Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

mfdriver
#1 Posted : 05 December 2018 18:35:29(UTC)
mfdriver

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Is there a relatively simple way of clearing the misting/ageing of the headlamp cluster lens ? I have looked in the FAQ section and can't see any advice on this common issue!

MickAP
#2 Posted : 05 December 2018 19:02:29(UTC)
MickAP

Was thanked: 601 time(s) in 569 post(s)

Autoglym super resin polish and plenty of elbow grease, something like T cut too can also do the job although there are better alternatives. A small polishing/buffing wheel fixed in a drill with said above applied eases the job. And or if very badly yellowed/faded some very fine wet n dry paper and a light rub then as above buff up can bring them back to clear and sparking again.

Current car...07 plate True Red Sport. MeisterR's, Colbalt rear box, Royal Steering Wheel retrim.
 1 user thanked MickAP for this useful post.
mfdriver on 05/12/2018(UTC)
mfdriver
#3 Posted : 05 December 2018 19:15:32(UTC)
mfdriver

So all this can be done in situ. That's a relief- many thanks.

MickAP
#4 Posted : 05 December 2018 20:04:27(UTC)
MickAP

^^^ Yes just mask off the painted area around the lights especially if using a buffer wheel, assuming this is for headilighs that look faded, not misted on the inside?

Current car...07 plate True Red Sport. MeisterR's, Colbalt rear box, Royal Steering Wheel retrim.
 1 user thanked MickAP for this useful post.
mfdriver on 05/12/2018(UTC)
mfdriver
#5 Posted : 05 December 2018 21:26:47(UTC)
mfdriver

Yes, it's the offside cluster as the nearside looks new following an accident repair. Like a slight yellowing which I assume is ageing of exterior of lens.

Scottishfiver
#6 Posted : 06 December 2018 08:03:18(UTC)
Scottishfiver

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 393 time(s) in 320 post(s)

Not forgetting they are only poly-carbonate and not glass so Mick's advice is excellent insofar there is a limit as to how aggressive the chemical applications need to be.

Apologies if you already were aware. 

RUSS AITKEN
#7 Posted : 06 December 2018 08:27:06(UTC)
RUSS AITKEN

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)

I can vouch for this  

Meguiars One Step Headlight Restoration Kit

from Halfrauds £18 ish

I used it on the headlights of my 52 plate Toyota Corolla winter car last weekend, 11 minutes each side and the results have been amazing. Definately worth a try.

Cheers!

Russ

Keith&Jayne
#8 Posted : 06 December 2018 09:03:19(UTC)
Keith&Jayne

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)

Originally Posted by: RUSS AITKEN Go to Quoted Post

I can vouch for this  

Meguiars One Step Headlight Restoration Kit

from Halfrauds £18 ish

I used it on the headlights of my 52 plate Toyota Corolla winter car last weekend, 11 minutes each side and the results have been amazing. Definately worth a try.

Cheers!

Russ

+1

2001 Mk 2.5 1.8i Sport in Crystal Blue
MickAP
#9 Posted : 06 December 2018 09:48:03(UTC)
MickAP

Yes the above suggestions too are good, can be expensive if you need to renew the headlight(s) for just a bit of buffing.

I guess if they are that bad it can also be an MOT failure.

mfdriver
#10 Posted : 07 December 2018 12:18:15(UTC)
mfdriver

Many thanks to you all for excellent advice. There was a moment this morning when it stopped raining so I nipped out and set about the headlamp with Turtle Wax scratch remover and Maguires Fibreglass refurbisher(left overs in garage) and after 15 minutes the headlamp was back to highly presentable.

What a great club this is

Malcolm

1 user thanked mfdriver for this useful post.
MickAP on 07/12/2018(UTC)
Gerryn
#11 Posted : 07 December 2018 15:12:24(UTC)
Gerryn

Man

Was thanked: 455 time(s) in 399 post(s)
No idea if these are still available - ask your dealer? Years ago, I saw an thread on miata.net where some owners were recommending 'headlight protectors' which are suitable for all Mk2/2.5 cars, on the grounds that replacements lenses cost an arm and a leg. These are easy to install, and keep the lense clean and 'as new' condition, so I bought a pair myself. They've been on my car since 2002, and keep the lenses clear without any clouding problems. Removable when ever you do need to clean them, as rain and dirt gets behind them, so they are highly useful. My only problem, took them off last year to clean the car, and with the bonnet open, left the retaining clips on the slam panel - big mistake, I caught them with my elbow and they dissapeared behind the rad and went from view. Down on knees (at my age that ain't easy) and felt on the ground and under the nose cone to see if they were around, even moved the car and still no sign of them. So now, have nice clear lenses without protectors, and no clips.

They saved one bang, lost a piece out the edge when some female drove out of a parking space in front of me and hit the nearside edge of my car. No warning, just an impatient driver. Might have also incurred some pitting on the headlights, - 'B road convoys' - but they saved any of that. Polycarbonate I think. Cost me - then, about £20 IIRC.
Five is Alive 2002 Mk2.5 Sport, with added Mazda body kit, 15 inch Rota Circuit 8 with Toyos, rescued wood rim steering wheel from a crashed Arizona. Air intake mods to come (one day!) Hard Dog Deuce rollbar. and HT (permanent fixture!) - It's still a sportscar.