Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Mr_Over_Engineered
#1 Posted : 03 January 2019 09:19:42(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hello fellow MX5 people, I purchased a £300 MX5 unseen off Ebay as a project 2 years ago. The fact it wasnt worth saving didnt bother me - I like building cars and constantly changing them. In the immortal words of Jesse 'Theres something about engines that calms me down'

I will try and comment on as many as the pictures as possible so you know what the hell is going on in my head...

So let me massive picture upload begin!

Mr_Over_Engineered
#2 Posted : 03 January 2019 09:21:22(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

I had to rent a trailer to pick the car up from wonderfull Stoke, luckily my dad is just as impulsive as me so we went to pick it up November 2016.

Luckily it ran, although it hadnt moved for years and I got very wet when the roof poured water onto my leg.

Edited by user 03 January 2019 09:26:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mr_Over_Engineered
#3 Posted : 03 January 2019 09:30:11(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

I started tearing into the little rust bucket, knowing there would be some rust (Im used to working on Landrovers so no biggie)

Little did I know how much rust there was....

Mr_Over_Engineered
#4 Posted : 03 January 2019 09:33:58(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

I havent got too many pictures of the main repairs, it wasnt that much fun doing rust repair for 12 months.....

Mr_Over_Engineered
#5 Posted : 03 January 2019 09:39:55(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

So after spending so much time doing rust repair I didnt want to finish it and have it look exactly like every other MX5 on the road. So I decided that I wanted to make it a wide body, while I was working in London I picked up a set of wide arches and over arches from IMG Services. Soon after I got a set of Rota Grid V 15x8 et0

Mr_Over_Engineered
#6 Posted : 03 January 2019 09:47:47(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

At the same time as doing the wide body I was repairing the underside, painting it and replacing every nut and bolt that I could. I also picked up a bargain Kakimoto exhaust (£100) and some Koni dampers with lowering springs (£80).

I also replaced with new:

Brake calipers

Brake Pads

Brake Discs

Braided Brake Lines

Fuel Filter

Brake Lines

Fuel Lines

Handbrake cables

Track rod ends

Anti roll bar connectors

Wheel bearings

Spark plugs

Ignition leads

Alloy radiator

Coolant hoses

Thermostat

Gear lever boot and seals

I also replaced some parts with second hand upgrades:

1.8 drive shafts

1.8 LSD from a MK1

Power steering rack and pump

Edited by user 03 January 2019 10:01:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mr_Over_Engineered
#7 Posted : 03 January 2019 09:53:01(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

After cutting so much material out of the back end I wanted to add some bracing and a decent tow point

Ordered a Driftfab bash bar and set about customising it.

I also fitted an import rear plate surround and number plate lights

Edited by user 03 January 2019 09:54:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mr_Over_Engineered
#8 Posted : 03 January 2019 10:06:55(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

I have never done any painting before apart from a few small rattle can jobs, so I bought myself a spray gun and some paint and decided to have a go. We built a make shift spray booth in the garage. To be honest it was a bit pointless as it made no difference to the quality of the paint it just made it more awkward to squeeze around the car.

Mr_Over_Engineered
#9 Posted : 03 January 2019 10:19:54(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

After it was painted and put back together I decided to get it on the road, flew through the MOT and got a quick wheel alignment done. Driving it was fun but there was one thing that I really, really got annoyed by.... It was so F****** slow!!!

Soon after I reaslised a stripped interior was also no fun so I got new carpets, fitted a head unit I had lying around and some speakers. TR Lane roll bar was fitted a while ago I think I missed that one. Got a D1 Spec snap off steering wheel hub along with a genuine Sparco steering wheel. ECU was relocated into the glove box.

Mr_Over_Engineered
#10 Posted : 03 January 2019 10:24:59(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

On a whim I bought a hard top as the old soft top had shrank and was leaking, got that painted up in black and also fitted the biggest and gayest of wings. A second hand Japspeed carbon fibre drift wing.

Now I will tell you this - as soon as I drove it I could tell the difference. Even on the lowest angle of attack the back end was pushed down so much I had to raise the rear suspension (I had just fitted a set of brand new Meisters!)

There was only one downside....UNDERSTEER and lots of it lol

And with the lanes and drives I have to go down there was no way I could fit a front splitter with enough downforce to balance out the car. So soon after the BGW was sold....

Mr_Over_Engineered
#11 Posted : 03 January 2019 10:35:41(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

Then the big day came, fed up of the lack of power I booked the car in with MTEC to be turbo'd. I also opted for boost control, BMW TPS sensor, launch control and anti lag.

I would love to show you the dyno graph but to this day I havent received them lol

While it was being converted there were one or two issues that delayed the build and also cost lots of money to fix!

1. The brand new SkidNation high flow thermostat I had fitted was faulty and wasnt opening enough - so the car was over heating. This was swapped out for an OEM one.

2. The exhaust was too restrictive, even with a decat and Kakimoto cat back exhaust it couldnt push past 200bhp. So MTEC made a new high flow system for me.

