Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Mc_Bonio
#1 Posted : 10 February 2019 17:19:45(UTC)
Mc_Bonio

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

Bought my first ever MX5 last weekend. A completely standard 1997 1.6 Monza in British racing Green! Really enjoying it so far, and I finally got time to give it a proper clean today! It came up well! 

I'm not sure what my plans are for it yet. Part of me wants to keep it standard, part of me wants to lower it on some nicer rims Tongue Out

Let me know what you think! 

F12NK R
#2 Posted : 10 February 2019 18:05:37(UTC)
F12NK R

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Hi that is a nice looking car, well done. I am a keeping it standard type of man, so personally I would keep everything standard. Some would say boring but I like them as they come out of the factory! Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.

Mk1 NA 1.6 1992 Eunos silver, standard ..... Apart from the front top suspension brace!
AndrewR
#3 Posted : 10 February 2019 19:20:16(UTC)
AndrewR

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Looks a really nice car - enjoy and happy motoring.
MX5 MK2.5 (2003) 1.8i Splash Green - Stainless dual exit exhaust, K&N filter and polished chrome style bars.
Jonny mx5
#4 Posted : 10 February 2019 19:35:45(UTC)
Jonny mx5

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Beautiful please leave 👍
tfrgreen
#5 Posted : 10 February 2019 19:59:32(UTC)
tfrgreen

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 40 post(s)

It depends on several factors. I,m nearly 60. I have a lowered Mk1 with a loud exhaust big wheels a big brake kit and a skimmed head, (thats me and the car). In my eyes it looks great. However despite cornering like a limpet it rides like a pig, especially two up. Every pot hole is a potential broken spine. I also know that I probably look a right tit in it.  I also have a standard Mk1 with no mods and an auto box. It’s glorious. Like driving a feather bed in comparison.  Unless you intend on using on track I would personally leave it alone. They are good standard, especially if they are in good order with correct alignment. 

On the other hand if you are a 17 year old yoof you might like to swap it for mine, I,m not sure my vertebrae can take much more 

1993 Eunos race car competing with no budget again in 2017 750 mc 5. Series. 1994 1.8 road car. All bling. 1991 1.6 Road car., totally original auto. Sheds of bits, probably enough to to make another.
 1 user thanked tfrgreen for this useful post.
Chillax on 11/02/2019(UTC)
Warbird
#6 Posted : 10 February 2019 20:27:44(UTC)
Warbird

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 67 post(s)

Nice motor I have a 1990 Eunos that I have done lots of work on keeping it in very good condition and have also changed lots of parts from standard but everything I have changed is just bolt on so because I have all the original parts kept safe I can return it to standard in a weekend.

I say do whatever you want to it as it's your car but keep it in good condition as they are going up in value if it's a good one.

And welcome to the club.

Tim

2014 mk3.75 2.0 ltr Sport Venture, Cobra Race back box
1990 mk1 1.6 Eunos.
Mc_Bonio
#7 Posted : 10 February 2019 20:51:04(UTC)
Mc_Bonio

Thanks for the kind replies everyone

I think if I do any mods, it will be reversible ones like wheels and some lowering springs. But for the time being it will be remaining standard as it's still early days. 

Here's another pic. I'm still amazed how well it shined up after some polish, wax and a few hours of time!

g0aku
#8 Posted : 11 February 2019 08:32:58(UTC)
g0aku

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 22 post(s)

Standard is my way, 13 years of sweet ownership used all year long, weekends to Scotland every year around North Wales at a drop of a hat, I live on the Wirral, enjoy , Rob.

Doug
#9 Posted : 11 February 2019 10:43:36(UTC)
Doug

Man

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 60 post(s)

Has the UK 4x4 stance. I'd lower it about 25-30mm - and leave the rest as is. Nice find

Doug Passell - Chesterfield

'91 Brilliant Black MX5 BBR Le Mans
'95 Vin Rouge Roadster VR A Limited
Chillax
#10 Posted : 11 February 2019 11:05:37(UTC)
Chillax

Man

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 38 post(s)

Welcome mate! That looks like a really tidy mk1 you picked up. One of the first ones I looked at was a mk1 Monza that had done apparently 31K and was mint..............went to see it and it drove like it had done 231k (no brakes, hardly any clutch and nothing worked!). And mint? Well, I suppose polo mints have holes..............this one had plenty that had had plates welded over (for welded, try glued into place). Was shockingly bad! Yours however does look mint!

Are you going to re-add the Monza graphics to the lower rear quarter panels (just behind the doors)? Mods wise, I too would keep the mods subtle (and reversible). I think Eibach springs for the mx5 get a good write up although I havent been in one that had them. Did go in one that had cheap ebay lowering springs and it was awful, so something to bear in mind. But yes, lower it a tad, stainless exhaust and jobs a good un!

