Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Coolie
#1 Posted : 28 December 2018 20:01:50(UTC)
Coolie

Groups: Registered

Hello All

I currently have an NC3 ZSPORT in decent nic and 34,000mls.   We've been considering an upgrade to an NC3.5 Sport Tech or similar version.   

Would the car have quieter road noise at high speeds, we find constant running at 75mph can be wearing on the ears for several hours.  Is the later version hardtop noticeably quieter and less wearing?

Is the suspension more controlled and settled?  The front seems to be lower on the 3.5 and i wonder if this improved handling and control

i think i have read the 3.5 engine had strong engine (crank?) thinking we might have BBR 200 conversion done

We might try and search out a Recaro equipped 3.5 - is the seating position adversely affected with these seats

any experience / aberrations would help us.  we were impressed with a 14plate Sport Tech we looked at today - but no opportunity to test drive.

thanks 

Craig 

2007 Z-Sport (new to me Aug 2018, 2 owners and 31,250mls)

Let the fun begin...
Drumtochty
#2 Posted : 28 December 2018 20:14:37(UTC)
Drumtochty

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 621 time(s) in 572 post(s)
The engine is tronger and the suspension is tweeked and it handles a bit better.

The worst thing you can do is buy an MX5 and say 50% of the time drive it with the hood up.

It is not a nice car with the hood up and never will be, it is noisey and you hear all the noises you do not hear when the hood down.

I have driven for hours with the hood down over long distances. Le Mans to Aberdeenshire with no issues at all and at 70mph and more most of the way. If we had to drive all day with the hood up, I would take our Subaru not maybe but always if the hood was up.

The noise will be similar on any Mk3 especialy with the hood up.
Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Laurencekirk,
Aberdeenshire
rhino666
#3 Posted : 28 December 2018 20:47:58(UTC)
rhino666

Man

Was thanked: 770 time(s) in 732 post(s)

Hi Craig

Don't expect any improvement in road noise, sorry to say. These cars will always be quite noisy on whatever MK.

Tyre choice may have some effect on this but MX5 not a refined car in this respect. 

As already commented on by my learned friend the MK3.5 had some improvements that you will be pleased about and of course it is a newer car - unlikely to have lower mileage than yours though.      

1997 black 1.6i MK1 - 4/12/2002
1991 red 1.6i Eunos - 21/9/2008

BarnsleyRob
#4 Posted : 29 December 2018 02:10:26(UTC)
BarnsleyRob

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I’ve got a 2010 Sport Tech 2.0 PRHT. It’s civilised with the roof up but that’s just not enjoying it. At 60+ mph with the roof down, you don’t hear any rattles, squeaks, the missus or the stereo come to that - fabulous experience.

It’s my first MX-5, having come from a Copen! But the engine is both torquey if you want a steady drive, but equally happy to rev freely if you need to push on. I find it easy to live with and switch between both driving styles as and when. Expect 30 mpg pootling around, but that’s also missing the point.

Since I bought mine in June, I reckon I’ve done 1k of totally unnecessary miles - and enjoyed every single one. The rest, I just enjoyed getting to wherever I had to go even if I didn’t enjoy the destination !
2010 Mk3.5 in Copper Red
Nickand jane
#5 Posted : 29 December 2018 07:45:09(UTC)
Nickand jane

Was thanked: 470 time(s) in 432 post(s)

Originally Posted by: BarnsleyRob Go to Quoted Post

Since I bought mine in June, I reckon I’ve done 1k of totally unnecessary miles - and enjoyed every single one. The rest, I just enjoyed getting to wherever I had to go even if I didn’t enjoy the destination !

Kind of sums these cars up exactly, and always take the long way home.

The Captain - An MX5 Driver
NC ZSport - ObiWan - Radiant Ebony Mica - Larini
NC Sport - Belle - Winning Blue - Cobra Sport
Creayzy
#6 Posted : 29 December 2018 08:56:38(UTC)
Creayzy

Man

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 134 post(s)

Roadster.Blog
ND TECHNICAL NC TECHNICAL SPECIALS & CONCEPTS SHOWCASE COOL STUFF

Thursday, 22 August 2013
The 2009 Roadster's Facelift
Introducing The NC2 Upgrades

In 2009 Mazda introduced a facelift version of the Roadster. This NC2 MX-5 (Mk3.5) model featured a fairly comprehensive list of upgrades over the original. The most obvious change is the exterior appearance, but underneath there were many tweaks and refinements to improve the 'performance feel' of the car. So what's new?

