Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

hz123
#1 Posted : 13 March 2019 17:18:04(UTC)
hz123

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I have searched without finding any results.  We are considering the above change, this would also probably mean going from the 1.5 to the 2.0.

Apart from the obvious roof change/larger engine, have any fellow threaders any views.  I am sure others have made the change.  I am looking for some real positives otherwise it may well be back to an MB SLK/SLC.  I regret that having had an SLK before the ND the space and the quality of the latter far exceeds our ND and personally I do not see anything much to gain by changing to an RF?

I am sure that there will be a good response.      

IanH
#2 Posted : 13 March 2019 17:29:36(UTC)
IanH

Groups: AC, Administrators, ContentManagement, ForumModerator, OCACA_33, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 478 time(s) in 363 post(s)

MX-5 ND RF vs MX-5 ND ST?

Mad Malc
#3 Posted : 13 March 2019 18:03:59(UTC)
Mad Malc

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 108 post(s)

You want and need to buy the Merc or you will not be happy. 

Mad Malc by the sea in Filey with a Mk4 SE-L Nav 2.0 in Artic White
Countryboy
#4 Posted : 13 March 2019 18:21:44(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 451 post(s)

Originally Posted by: hz123 Go to Quoted Post

Apart from the obvious roof change/larger engine, have any fellow threaders any views.  I am sure others have made the change.  I am looking for some real positives otherwise it may well be back to an MB SLK/SLC.  I regret that having had an SLK before the ND the space and the quality of the latter far exceeds our ND and personally I do not see anything much to gain by changing to an RF.

You're right, switching to the RF will make no appreciable difference in "space an quality", the Mazda and the Merc are as different as chalk and cheese.  I think that Mad Malc has hit the nail firmly on the head.

Edited by user 13 March 2019 18:28:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
phil.a
#5 Posted : 13 March 2019 18:23:56(UTC)
phil.a

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

it sounds like you have made your mind up MB....2 DIFFRENT CARS depends what you are after MB cruiser MX5 FUN CAR....my brother in law had a MB 380SL I got my RF both went to a cars and coffee my car was like bees round honey his lonley ...to be fair I would rather people were round his I get paronid when people get to close to mine

GarethC
#6 Posted : 13 March 2019 18:23:56(UTC)
GarethC

Man

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)

I kind of agree with above, having come from an E-Class into my ND ST I know what a well put together German car feels like and the ND certainly doesn't compare.  It is however used in a completely different way from how I used the E-Class (hence the radical change) but I wanted a weekend toy / garage queen to modify, polish & enjoy.  

I can easily see how if I had to live with the car on a daily basis it could get annoying and I'd rather be in something a bit more put together and laid back, but the ND's interior has come on leaps and bounds from the previous generations. 

Drumtochty
#7 Posted : 14 March 2019 08:52:51(UTC)
Drumtochty

Was thanked: 658 time(s) in 603 post(s)
Interesting that the news from Germany is that both the Audi TT and Mercedes SLC that replaced the SLK some years ago will not be replaced.

This is due to the manufacturer finding that neither cars have the sales revenue to cover new model development costs when the requirement for capital to be spent on electrification and replacing models selling in larger numbers, make these cars uneconomic to replace.

I wonder, taking this into consideration that Mazda may look at any future MX5 in this case, the NE, if it too has many demands on it's own capital resources.
Eddie Cairns

99 Mk2 1.8IS
08 Mk3 2.0 Sport RC sold
18 Mk4 2.0 GT+
Drumtochty Glen, Auchenblae, Laurencekirk,
Aberdeenshire
Thatbeetle
#8 Posted : 14 March 2019 09:22:37(UTC)
Thatbeetle

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Originally Posted by: GarethC Go to Quoted Post

I kind of agree with above, having come from an E-Class into my ND ST I know what a well put together German car feels like and the ND certainly doesn't compare.  It is however used in a completely different way from how I used the E-Class (hence the radical change) but I wanted a weekend toy / garage queen to modify, polish & enjoy.  

I can easily see how if I had to live with the car on a daily basis it could get annoying and I'd rather be in something a bit more put together and laid back, but the ND's interior has come on leaps and bounds from the previous generations. 

Kind of have to agree with this. I've ended up at an ND after having various german cars and the interior really doesn't compare, it is on the small side interior wise and not the quietest when cruising roof up or down and my car has a couple of small rattles i have to track down. But this is very nit-picky if i'm honest. 

That said though it's well enough screwed together to live with on a daily basis (i drive mainly daily to work and back), has all the modern amenities and it does feel special every time you get in. Mine averages over 32mpg when doing the crawl to work and back through London so it's not juicy either. But the big bonus is it makes you smile and people don't ever get angry at an MX5, drive a Porsche for a while and you soon see the worse side of other drivers. 

Edited by user 14 March 2019 09:23:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified