Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Jarramag
#1 Posted : 10 February 2019 17:19:53(UTC)
Jarramag

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

i picked up my new 2019 2ltr sport nav+ yesterday and took it for a run out today. After an hour the engine seemed to be intermittently losing power under acceleration and the Rev counter was bouncing .  This happened a few times. Has anyone else experienced  anything similar?   

Ive bought it from a good dealer who immediately booked it in for a check up and gave me a courtesy car (Black rf). On another note this is the 3rd mx5 on my drive this weekend so that’ll confuse the neighbours

2019 grey metallic sport nav +
2016 Red Sport Recaro Ltd Edition No.216 - Sold Eunos Roadster N779 WPT - Sold
Coolie
#2 Posted : 10 February 2019 17:25:10(UTC)
Coolie

good luck with that m8, just placed an order for a new 1 today - keep us updated, be interested what this turns out to be

2007 Z-Sport (new to me Aug 2018, 2 owners and 31,250mls)

Let the fun begin...
andy1964
#3 Posted : 10 February 2019 18:31:34(UTC)
andy1964

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 45 post(s)

Sorry to hear about this Jarramag - as Coolie says, please do let us know what the problem turns out to be.

It does sound as if you have a good dealer - my current NC2 put its Engine Management Light on before I'd even got home on the day I picked it up (11 miles on the clock...) - the car was driving fine, but obviously not right.  Dealer was absolutely hopeless, ended up taking the car off me for 2 days with no offer of a courtesy car, when I pushed for one I was just told that none were available.  So I pointed out that they had a forecourt full of secondhand vehicles, any of which I'd be happy with & I then refused to leave the showroom - which concentrated their minds a little bit.  Ended up with the car I'd arrived in that morning & part-exchanged - then when I returned it they grumbled about the number of miles I'd covered while they fixed my brand new MX-5!

They also didn't bother to keep me informed as to progress, I had to keep ringing them; turned out to be a faulty EGR valve.  A vague offer of compensation was made but then not followed up & they weren't returning my calls, after 2 months of being mucked about I contacted Mazda - who, to their credit, sorted it very swiftly with a free first service from the supplying dealer.

2012 2.0 Sportech RC, Stormy Blue
Lives in Sheffield, UK
SLK User is suspended until 03/05/2027 20:56:14(UTC)
#4 Posted : 10 February 2019 19:11:57(UTC)
SLK

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

What is it with this MK4? Four generations of gear boxes since launch,reports of duff brake balance & uneven pad wear. Now 2019 engine issues! are they throwing this car together.Think id be handing the keys back and looking for a different brand.

Jarramag
#5 Posted : 10 February 2019 20:23:33(UTC)
Jarramag

Hi SLK

i can’t comment on other people’s nd4 problems but I can say the nd4 recaro  gave me no problems in the 3 years I owned it.  Hopefully the power issue on the new nd4 is a simple fix.  I’ll post an update when I get more information

graham

andy1964
#6 Posted : 10 February 2019 20:51:17(UTC)
andy1964

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 45 post(s)

Originally Posted by: SLK Go to Quoted Post

Now 2019 engine issues! are they throwing this car together.

Hi SLK - most likely I think that this is probably just a one off issue which Jarramag's been unfortunate to have with his car, rather than an indication of general poor 2019 ND build quality?

As per my post earlier today, I had a problem with my NC2 with only 11 miles on the clock but it's obvious that wasn't representative of the marque at all - I was just unlucky & my overall satisfaction's borne out by me still having the same car 7 years on.

Perhaps we should wait & see whether anybody else experiences a similar problem with the 2019 ND?

I do take your point re. the gearboxes though - 4 attempts to get them right does appear rather excessive!

2012 2.0 Sportech RC, Stormy Blue
Lives in Sheffield, UK
RichK
#7 Posted : 11 February 2019 09:15:25(UTC)
RichK

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

As you say to cannot write the ND of for what looks like an isolated component fault. My guess would be the coil pack maybe. 

