Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Hien
#1 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:06:23(UTC)
Hien

Groups: OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Having recently replaced my 16 year old car with a more tech advanced car, I'm starting to question certain design choices. What gets your goat?

1. Keyless entry AND keyless start --> relay theft

2. Electronic hand brakes

3. Gazillion position electronic seat adjustments

4. Stop Start --> I drive onto my drive, apply breaks to a stop, engine turns off thinking I'm stopped at traffic lights. I pull the electronic handbrake and the engine comes on. Then push the Stop button and the engine turns off.

5. Auto High Beam --> works most of the time but certain situations it doesn't then you end up trying to figure out how to turn the damn thing off.

2007 MK3 ZSport
oyster town
#2 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:16:23(UTC)
oyster town

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I think I am correct in saying some of these features can be switched off, although each time you start a new journey?
ND Sport Nav 184 ps Eternal blue. Previously NC Venture edition 1.8 then ND Sport nav 1.5 Blue Reflex
Hien
#3 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:26:21(UTC)
Hien

Originally Posted by: oyster town Go to Quoted Post
I think I am correct in saying some of these features can be switched off, although each time you start a new journey?

Yes some of these you can temporarily disable per journey, like the Stop Start. With Auto High Beam if you push on the lever for too long it activates. Then you need to pull it forward - like a temporary flash - to deactivate. There's been a few times where I noticed the Auto High Beam feature wasn't working and the oncoming car was being blinded. In trying to turn it off I had to flash the oncoming car!

2007 MK3 ZSport
RichardFX
#4 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:28:58(UTC)
RichardFX

Was thanked: 402 time(s) in 370 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Hien Go to Quoted Post

Having recently replaced my 16 year old car with a more tech advanced car, I'm starting to question certain design choices. What gets your goat?

1. Keyless entry AND keyless start --> relay theft

2. Electronic hand brakes

3. Gazillion position electronic seat adjustments

4. Stop Start --> I drive onto my drive, apply breaks to a stop, engine turns off thinking I'm stopped at traffic lights. I pull the electronic handbrake and the engine comes on. Then push the Stop button and the engine turns off.

5. Auto High Beam --> works most of the time but certain situations it doesn't then you end up trying to figure out how to turn the damn thing off.

All of the above, especially the e-handbrake that fails to hold overnight on a hill, plus

Auto headlight switch on/off (often too late or inappropriate, several different cars including my Mazda3)

Useless expensive obstructive built-in satnav, eg my Mazda3 (especially when compared with Tomtom or Garmin standalone which are intuitive in use and come with free lifetime maps and real-time traffic info)

Stupid lane departure complaining about changing lanes, despite having indicated in good time (several hire cars)

Emergency traffic braking coming on seemingly randomly, regardless of traffic speed and despite having a good distance to the car in front (two different recent hire cars Peugeot, Audi, on the continent)

Useless brakes, either try to chuck you through the windscreen when cold or fade away to nothing in a genuine emergency stop (two different hired Renaults - never again)

But most useful feature that I never expected to enjoy:

Clever climate control (passenger and driver have different zones, and front and rear demist is smart)

2008 Niseko NC 2.0
2016 Mazda3 SE-L Nav 2.0
GMC92
#5 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:30:28(UTC)
GMC92

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Keyless entry is nice however i dont think its secure enough.

stop start is turned off every time i get in.

electric handbrake is fine as it comes on when ignition turns off and releases when i pull away.

had auto high beam previously and i thinks its Sh**

i do like the customisable driving profiles.

Digi dash is the best thing ever, especially with full sat nav option and Single rev counter for those moments of madness

Daily - MY19 Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG in Magnetic Grey

Sunny days: 2008 PRHT 2.0 Sport in True Red
Hien
#6 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:40:32(UTC)
Hien

In the current weather condition and my short distance journeys - the Stop Start function in my car never comes on - unless I've been driving for a while so forget about it until I park on the drive 

Looking forward to the summer to try out the vented/cooling seats. But looking more so since I can have the top down in the MX-5   

2007 MK3 ZSport
Countryboy
#7 Posted : 14 March 2019 15:41:18(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 451 post(s)

Add to the list any system that introduces unnecessary engine/induction/exhaust "burping and farting" noises into the cabin! Is that why you need an 11+ speaker hi-fi system, to drown it out?  Pointless!

