Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Coolie
#1 Posted : 07 February 2019 09:23:13(UTC)
Coolie

Groups: Registered

We've been looking at a) making some upgrades on our Z-Sport NC, b) swopping to a late  - but now the option of an ND seems to be in scope

We've really enjoyed our 1st MX, i think more than we had expected - a 2000mls euro tour really cemented it for us.

Looking around at our next options, had a quick look at ND Deals - and was surprised at the discount which can be levered, and brings this option into scope.  Im not fussed about buying used cars, but i have to say, its been hard to find a used NC without various knocks and problems (in the £12k mark), i do like my cars to be in great condition.  So looked at a new ND - current got around £3k discount offerings, looking at Drive a Deal - we should be able to lever another £1k maybe, we'll use the PCP and then settle in a couple of months.

We are after a convertible.   the 1.5 SE-L Nav+ and the 2.0 Sport Nav+ cars seem to be the sweet spots in the range?  Obviously our current NC is a 2.0 but i'm thinking the 1.5 might be enough after the test drive we had - such a sweet rev engine.

Anyone else in the ND purchase space currently?, which models and deals have you been offered.   My experience so far with dealers, slightly hardwork - anyone had a great experience with a midlands based dealer and salesperson to recommend (haven't 1 who is fired up about MX5s thats for sure)

The3years servicing at £299 if the finance is taken seems a sensible pick too - i'm assuming the ND is an annual service is it?

2007 Z-Sport (new to me Aug 2018, 2 owners and 31,250mls)

Let the fun begin...
First rider off
#2 Posted : 07 February 2019 10:33:02(UTC)
First rider off

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 96 post(s)

Hi Coolie,

I am in the process of buying a 2.0l GT Sport Nav+ with Eternal Blue paintwork and the paint and leather protection pack from Philip Parker (Salesman) at David Hayton Southport (which to us, is the Midlands!). The retail list price for the car, options and accessories would be £26,644 and I am getting it for £23,000 which seems a fair deal. The car will be pre-registered but with 0 miles on the clock. I am not using PCP. The deal was initially instigated through Carwow and David Hayton's offer was by far the best. They also offered me a pretty good trade-in deal (far better than my local dealer) for my 2016 2.0l Sport Nav but I have had a slightly better offer from Roddisons at Sheffield who might be interested in your present car.

Edited by user 07 February 2019 17:13:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ND 2.0 Sport-Nav Blue Reflex with Sand Trim
Previous 2.0 Sport NC, Davrian Mk4, Four Triumph Spitfires & one MG Midget.
Drumtochty
#3 Posted : 07 February 2019 13:13:37(UTC)
Drumtochty

Was thanked: 639 time(s) in 588 post(s)

I got a SportNav+ GT in Soul Red with 700 miles on it for £22,300 and put around £5,000 down and the rest over 24 months on 0% finance.

I buy a car with this simple calc.

Up to 4 years old, assume selling at 10 years old assume £4k for the car at 10 years old.

I look at cost per year and unlike most people on the forum even with the original 2 litre ND engine, I preferred it. The new 2 litre engine is very nice.

The issue with a nice low mileage 2015 NC was the cost per year as they were very expensive and you had no warranty worth the money offered and as you say they were a bit less that mint with most of them needing a wheel refurb and a few panels needing sorted.

My demo car will cost £1,850 a year in depreciation and the NC with a wheel and panel refurb and costing the tire wear was in the region £1,800 a year with no real warranty.

A similar new 1.5 with full discount or a demonstrator will be say £1,700 a year in depreciation.

If I was less well off, I would buy a clean late 2012 car but I can afford the big hit on the ND.

My every day 4WD Subaru which is due to being changed in 2020 will be say 6 years old as they are a better deal at that age, as they are unloved in the secondhand market but great in the snowy part of Aberdeenshire we live in.

Edited by user 07 February 2019 13:17:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Laurencekirk,
Aberdeenshire
First rider off
#4 Posted : 07 February 2019 13:20:19(UTC)
First rider off

Man

Hi Drumtochy. Did your dealer offer you the 0% finance? It's a no brainer to take it if is offered 

Coolie
#5 Posted : 07 February 2019 14:09:12(UTC)
Coolie

I have been surprised how vanilla the sales approach is to the MX at the dealers.   I don't want to be treated special, but I haven't found anyone with a keen-ness / understanding of a third car / sports car owner - purchaser (which is what the MX is for us).