ZSport Mk3 2007
RichardFX
#8 Posted : 11 February 2019 10:38:16(UTC)
RichardFX

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 390 time(s) in 358 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Jarramag Go to Quoted Post

i picked up my new 2019 2ltr sport nav+ yesterday and took it for a run out today. After an hour the engine seemed to be intermittently losing power under acceleration and the Rev counter was bouncing .  This happened a few times. Has anyone else experienced  anything similar?   

Ive bought it from a good dealer who immediately booked it in for a check up and gave me a courtesy car (Black rf). On another note this is the 3rd mx5 on my drive this weekend so that’ll confuse the neighbours

That sounds very much like a loose connection somewhere; perhaps a plug and socket not fully clicked home and now working loose.  This sort of thing is a typical new car fault that should have been picked up during production testing.  Once solved then the car should be good for many years. 

Take it back to the dealer!

If one studies the history of fault occurrence during the lifetime of a product, then across all production there is a fault vs age summary graph called the Bath-tub Curve.  Think of the cross-section of a bath long ways; the steep bit under the taps represents initial faults that happen in the first few weeks, mostly picked up during pre-sale testing and then falling away to none; then the flat floor of the bath is the years of normal life with almost no faults; then the slowly climbing rise of the curve, where one leans back and sleeps in the bath, is the rise of faults because of bits wearing out from old age or being broken.

All new cars are likely have something trivial not quite right, especially these days when the complexity is vast.  Every new car I've had needed something fixed; leaky headlight (Vectra), door seal not seated properly and therefore damaged (Astra), wiper blade vanishing into the storm (hired Audi in France, 2km on the clock), etc.  Best of all, back in the 1990s I took a friend to pick up his brand-new Jag and followed him home, only to have to rescue him when it simply stopped a couple of miles from the dealer and refused to go any further with the hazard lights flashing, implying he had stolen it (HR Owen needed to put it on a trailer to recover it).

2008 Niseko NC 2.0
2016 Mazda3 SE-L Nav 2.0
wipeout
#9 Posted : 11 February 2019 10:56:16(UTC)
wipeout

I think you've been very unlucky, my new MX-5 from last spring hasn't had any faults. I would put some pressure on the dealer and remind them you may reject the car and seek a full refund in the first 30 days if they don't facilitate a speedy repair, although it sounds like your dealer is helping. 

I've just rejected a new Volvo XC90. Four engine faults, three attempted fixes in it's first three months of ownership, amongst other issues. But you really don't want to go the rejection route if you can help it!

Edited by user 11 February 2019 10:57:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NickD
#10 Posted : 11 February 2019 11:52:09(UTC)
NickD

Was thanked: 472 time(s) in 362 post(s)

Originally Posted by: RichardFX Go to Quoted Post

That sounds very much like a loose connection somewhere; perhaps a plug and socket not fully clicked home and now working loose.  This sort of thing is a typical new car fault that should have been picked up during production testing.  Once solved then the car should be good for many years. 

If one studies the history of fault occurrence during the lifetime of a product, then across all production there is a fault vs age summary graph called the Bath-tub Curve.  Think of the cross-section of a bath long ways; the steep bit under the taps represents initial faults that happen in the first few weeks, mostly picked up during pre-sale testing and then falling away to none; then the flat floor of the bath is the years of normal life with almost no faults; then the slowly climbing rise of the curve, where one leans back and sleeps in the bath, is the rise of faults because of bits wearing out from old age or being broken.

All new cars are likely have something trivial not quite right, especially these days when the complexity is vast.  Every new car I've had needed something fixed; leaky headlight (Vectra), door seal not seated properly and therefore damaged (Astra), wiper blade vanishing into the storm (hired Audi in France, 2km on the clock), etc.  Best of all, back in the 1990s I took a friend to pick up his brand-new Jag and followed him home, only to have to rescue him when it simply stopped a couple of miles from the dealer and refused to go any further with the hazard lights flashing, implying he had stolen it (HR Owen needed to put it on a trailer to recover it).

I think you will find it is a Weibull Distrubution. In a different life I had dinner with him and his wife in Paris in 1997! 

Edited by user 11 February 2019 11:57:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RichardFX
#11 Posted : 11 February 2019 18:22:09(UTC)
RichardFX

Was thanked: 390 time(s) in 358 post(s)

Originally Posted by: NickD Go to Quoted Post

I think you will find it is a Weibull Distrubution. In a different life I had dinner with him and his wife in Paris in 1997!

Gosh, at 110 he must have been very old! His son perhaps?

The bathtub curve is a statistical combination of three different error probabilities: Infant mortality, random failure, wear-out failure.  I vaguely remember that use of Weibull's maths can apply more rigour to the the first and/or the third data sets, and also to the correspondence/departures of the whole data set (three parameter) to/from an expected or suggested bathtub distribution. 

However, my maths stopped being used some time ago, soon after Uni, so I have conveniently forgotten all the statistics I ever learnt, and just a few names shine dimly like dying coals catching a last few puffs of draft among the ashes.

Keeping it simple for most of us ,the bathtub curve is a lot easier to understand, and it is very relevant.  The Wiki does it nicely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

2008 Niseko NC 2.0
2016 Mazda3 SE-L Nav 2.0
Jarramag
#12 Posted : 11 February 2019 20:47:03(UTC)
Jarramag

Update:- the mechanics have taken the engine data from the car and sent a report to Mazda for analysis. Other than that they can’t see anything immediately wrong. Theyve also said it’s the first time they’ve heard of this issue being reported. I’ll update again when I get more info. 

Roadie
#13 Posted : 11 February 2019 22:20:01(UTC)
Roadie

Man

Was thanked: 520 time(s) in 423 post(s)

Update:- the mechanics have taken the engine data from the car and sent a report to Mazda for analysis. Other than that they can’t see anything immediately wrong. Theyve also said it’s the first time they’ve heard of this issue being reported. I’ll update again when I get more info. 

From the experience of most people here, whatever fault you report to whatever dealer it will always be the first time they have ever heard of the problem.

COG group member

Ex-Purveyor of ZSport badges to the gentry

Mk4 2.0 Sport Nav, Soul Red, Sand leather, Love it!
Mk3 2.0 ZSport, Beyoncé, Sold
Mk1 1.8 Merlot, Wino, Sold
Mk1 1.6 Eunos Classic Red, Roadie, Sold
 2 users thanked Roadie for this useful post.
Mad Malc on 12/02/2019(UTC), RJS463 on 14/02/2019(UTC)
IanH
#14 Posted : 12 February 2019 12:15:12(UTC)
IanH

Groups: AC, Administrators, ContentManagement, ForumModerator, OCACA_33, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 456 time(s) in 344 post(s)

I think it's all linked to your avatar picture being sideways... 

RichK
#15 Posted : 12 February 2019 12:43:29(UTC)
RichK

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

When you are up and running it would be good to know how it compares to your outgoing Recaro which is the model I'm considering.

ZSport Mk3 2007
Scottishfiver
#16 Posted : 12 February 2019 14:45:09(UTC)
Scottishfiver

Was thanked: 430 time(s) in 348 post(s)

Originally Posted by: IanH Go to Quoted Post

I think it's all linked to your avatar picture being sideways... 

Bl**dy sticky tyres though.

We should be told.

NickD
#17 Posted : 12 February 2019 17:48:26(UTC)
NickD

Was thanked: 472 time(s) in 362 post(s)

Originally Posted by: NickD Go to Quoted Post

Gosh, at 110 he must have been very old! His son perhaps?

The bathtub curve is a statistical combination of three different error probabilities: Infant mortality, random failure, wear-out failure.  I vaguely remember that use of Weibull's maths can apply more rigour to the the first and/or the third data sets, and also to the correspondence/departures of the whole data set (three parameter) to/from an expected or suggested bathtub distribution. 