Exterior Upgrades
Styling that looks more dynamic and is more aerodynamic
New single front fascia bumper that is more aggressive and aerodynamically efficient
New five-point bar-type grille (soft top)
New five-point mesh-type grille with chrome trim (coupe & some special editions)
New headlamp design with clear indicator lenses
New highly-sculptured triangular front fog lamp bezels
New wider side skirts with more sculptured look and aerodynamic improvement designed to smooth airflow over the rear wheels
New design 17" and 16" alloy wheels
New rear bumper design that is more integrated with the body, slanting inward and upward to be flush with the lower part of the new tail light
New design rear bumper features sculpted lines behind the rear wheel to match the new side skirt
New rear tail lights with more aerodynamic shape extend outwards to reduce turbulence, also feature a reflective sideways 'U' shape when illuminated by following cars' headlamps
Two new colours, Aluminium Metallic and Metropolitan Grey Mica
Aluminium Metallic colour contains aluminium particles that diffuse light and cause diverse kinds of reflections and shadow depending on light conditions
Extended spoilers below each front fog lamps with optimized shapes
More protruding lower front grille lip
Wider under body front tyre deflectors
New shape door mirrors optimised for low drag
New appearance package options include rear diffuser trim, new design rear spoiler, more aggressive looking upgrade side skirt, and new front lip spoiler

Interior Upgrades
Improved levels of quality feel and interior comfort
Decorative dashboard panel changed from piano black to dark silver
New instrument graphics spaced further apart for better readability
Wider red zone (2.0-litre petrol with manual transmission)
New red-backlit LCD trip meter/odometer display
New LCD display between main instruments now shows average fuel consumption and ambient temperature
Climate control knobs now silver ringed
Latest factory installed audio system with a cleaner look
New interior colour scheme for a sportier look
Redesigned seats with larger side bolsters and revised cushion surface with horizontal stitch pattern instead of vertical
Driver's seat height adjustable on all models
Heated and driver's height adjustable Recaro sports seats now available (depending on grade and market)
New five-position seat heating (depending on grade and market) for leather and Recaro seats
New door cards with new door pockets and Redesigned lower door cup holders for more side leg room
New soft pads on top of door armrests and centre console lid for more comfort
Larger storage compartment in front of gear lever with rubber mat to minimise rattling noise
New AUX jack at bottom of centre console for connecting MP3 player to car’s audio system
New centre console’s two cup holders now have a new removable partition that allows the use of either two cup holders or one large storage space and rubber mats for better support and the prevention of rattling noises
Cruise control now available (depending on grade and market)
Bluetooth phone system with voice recognition for hands-free telephoning (depending on grade and market)
Bose and Mazda worked together to develop a refined premium audio system exclusively for the MX-5 upgrade
The new improved Bose stereo uses seven speakers, digital sound processing and an extra two equalizer channels, bringing the total to six. These extra channels mean that almost every speaker now has it's own individual equalizer channel for very precise sound tuning and optimisation. The new system also uses signal crossovers to seperate the high and low frequencies and send them to the correct speaker. This results in better sound quality with less distortion at high volume levels. The Bose stereo also uses an improved version of the AudioPilot noise compensation technology. This is a microphone in the dashboard that monitors noise level in the cabin and automatically adjusts the sound from the stereo. While the previous AudioPilot only monitors interior noise, AudioPilot 2 works by adjusting the sound to both interior noise and vehicle speed.

Performance Upgrades
MZR 2.0 engine is revised for better performance feel and top speed (manual transmission only)
The engine now produces 160 PS at 7,000 rpm (up from 6,700 rpm) maximum torque of 188 Nm remains at 5,000 rpm
Rev limit fuel cut-off increased by 500 rpm to 7,500 (around 7,200 in some markets) for livelier acceleration feel
Surge tank optimised for rigidity for improved contribution to engine sound
New forged steel crankshaft to minimise vibration at high engine speeds
Fully floating pistons with higher pin-boss reliability
Newly-designed valve springs that suppress valve ‘bounce’ at high revs
Higher-durability materials for the connecting-rod bearings
Added an engine oil cooler
Revised six-speed manual transmission for improved gear shifting, 3rd – 4th gear synchromesh diameter is now increased by 6 mm, all synchronizer cone specifications are revised and a carbon coating is used on some of the meshing surfaces of the 1st through 4th gear synchronizer cones
The upgrades to the six-speed gearbox improve acceleration performance 0-100km/h in 7.9 seconds for the soft top and top speed 218km/h (135mph)for coupe
New induction sound enhancer (ISE) on six-speed manual cars amplifies pulse sounds created when the throttle valve opens for a more sporty engine sound This sound is transmitted to the dash panel through the air, but also to the dashboard, the outside dash top and the windshield frame through a special duct
The sound transmission to the outside dash top creates an even more intense sound when the roof is open
New to UK six-speed automatic transmission with steering-wheel paddle shift and two new control technologies: Direct Activematic and Active Adaptive Shift
All powertrains fine-tuned to improve fuel economy
MZR 1.8 with five-speed manual uses 7.0 litres of fuel per 100 km (4% reduction)
MZR 2.0 with five-speed manual uses 7.4 litres of fuel per 100 km (4% reduction)
MZR 2.0 with six-speed manual uses 7.6 litres per 100 km (7% reduction)
MZR 2.0 with six-speed automatic transmission uses 7.9 litres per 100 km