Drives: Mk1 Mazda MX5 NA. Life is a journey best travelled with the top down! https://futureclassiccars.uk

Scottishfiver
#11 Posted : 11 February 2019 13:36:01(UTC)
Scottishfiver

Was thanked: 430 time(s) in 348 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Chillax Go to Quoted Post

Welcome mate! That looks like a really tidy mk1 you picked up. One of the first ones I looked at was a mk1 Monza that had done apparently 31K and was mint..............went to see it and it drove like it had done 231k (no brakes, hardly any clutch and nothing worked!). And mint? Well, I suppose polo mints have holes..............this one had plenty that had had plates welded over (for welded, try glued into place). Was shockingly bad! Yours however does look mint!

Are you going to re-add the Monza graphics to the lower rear quarter panels (just behind the doors)? Mods wise, I too would keep the mods subtle (and reversible). I think Eibach springs for the mx5 get a good write up although I havent been in one that had them. Did go in one that had cheap ebay lowering springs and it was awful, so something to bear in mind. But yes, lower it a tad, stainless exhaust and jobs a good un!

Pretty much a copy/paste of my thoughts.

Each their own, but I'd only add the way things seem to be going with genuine (?) solid & unmessed Mk1's, I'd err on reversible stuff.

If you do lower it a bit, and I agree it would look better if not drive better, I'd strongly advise a full laser alignment.....insofar a lot of an old 5's (like mine) speed is in the chassis.

Your car is a wee corker & what I aspire to with my BRG when it goes into the coachworks in a couple of weeks.

I doubt yours is the original Hiroshima paint...this is not a bad thing.

Mine is about to get it's third paint...well..most of it in my ownership of 15 years.

Be interested to know where you can get original laurel leaf graphics though......I never liked them much tbh!

S:

It may be a trick of the light...but I see evidence of minor paint distress on the leading edge of the nearside arch? If so, stand on little things like that pronto...it'll repay later. 

Ah...hold on.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-MONZA-Replica-Decals-Stickers-/112853149856

Edited by user 11 February 2019 13:48:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nickand jane
#12 Posted : 11 February 2019 16:50:48(UTC)
Nickand jane

Was thanked: 473 time(s) in 435 post(s)
Keep as it is, but get the hard top off.
The Captain - An MX5 Driver
NC ZSport - ObiWan - Radiant Ebony Mica - Larini
NC Sport - Belle - Winning Blue - Cobra Sport
Mc_Bonio
#13 Posted : 12 February 2019 20:15:42(UTC)
Mc_Bonio

Originally Posted by: g0aku Go to Quoted Post

Standard is my way, 13 years of sweet ownership used all year long, weekends to Scotland every year around North Wales at a drop of a hat, I live on the Wirral, enjoy , Rob.

Lovely looking car! What back box do you have? I'm based in North Yorkshire!

Originally Posted by: Doug Go to Quoted Post

Has the UK 4x4 stance. I'd lower it about 25-30mm - and leave the rest as is. Nice find

I think lowering a tad may be the first job... 

Originally Posted by: Chillax Go to Quoted Post

Thanks! This was actually the first one I looked at and couldn't see any reason not to buy it! It's not quite as perfect as the pics make it out to be, but I'd say it's a pretty good example. The rear wings have been replaced at somepoint and are a slightly different shade of green, but it's hard to tell. It drives very well and feels really solid. I'm sure it has been someones pride and joy in the past! The seller had it advertised for £1400.... I somehow managed to get him down to just over £900, so I'm happy!

Originally Posted by: Scottishfiver Go to Quoted Post

Pretty much a copy/paste of my thoughts.

Each their own, but I'd only add the way things seem to be going with genuine (?) solid & unmessed Mk1's, I'd err on reversible stuff.

If you do lower it a bit, and I agree it would look better if not drive better, I'd strongly advise a full laser alignment.....insofar a lot of an old 5's (like mine) speed is in the chassis.

Your car is a wee corker & what I aspire to with my BRG when it goes into the coachworks in a couple of weeks.

I doubt yours is the original Hiroshima paint...this is not a bad thing.

Mine is about to get it's third paint...well..most of it in my ownership of 15 years.

Be interested to know where you can get original laurel leaf graphics though......I never liked them much tbh!

S:

It may be a trick of the light...but I see evidence of minor paint distress on the leading edge of the nearside arch? If so, stand on little things like that pronto...it'll repay later. 

Ah...hold on.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-MONZA-Replica-Decals-Stickers-/112853149856

Thanks for the reply! I'm unsure about the Monza decals - I like the idea but I don't really like the design. So I'll think about it!

I'm not sure what to do about the rear wings. I'm going to get it on the ramps this week and have a proper poke around the sills and possibly get the arches sorted too. I may make a progress blog!

Scottishfiver
#14 Posted : 13 February 2019 10:15:23(UTC)
Scottishfiver

Was thanked: 430 time(s) in 348 post(s)

Quite.

Furthermore, I do not recall original graphics looking so Libarace gin palace glittery either.