However, my maths stopped being used some time ago, soon after Uni, so I have conveniently forgotten all the statistics I ever learnt, and just a few names shine dimly like dying coals catching a last few puffs of draft among the ashes.

Keeping it simple for most of us ,the bathtub curve is a lot easier to understand, and it is very relevant.  The Wiki does it nicely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

While somewhat of a distraction from the OP's post, Weibull in this context was being used in  warranty definitions and product design life. You are correct in that it is looking for failures from infant mortality through to end of life failure but this was very much more about that data allowing your products to be engineered for a specific life span and other consumable society issues. In a mature market, making a domestic mashing machine that lasts 15 years is over engineered and bad for business if you want to keep selling washing machines. (The Toyota Prius, being the first production hybird from Toyota is particularly over engineered and so if you want a long life car, get one of the first ones of them) An ideal product will survive it's design life and would ideally dissolve into it constituent elements very shortly after that. Things of course have different design lives. Your typical Black and Decker drill has a bearing life of around 5 hours. So from a firework, to a washing machine, a car, a truck to a super tanker, design lives vary. So Weibull is used to determine initial test procedure lengths, designed to capture infant mortality and preventable warranty claims through to knowing when your product is going to fail. If a washing machine's design life is 4 years, then selling an extended 2 year warranty to come after the first 12 months is a pretty safe bet. If the machine last 10 years then it firstly could have been made cheaper and secondly you don't get to sell a new machine. (Hotpoint, who were in the forefront of pre-painted sheet technology in the 80's and 90's knew exactly when they would expect their machine cabinets to start rusting) 

Anyway, to the OP, the issue is most likely to be an electronic component drifting out of tolerance and giving duff data rather than anything serious, which is what the warranty is about. As far as washing machines go, if you have one that is 5 years old and something breaks, it will be cheaper and quicker to get a new one because it is unlikely that the design engineer won't have done their job very well. 

2 users thanked NickD for this useful post.
Roadie on 12/02/2019(UTC), RichardFX on 12/02/2019(UTC)
Roadie
#18 Posted : 12 February 2019 18:46:27(UTC)
Roadie

Man

Was thanked: 520 time(s) in 423 post(s)

Anybody got a Kirby vacuum cleaner? They seem to have a different way of doing things. Ridiculously over engineered and repairable. They make their profits by charging ludicrously high prices to purchase. Ours is around 40 years old and still going strong. Virtually all the parts are still available and you can fix them with basic hand tools. Sister in law has one of a similar age and she is OCD enough to use it every day.

COG group member

Ex-Purveyor of ZSport badges to the gentry

Mk4 2.0 Sport Nav, Soul Red, Sand leather, Love it!
Mk3 2.0 ZSport, Beyoncé, Sold
Mk1 1.8 Merlot, Wino, Sold
Mk1 1.6 Eunos Classic Red, Roadie, Sold
First rider off
#19 Posted : 12 February 2019 19:47:46(UTC)
First rider off

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 96 post(s)

Bit of a long shot this......but could the Speed Limiter possibly be set at a ridiculously low speed or even be faulty. There is an audible speed warning that can be set, but there is also a speed limiter that can be set by the user. It is hard to say because the OP does not state the actual conditions at which the fault occurs (load, speed, rpm or totally random).

ND 2.0 Sport-Nav Blue Reflex with Sand Trim
Previous 2.0 Sport NC, Davrian Mk4, Four Triumph Spitfires & one MG Midget.
Jarramag
#20 Posted : 12 February 2019 21:02:29(UTC)
Jarramag

Hi first rider off

i first noticed the fault going up a fairly shallow incline slip road. Accelerating in 2nd and 3es gear. Revs relatively low around 3-4K. There was a distinct interruption in power and the Rev counter was bouncing up and down - like it was flicking between revs if you know what I mean. Way faster than I think I could make it do by accelerating, braking heavily then accelerating hard again. 

I haven’t had an update today but I’ll keep updating when I get further information. Thanks everyone for the input  

cheers

graham