Chassis Upgrades
The front suspension geometry was revised by altering the ball joints’ vertical pivot position, lowering the height of the front roll centre by 26 mm
Decreased fluctuations in vertical load on the outer wheel when cornering so that roll movement caused by steering input is now more linear
New suspension tuning for even more precise reaction to steering input
Yaw and roll feel more natural for a higher quality ride
Tyre pressure monitoring system now available in most markets
Dynamic stability control (DSC) now standard in most markets

Roadster Coupe

The retractable hardtop coupe model was repositioned as the premium model with some added trim:
New mesh-type front grille with a chrome-look fascia edge for more sophistication
Chrome-finish inner bezel for the headlamps
Silver inner bezels for the front fog lamps
Chrome-finish exterior door handles
Clear type high-mount rear stop lamp
The inside is also quieter when driving with the roof raised due to the front suspension cross member being filled with urethane to reduce transmission of road noise to the cabin. There is also additional sound damping material in the front section of the roof. These changes resulted in the cabin being 2.7 dB quieter than the previous coupe model (measured at 60 km/h on a coarse road), helping to give the car a more premium feel.

Enjoy Roadster Life

copyright © 2018 www.roadster.blog
This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and to analyse traffic. Your IP address and user agent are shared with Google, together with performance and security metrics, to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics and to detect and address abuse.LEARN MOREOK

1994 MK 1.0 1.8 Sunburst Yellow Eunos J Limited ll
2010 Mk 3.5 1.8 Aurora Blue 20th Anniversary Edition

West London Area
 1 user thanked Creayzy for this useful post.
fjohnw on 29/12/2018(UTC)
Coolie
#7 Posted : 29 December 2018 09:30:42(UTC)
Coolie

Thanks for these comments back.  Comprehensive info there - the changes were pretty full on then really.

Our is a Zsport, which really needs its originality retaining or moving on for the benefits of the updated model.  more thinking to do....

i guess the suspension components which created the improved handling could be applied to the old model - does anyone know?

if we keep the Zsport, we'll likely do something with the suspension (don't really want to do coilovers), and possible a more mild BBR spec without the cams (given the  old engine isn't so strong)

Craig

2007 Z-Sport (new to me Aug 2018, 2 owners and 31,250mls)

Let the fun begin...
andy1964
#8 Posted : 29 December 2018 09:59:01(UTC)
andy1964

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 38 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Coolie Go to Quoted Post

Would the car have quieter road noise at high speeds, we find constant running at 75mph can be wearing on the ears for several hours.  Is the later version hardtop noticeably quieter and less wearing?

Hi Craig,

I have a 2012 Mk3.5 PRHT (folding hard-top) & I've always found it to be absolutely fine on the motorway with the roof up.

Yes it's a little noisier than a car with a fixed roof, which is to be expected but I've done many long trips since I bought the car nearly 7 years ago - 350 miles Sheffield to Falmouth every year, 200 miles Sheffield to Salisbury, 360 miles Sheffield to Oban in Scotland etc etc & each trip's been great, certainly no problems for me at all with noise on these long journeys.

I do have the roof down at every opportunity - but not on the motorway, at those speeds top-down motoring, for me, is no fun!  But it's fine with the roof down at 60mph on A-roads.

One of my considerations when deciding to go for the MX-5 was comfort on long journeys, which is why I went for the folding hard-top model; if the car had only been available with a fabric roof then I probably wouldn't have bought one.  I'm very pleased to say that in the 32,000 miles I've covered now in my MX-5 since I bought it new I've never been at all disappointed with the comfort / noise level of my car, it's a great motorway vehicle (roof up) in addition to the enjoyment of roof-down motoring on those A roads & B roads.

Edited by user 29 December 2018 10:05:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2012 2.0 Sportech RC, Stormy Blue
Lives in Sheffield, UK
b0builder
#9 Posted : 29 December 2018 10:43:34(UTC)
b0builder

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 19 post(s)

If it was me I would keep the zsport and spend a couple  of grand on suspension and tune up 

It sound like you have looked after yours so why change from something you know 

Yes the engines are supposed to be stronger but they still suffer the same has the nc1 from low oil

The suspension changed but not by much 

The other thing is you have a zsport these seem to be in high demand if you have the original BBS alloys (that iI don' like at all) then even more so. 