Let the fun begin...
IanH
#6 Posted : 07 February 2019 16:19:25(UTC)
IanH

Groups: AC, Administrators, ContentManagement, ForumModerator, OCACA_33, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 456 time(s) in 344 post(s)

Originally Posted by: First rider off Go to Quoted Post

Hi Drumtochy. Did your dealer offer you the 0% finance? It's a no brainer to take it if is offered 

I think it's a pretty frequent offer that Mazda have, I used it when I bought my ND in 2015.

Drumtochty
#7 Posted : 07 February 2019 17:25:01(UTC)
Drumtochty

No, the 0% finance that Mazda offered last year was on new cars, it was 50% up front and interest free over 2 years.

That was not available on a demonstrator.

Tha deal was more expensive than the PCP on a new car over 2 years with 0% as in my case the money would come out of an account that paid 4% interest and still does. The deposit was about 15%, also on a new car.

It was a dealer offer that was 0% interest HP an any used car that a demonstrator is classed as.

Seems daft not to use their money as in the end unless you are buying a a clean Mk1 you always end up loosing dosh on a car.

I have no interest in driving a Mk1 as they are not as good a tourer as the later car. Others think they are better, no right or wrong just spend your money the way you want to.

If a clean late MK3 was available at the correct price I may have gone for that. When you keep a car over the long term the economics are different to changing every two years.
Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
Aberdeenshire
Coolie
#8 Posted : 07 February 2019 22:11:58(UTC)
Coolie

some  used / early 1.5 NDs are coming down in price nicely, and plenty to choose from too.  im guessing this keeping new sales keen on finance offers etc.

its going to be a weekend of looking and weighing up for sure - the offers on our NC have been variable too, which is a factor 

If an ND 1.5 is out of warranty - bar is close by......... ;-)

is an SE-L on a 1.5 the best spec and ok without the Sport suspension?    from what ive seen, gearbox issues and rubbing roof on hoops are the issues to be looking for?

Let the fun begin...
Mad Malc
#9 Posted : 08 February 2019 09:04:42(UTC)
Mad Malc

Man

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 97 post(s)

Hi C,

"is an SE-L on a 1.5 the best spec and ok without the Sport suspension"  No 1.5 cars have the sports suspension. The none sport suspension is fine.

Do try both engines before you make a final decision.

Mad Malc by the sea in Filey with a Mk4 SE-L Nav 2.0 in Artic White
Countryboy
#10 Posted : 08 February 2019 12:41:45(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 428 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Mad Malc Go to Quoted Post

Hi C,

"is an SE-L on a 1.5 the best spec and ok without the Sport suspension"

No 1.5 cars have the sports suspension. The non sport suspension is fine.

Do try both engines before you make a final decision.

Very good advice from MM.  Take it!

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
Coolie
#11 Posted : 09 February 2019 20:44:56(UTC)
Coolie

.......an afternoon of car shopping!   Dear me, forgotten how hard work car swopping was, getting a straight answer out of dealers and then make decisions from there!!!

Test drove both the 1.5 and 2.0 (new).  The 2.0 definitely the 1 for us - so that was most useful to get cleared up.

Then were into SE-L or Sport Nav, we are ok wit the SE_L spec tbh, but really wanted the SCR colour - nothing doing, so Ceramic was the option in that model, or SCR was ava in Sport Nav no problem.   Still slight undecided, but thinking, given we are going 2.0, we might as well have the improved handling from the sport suspension / strut brace, and probably the Bose and Reverse sensors are advantage to us - the leather is less so important.

The final deals, so we are getting close to maxing out on discount i think - but its been hardwork.  Back tomorrow for a final push - we know they have a car in their stock, which is the 1 we want.

Happy with the interior compared to our NC, only really the cubby space will be loss (glovebox and door pockets) and the boot being small for euro tours and our le mans trip this year - we'll have to pack smaller pants :-)  

Let the fun begin...
Countryboy
#12 Posted : 09 February 2019 21:23:10(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 485 time(s) in 428 post(s)

Good luck for tomorrow!

