Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Bantam_w
#1 Posted : 05 December 2018 16:57:19(UTC)
Bantam_w

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 3 post(s)

After fixing the issue I had with water wicking in earlier in the year and dripping onto the side of the driver's seat (and the same on the passenger seat), today I seemed to have a different and altogether more serious problem.

It's been torrential rain here in Yorkshire for the past 24 hours or so. I got into my soft-top NC and wondered why the centre tunnel was a little wet - rain hadn't blown in. It was only a few spots. 

Looking up, I noticed there were little tiny spots of water all over the inside of the roof. I wiped them off with a microfibre cloth and on the drive I had the heating on full and it did seem to dry it off inside. 

I've ordered a cover from MX-5 parts to hopefully save me from the inside being completely destroyed, but is this normal for the roof to ooze a little like this? It's never done this before and I've been driving in pretty heavy rain at times without any issues I noticed. It's only today this has happened.

I'm not sure what type of roof it is (it looks like cotton rather than plastic but that doesn't mean anything I'm sure!). I assume when the winter is over next year assuming I keep the cover on through the worst of it (sadly I can't garage it) I just need to re-proof the roof?

Or is it more serious and I should think about getting the roof replaced?

Edited by user 05 December 2018 16:58:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2006 Mk3/NC 1.8i in Winning Blue.
rhino666
#2 Posted : 05 December 2018 17:14:41(UTC)
rhino666

Man

Was thanked: 731 time(s) in 699 post(s)

It is a 12 year old car possibly in fact probably still sporting its original cloth/mohair roof.

These do need a little attention when this sort of problem occurs. I recommend Fabsil Gold but the problem is it needs to be applied to a dry roof which is a tall order at the moment.

Fabsil Gold will stop the porosity, provided no real damage for at least a year. Gently clean the roof material, dry off and apply - very simple job in summer but no chance over the last couple of weeks unless stored inside.  

Dreadful weather down here in South Devon too - Horrendous 40 mile round trip in the Eunos to totnes train station today.        

1997 black 1.6i MK1 - 4/12/2002
1991 red 1.6i Eunos - 21/9/2008

1 user thanked rhino666 for this useful post.
Bantam_w on 05/12/2018(UTC)
Nickand jane
#3 Posted : 05 December 2018 17:15:10(UTC)
Nickand jane

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 429 post(s)
It's condensation. The roof does not ooze.
The Captain - An MX5 Driver
NC ZSport - ObiWan - Radiant Ebony Mica - Larini
NC Sport - Belle - Winning Blue - Cobra Sport
 1 user thanked Nickand jane for this useful post.
Bantam_w on 05/12/2018(UTC)
Bantam_w
#4 Posted : 05 December 2018 17:27:04(UTC)
Bantam_w

Man

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Nickand jane Go to Quoted Post

I did wonder this - I would have thought if the roof had become porous there would have been quite a bit more water inside the car. As it was it seems like it only dripped when I opened the door and dislodged some.

I may well do the reproof as suggested by rhino666 in the spring anyway as it would keep the roof in good nick (it looks pretty good anyway).

I've ordered a couple of those 1Kg Silica Gel Pouches which absorb the water so I'll keep a couple of those in the car through the winter - a combination of using it regularly and thus evaporating the water, those and a cover may well be the best combination.

2006 Mk3/NC 1.8i in Winning Blue.
saz9961
#5 Posted : 05 December 2018 17:37:35(UTC)
saz9961

Groups: ForumModerator, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 617 time(s) in 547 post(s)
"Mohair" is a layered material; there will be a canvas-cotton type liner, and the woven cloth outer, and in between a rubber layer. The rubber rots, and thus the material becomes porous. The reproofing treatments I suppose plug the pinholes.

A material like Goretex is breathable, because it has a membrane full of holes, but these won't let water drops through. I suppose something like this is happening, or drops are evaporating in the relative warmth of the car.
rhino666
#6 Posted : 05 December 2018 17:38:15(UTC)
rhino666

Man

It could be condensation but there would need to be water inside the car for that to form. First sign of water ingress is usually condensation but on the windows rather than the warmer roof material.

My guess was that the roof material is a little tired and needs reproofing. It has got loaded with water in this recent rain, rather than repelling it and the pressure of heavy raindrops has forced some though into the car in a fine spray.  

MickAP
#7 Posted : 05 December 2018 19:15:15(UTC)
MickAP

Was thanked: 599 time(s) in 567 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Nickand jane Go to Quoted Post

I agree, I had a MK2 that dripped water from the inside, just a few spots, condensation. Properly dried out reproofed it never leaked again. I think it because it had stood outside in winter before I  bought it and the previous owner hadn't cared for it very well, it was really damp on the roof inside.

Current car...07 plate True Red Sport. MeisterR's, Colbalt rear box, Royal Steering Wheel retrim.
richardn
#8 Posted : 06 December 2018 10:10:17(UTC)
richardn

Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 221 post(s)

Originally Posted by: rhino666 Go to Quoted Post

It could be condensation but there would need to be water inside the car for that to form. First sign of water ingress is usually condensation but on the windows rather than the warmer roof material.

My guess was that the roof material is a little tired and needs reproofing. It has got loaded with water in this recent rain, rather than repelling it and the pressure of heavy raindrops has forced some though into the car in a fine spray.  

There is always water in the car, that's the way the hood drains through the car. I would say reproof the hood and silica in pouches (or Silica cat litter in an old sock)

Mk3 2.0 Sport 180bhp enkie wheels and lots of other stuff
 1 user thanked richardn for this useful post.
Bantam_w on 06/12/2018(UTC)
Nickand jane
#9 Posted : 06 December 2018 17:16:56(UTC)
Nickand jane

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 467 time(s) in 429 post(s)

I get condensation in the Sport and the ZSport, its not a hood problem and there is no water in the car, I think it is down to weather conditions. Generally only bad if they have not been used for a day or so.

The Captain - An MX5 Driver
NC ZSport - ObiWan - Radiant Ebony Mica - Larini
NC Sport - Belle - Winning Blue - Cobra Sport
rhino666
#10 Posted : 06 December 2018 18:28:07(UTC)
rhino666

Man

Originally Posted by: richardn Go to Quoted Post

There is always water in the car, that's the way the hood drains through the car. I would say reproof the hood and silica in pouches (or Silica cat litter in an old sock)

I would say you are wrong Richard!

You will not get serious condensation on the roof material with normal rainrail, drain tube activity. The idea is that water runs along the rail and out through the drains - quite simple really and no water ingress.  

The sort of condensation discussed will only occur where water has overflowed those drains or found another way of getting inside the car. Water that has found its way into a car will start to evaporate and saturate the air in the car, condensing onto cold surfaces in given conditions.    

If it is condensation from inside the car  as you suggest what is the point of reproofing the roof?

Just out of interest and aside from contradicting me and misleading people, what was the point in your post?