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
GMC92
#8 Posted : 14 March 2019 16:03:10(UTC)
GMC92

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Countryboy Go to Quoted Post

Add to the list any system that introduces unnecessary engine/induction/exhaust "burping and farting" noises into the cabin! Is that why you need an 11+ speaker hi-fi system, to drown it out?  Pointless!

Cant beat the extra noise and a naughty DSG Fart!

Daily - MY19 Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG in Magnetic Grey

Sunny days: 2008 PRHT 2.0 Sport in True Red
Countryboy
#9 Posted : 14 March 2019 16:09:57(UTC)
Countryboy

Man

Was thanked: 511 time(s) in 451 post(s)

Originally Posted by: GMC92 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Countryboy Go to Quoted Post

Cant beat the extra noise and a naughty DSG Fart!

You can, with noise reduction, especially when you suffer from hearing problems, especially tinnitus!

Edited by user 14 March 2019 16:18:24(UTC)  | Reason: correction of text

COG group member

Soul Red 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav. Bog standard! But still fun!!

Don't take my post as a personal attack, it's not! Just sound advice stupid!

Old enough to know better! Too old to change!!
DonkeyKong
#10 Posted : 14 March 2019 17:16:11(UTC)
DonkeyKong

Man

Most warning beeps.
ND passenger airbag light.
Doug
#11 Posted : 14 March 2019 17:58:15(UTC)
Doug

Man

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 61 post(s)

That all the gadgets still don't make for better drivers. In fact the indicators still need driver input. - but do they get it? NO!

Edited by user 14 March 2019 18:11:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Doug Passell - Chesterfield

'91 Brilliant Black MX5 BBR Le Mans
'95 Vin Rouge Roadster VR A Limited
Bettabuilda
#12 Posted : 14 March 2019 19:10:24(UTC)
Bettabuilda

Was thanked: 365 time(s) in 305 post(s)

The mass of black plastic engine covers under the bonnet! Do not like that at all  my mk1's you could polish away to your hearts content 

Barrie

COG group member

2007 NC1 1800GT 1st place lightly modified 2018 Spring Rally Goodwood SOLD

'91 Eunos, classic red, 2nd place in modified mk1 at 2015 Spring Rally Oulton Park. SOLD
 1 user thanked Bettabuilda for this useful post.
safetymatch on 15/03/2019(UTC)
safetymatch
#13 Posted : 15 March 2019 22:58:05(UTC)
safetymatch

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 222 post(s)
Wouldn't know, we have my son and myself a 12year old MX5, a 14 year old Jimny, a 14 year old Celica, a 6 year old Nissan Primastar van and a five year old Vauxhall combo van.

My days of 'keeping up with the Jones's are well and truly over with and every one apart from my company van are paid for (in cash).
Marble White icon
Stainless quad tipped exhaust, Lowered, 17" RS alloys, K+N filter and a few shiny bits
BLYTON stickered,i'm a record breaker!
GPS tracker fitted
Lang'd to WIM spec's
Ex 2.5vvt sport
Stebel horn
Vented bonnet
Winner MK3 lightly modified, Kelmarsh Hall 6.9.2015.
Suzuki Jimny,fun!
 1 user thanked safetymatch for this useful post.
Bettabuilda on 16/03/2019(UTC)
Rubberduck
#14 Posted : 16 March 2019 00:36:45(UTC)
Rubberduck

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Easiest way to not have stop start keep engaging is to not put the car in neutral, simples.