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
Drumtochty
#13 Posted : 09 February 2019 23:45:08(UTC)
Drumtochty

I was going to get a 2 litre SEL but it does not have the City Braking that I decided was a good idea but as always something else to go wrong. It does have the seat heating.
Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
Aberdeenshire
Coolie
#14 Posted : 09 February 2019 23:53:32(UTC)
Coolie

we are struggling to decide between a Soul Red 2.0 Sport Nav or a Ceramic 2.0 SEL - thats the dilemma for us.

so Sports suspension or normal suspicion is probably the biggest mechanical difference between the two i guess - the rest is trim and options stuff

hmmmm

Let the fun begin...
RichardFX
#15 Posted : 10 February 2019 00:11:47(UTC)
RichardFX

Was thanked: 390 time(s) in 358 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Drumtochty Go to Quoted Post
I was going to get a 2 litre SEL but it does not have the City Braking that I decided was a good idea but as always something else to go wrong. It does have the seat heating.

I didn't know if our Mazda3 had the 'Smart City Brake Support' or not, until a pigeon flew almost right at us in a traffic jam just skimming the middle of the windscreen, and the car suddenly dropped anchor. It was a bit of a surprise, fortunately we were only doing a few mph in tick-over in 1st. 

When I then checked the brochure I found it was standard on all Mazda3 models.  It shares a lot with the MX5 so I suspect SCBS might well be on all the NDs as well.

2008 Niseko NC 2.0
2016 Mazda3 SE-L Nav 2.0
Drumtochty
#16 Posted : 10 February 2019 00:17:58(UTC)
Drumtochty

I did like like the ride of the SEL. Can I suggest that you take a tyre pressure guage with you and adjust both cars to the Mazda recommended pressure as they will probably be too high and check the ride on both.

My ND has the Bilstiens and every so often it hits the rear bumpstops that tends to make the ride on the back end hard for a moment.

When I got the NC sport at 11,500 miles the ride was harder than my 100k mile Mk2 but those dampers and springs would have sagged a bit on the MK2. It took a few thousand miles for the NC ride to soften as the suspenson bedded in.
Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
Aberdeenshire
Coolie
#17 Posted : 10 February 2019 17:23:26(UTC)
Coolie

Well - the deed is done

Zeb has been sold and Krystal has been purchased  -  delivery mid March.

Got a decent deal in the end on a Soul Red 2.0 Sport Nav.   Liked the handling of the Sport Nav, liked the ride on the SE_L.............., but certain equipment in the Sport Nav, better deal and no SE_L ava in Soul Red finalised the Sport decision.   Its gonna be a long wait for delivery tbh - but that's time to plan the first adventure.

For those with an ND, what is the general running advice????

Thanks following the thread, will introduce Krystal in mid March Cool 

Let the fun begin...
pmba
#18 Posted : 10 February 2019 17:29:10(UTC)
pmba

Congrats! Can't beat that new-car-anticipation feeling!
First rider off
#19 Posted : 11 February 2019 18:11:56(UTC)
First rider off

Man

Originally Posted by: Coolie Go to Quoted Post

Well - the deed is done

Zeb has been sold and Krystal has been purchased  -  delivery mid March.

Got a decent deal in the end on a Soul Red 2.0 Sport Nav.   Liked the handling of the Sport Nav, liked the ride on the SE_L.............., but certain equipment in the Sport Nav, better deal and no SE_L ava in Soul Red finalised the Sport decision.   Its gonna be a long wait for delivery tbh - but that's time to plan the first adventure.

For those with an ND, what is the general running advice????

Thanks following the thread, will introduce Krystal in mid March Cool 

Congrats on ordering your ND Coolie. You will love it. As for any general running advice I can't think of anything as my 2.0 Sport Nav ND has been perfect. The only thing that I have done (and will be doing on my new ND2), is to have the suspension lowered using the Mazda supplied Eibeach springs and have a full 4 wheel geometry alignment. The difference in ride between this and the standard Bilstein shocks equipped Sport Nav is not as great as the difference between the standard Sport Nav and the SE-L. However the handling (and appearance) is much improved.

Enjoy your car 

Edited by user 11 February 2019 18:13:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Coolie
#20 Posted : 12 February 2019 23:57:22(UTC)
Coolie

So the delivery date is set - 2nd March.  Which is the same date as our NC mot expires - perfect!

With a brand new soft-top, on day 1, so I need to proof the roof with fabrisil gold?

Let the fun begin...