So after all this the basic conversion price of £2.5k turned into over £4k  

Mr_Over_Engineered
#12 Posted : 03 January 2019 10:43:59(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

Now the interior was sorted along with the chassis, brakes and power I decided to revamp the outside. I wanted to keep the wide body but also add a 'body kit' to make the car look lower. I decided on the Destroy or Die kit as it has a much more rounded look and suits the car more than a Duce kit or Rocket Bunny.

I had the front bumper for when the turbo was fitted, so MTEC could position the intercooler with the right bumper on. I soon after got the rear bumper after an incident with a hedge ruined the original.

The front wings were replaced with Waspworks arches, the original IMG Services arches were so bent and poorly made they ended up in a skip. I was running round on some modified ebay generic wide arches while I looked for a decent replacement.

The Destroy or Die side skirts are currently on order, should be picking up the Waspworks rear arches in the next few weeks so I can get rid of the IMG ones.

Mr_Over_Engineered
#13 Posted : 03 January 2019 10:45:31(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

A mate who runs a local garage, and is probably the best MX5 drifter in the UK made up a front bash bar for me.

DonT
#14 Posted : 03 January 2019 10:57:07(UTC)
DonT

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 440 time(s) in 428 post(s)
Well done, you have put a lot of effort in and it shows, great photographs too.Thanks for posting them
1995 Mazda MX-5 1.8 iS in Classic Red
Winner Standard Mk1 Donington Park National Rally 2016
Winner Standard Mk1 Kelmarsh Hall National Rally 2015
Owned since April 2002
Club Member since April 2002
Nurburgring & Stelvio Pass
BMW 330D M Sport
Peugeot 107
Featured in Modern Classics January 2019
 1 user thanked DonT for this useful post.
Mr_Over_Engineered on 03/01/2019(UTC)
H1S VRB
#15 Posted : 03 January 2019 11:10:56(UTC)
H1S VRB

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 152 post(s)

Welcome.  Nice work for a £300 unseen-off-eBay project! - they rarely end up the completed project that yours has.
I admire your enthusiasm, your vision, your skills - and your ridiculously deep pockets. 

Just curious - why 'Project Anger Management'?  I sense a back-story - if you want to share.

Steve

Steve Clark
1994 NA 1.8 S-Special Chaste White
1996 NA VR-Ltd B Green Mica
2007 NC 2.0 Copper Red

1 user thanked H1S VRB for this useful post.
Countryboy
#16 Posted : 03 January 2019 11:13:59(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 428 post(s)

Wow!  If ever there was a labour of love That's It!  Well done and keep up the good work!!

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
 1 user thanked Countryboy for this useful post.
Mr_Over_Engineered
#17 Posted : 03 January 2019 11:25:28(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

Originally Posted by: H1S VRB Go to Quoted Post

Welcome.  Nice work for a £300 unseen-off-eBay project! - they rarely end up the completed project that yours has.
I admire your enthusiasm, your vision, your skills - and your ridiculously deep pockets. 

Just curious - why 'Project Anger Management'?  I sense a back-story - if you want to share.

Steve

Thanks!

Not so much a back story, but I always have to have a project car to keep my thoughts and effort on. Building cars and going to the gym give me something to focus on, im always thinking about the next thing I want to do and the best way to do it.

If I start to get agitated or short tempered I go and work on the car, even if its late at night or freezing outside.

Mr_Over_Engineered
#18 Posted : 03 January 2019 11:44:11(UTC)
Mr_Over_Engineered

I know there is probably a seperate place for this but Id like to keep it together with the current project.

Just a small highlight of my previous builds:

Landrover Discovery 3.5 V8

Bought for £500, was my favourite car ever and I had a tear in my eye when I sold it.

Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Turbo

Tuned from 130bhp to 160bhp. Bigger turbo, intercooler, exhaust, turbo actuator. It sounded great but was very unreliable!

Civic EK

Complete bodywork rebuild, full respray and track set up suspension. Loved this car but it was written off when I was slammed into a barrier my a brand new Jag on the way to work. I couldnt afford to fix it at the time although I wished Id have stored it somewhere to fix later.

Kid number 1 came along and my first house, decided on a sensible family car so I bought an Astra SRI 200. It had every toy available and was probably the highest spec in the UK.

Stock 198bhp, when I finished it was 298bhp (detuned from 310bhp to run a stock airbox)

Chillax
#19 Posted : 03 January 2019 12:19:29(UTC)
Chillax

Man

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 38 post(s)

Welcome to the forum! Amazing build on the mx5 mate, nice to see another being saved.

Loving the list of previous cars, really varied but all nicely built/modified. Keep the photos coming mate, enjoying the read. 

Drives: Mk1 Mazda MX5 NA. Life is a journey best travelled with the top down! https://futureclassiccars.uk

1 user thanked Chillax for this useful post.
AndrewR
#20 Posted : 03 January 2019 12:30:31(UTC)
AndrewR

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
What an MX5 project - rescued from the brink and brought back to a nice motor. Well done.

The other cars you show look good too.
MX5 MK2.5 (2003) 1.8i Splash Green - Stainless dual exit exhaust, K&N filter and polished chrome style bars.