Chris Phillips
#10 Posted : 02 January 2019 07:02:02(UTC)
Chris Phillips

Man

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 162 post(s)

Originally Posted by: andy1964 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Coolie Go to Quoted Post

Hi Craig,

I have a 2012 Mk3.5 PRHT (folding hard-top) & I've always found it to be absolutely fine on the motorway with the roof up.

Yes it's a little noisier than a car with a fixed roof, which is to be expected but I've done many long trips since I bought the car nearly 7 years ago - 350 miles Sheffield to Falmouth every year, 200 miles Sheffield to Salisbury, 360 miles Sheffield to Oban in Scotland etc etc & each trip's been great, certainly no problems for me at all with noise on these long journeys.

I do have the roof down at every opportunity - but not on the motorway, at those speeds top-down motoring, for me, is no fun!  But it's fine with the roof down at 60mph on A-roads.

One of my considerations when deciding to go for the MX-5 was comfort on long journeys, which is why I went for the folding hard-top model; if the car had only been available with a fabric roof then I probably wouldn't have bought one.  I'm very pleased to say that in the 32,000 miles I've covered now in my MX-5 since I bought it new I've never been at all disappointed with the comfort / noise level of my car, it's a great motorway vehicle (roof up) in addition to the enjoyment of roof-down motoring on those A roads & B roads.

I'm inclined to agree with Andy.

I personally have had no problems with noise levels on either of my MX-5s.  You have to remember that no removable-roof car is ever going to be as quiet as a fixed-roof model.  I've always thought that the MX-5 is a very civilized car, especially the PRHT models.  To my mind you get the best of both worlds - the fun of an open roadster, or with the roof up, a very snug and quiet little saloon.  I was a motor mechanic back in the 1970s, and comparing sports cars of the day (MGBs, Spitfires, Sprites or TRs etc), I've always considered the MX-5 noise levels to be very acceptable.  Advances in design, materials and technology over the decades have also brought vast improvements in reliability, ride quality and handling too.

Back in 2011, my wife got our first MX-5 - an automatic 2.0L PRHT as her company car, and we both fell in love with the marque.  We kept it for four years, as our only means of transport, and loved every second.  When it had to go back, at the end of the lease period, we bought our present MX-5, because we didn't want to be without one.

As Andy suggested, fast motorway driving is probably best done with the lid up - wind buffeting at speeds much over 60 - 70 mph can be a bit tiring.  This would be the same with any topless car of course, but at the press of a button, one can turn a 5 with a PRHT into a snug little saloon.  Like I said - best of both worlds !

Our current MX-5 is a 2008 2.0L Sport Roadster-Coupe in Galaxy Grey, with black alloys (a bit unusual and truly scrumptious !).
My wife's company Scirocco has been returned now, and she has bought a lovely 2016 Mazda 3 of her own (that should slow her down a bit !).
DonT
#11 Posted : 02 January 2019 07:51:34(UTC)
DonT

Man

Was thanked: 434 time(s) in 422 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Drumtochty Go to Quoted Post
The engine is tronger and the suspension is tweeked and it handles a bit better.

The worst thing you can do is buy an MX5 and say 50% of the time drive it with the hood up.

It is not a nice car with the hood up and never will be, it is noisey and you hear all the noises you do not hear when the hood down.

I have driven for hours with the hood down over long distances. Le Mans to Aberdeenshire with no issues at all and at 70mph and more most of the way. If we had to drive all day with the hood up, I would take our Subaru not maybe but always if the hood was up.

The noise will be similar on any Mk3 especialy with the hood up.
Exactly, it’s the same with the MK1 but there again MX-5s are sports cars not cruisers.

Edited by user 02 January 2019 07:52:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1995 Mazda MX-5 1.8 iS in Classic Red
Winner Standard Mk1 Donington Park National Rally 2016
Winner Standard Mk1 Kelmarsh Hall National Rally 2015
Owned since April 2002
Club Member since April 2002
Nurburgring & Stelvio Pass
BMW 330D M Sport
Peugeot 107
Featured in Modern Classics January 2019
Moonshine
#12 Posted : 16 January 2019 18:15:00(UTC)
Moonshine

Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I'll be advertising my black 2010 2L sport tech PRHT in with 28k miles in a couple of weeks if you are interested.
Black 2010 NC 2.0 Sport Tech,DRL's, rear PDC,
Steering Wheel retrimmed by Royal