV – its up to you! If it waits till spring, then I may get it steam cleaned, but I can’t drive it there or back.

Service records” Not many, serviced by the dealer in 2002 /2003, afterwards serviced at Freelance Mazda in 2004, and Sam Goodwin twice since, otherwise serviced by either Clive Southern, or at the local garage, so bills available, but no official records. Clive, bless his heart, has never charged me for time.

Owners Handbook – INCLUDED for a change, falling apart (glue given up) but still complete. 2 sets keys, one with key fob. May also include a Mk2 Mazda workshop manual – wrong year, but covers most items except VVT. Not a lot of info, you need supplements X many to be up to scratch.

PM me for location and any info.

Five is Alive 2002 Mk2.5 Sport, with added Mazda body kit, 15 inch Rota Circuit 8 with Toyos, rescued wood rim steering wheel from a crashed Arizona. Air intake mods to come (one day!) Hard Dog Deuce rollbar. and HT (permanent fixture!) - It's still a sportscar.
saz9961
#2 Posted : 08 December 2018 01:58:42(UTC)
saz9961

Groups: ForumModerator, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 617 time(s) in 547 post(s)
The banter and best wishes expressed have been moved to their own dedicated topic:
https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/...omments.aspx#post759682

3 users thanked saz9961 for this useful post.
Gerryn on 08/12/2018(UTC), Countryboy on 08/12/2018(UTC), Bettabuilda on 09/12/2018(UTC)