And if you drive auto? Well the hell that is stop start is the price you pay for ticking that box when speccing your car.
Gerryn
#15 Posted : 16 March 2019 01:28:39(UTC)
Gerryn

Man

Was thanked: 510 time(s) in 435 post(s)
Initially - Blame the guys at Bell Labs, who first invented solid state. From that point on, everything went downhill. I've been going on about technology for several years, and in particular AI, the new threat to normal life as we all knew it. Biggest problem is it's ability to do anything you ask of it, so where it's applied, it's so easy to take it to the limit of the programmers ability to make it (apparently) do things better. - It doesn't. Witness the current crisis - for Boeing - where programmers thought they could fly a 737Max better than pilots could fly it, end result, hundreds of lives lost.

We are about to be besieged with self drive cars, (Computers are safer and better than the human brain), domestic appliances that communicate with the factory, reporting your daily usage and what you use them for, Ships that use computers to control them, and planes that apparently are safer to fly than mere trained and experienced pilots. - All programed by human beings who think they know everything about using and applying them to everyday life.

For anyone over 50,anything you thought you knew about electrics, mechanics and the ability of the human brain to use anything produced using now dead technology (the precursor to solid state) Then your life is over, the future beckons. God help the human race - it knows not what it does.

Anyone who tells you (or tried to tell you) that the future will be bright and rosy, has neither studied history, or human evolution, who would have advanced without the aid of technology as we know it today, we would have got there eventually through human endeavour, not because someone in Silicon Valley thinks they know better. - Why are they so concerned about technical revolution? - Profit and money, what else is the real driving force in this world? Do they really think they are helping the human rae to go forward? - NO - they are more concerned about wealth and power.

Ultimately - where will we go? B***dy Good question, who knows? I can visualize so many things where life (as we knew it) will change drastically in the future, but then I do have an active imagination. That being so - Beware! Scoff if you must, but you are ignoring reality, and I don't mean Virtual Reality either.
Far better men have said the same, the late Stephen Hawking was just one of several. - He was ignored too.

'Five is Alive' Formerly 2002 Mk2.5 Sport- now sold.
 2 users thanked Gerryn for this useful post.
Countryboy on 16/03/2019(UTC), First rider off on 19/03/2019(UTC)
John Aston
#16 Posted : 16 March 2019 08:04:39(UTC)
John Aston

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Well, you can moan all you like about First World irritations in the modern car but I am happier to put up with them than the shortcomings of teh cars I drove back in the day -such as

- cold starts being more of a negotiation than a formality
- ditto hot starts
- knackered synchromesh on 3 year old cars
- useless , lock prone brakes
- rubbish ICE
- rubbish heating and ventilation
- comically low levels of grip
- appalling NVH at speed
- overheating common in traffic and /or motorway cruising
- rubbish economy and glacial performance

..and the rest
 1 user thanked John Aston for this useful post.
H1S VRB on 16/03/2019(UTC)
Roadster Robbie
#17 Posted : 16 March 2019 08:13:36(UTC)
Roadster Robbie

Groups: Administrators, OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 728 time(s) in 689 post(s)

I love and embrace the tech offered by modern cars. They are drivers aids and I adjust my driving to work with them.

Disclaimer

Any work you do to your car is entirely your own responsibility. If in doubt, you should check technical advice with an independent , qualified person who has seen your car. Any advice or information given or inferred in this post is the opinion of the author or the MX-5 Owners Club and not that of Mazda Motors UK (MMUK)

mx5eastern.co.uk - havemorefun.co.uk - merlotmotorsport.co.uk - roadsterrobbie.com

NA: RS Limited (Special car)
NA: Project Merlot (Track car)
ND: 2.0 litre Sport Nav (on order)
Rubberduck
#18 Posted : 16 March 2019 08:46:44(UTC)
Rubberduck

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Letโ€™s go back to starting handles, no heating, and suspension more suited to an ox cart๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„
NickD
#19 Posted : 16 March 2019 08:49:49(UTC)
NickD

Was thanked: 494 time(s) in 373 post(s)

https://youtu.be/PGMUGjlV5HU 

1 user thanked NickD for this useful post.
RichardFX on 16/03/2019(UTC)
Paul W
#20 Posted : 16 March 2019 09:45:29(UTC)
Paul W

Man

Was thanked: 183 time(s) in 172 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Rubberduck Go to Quoted Post
Let’s go back to starting handles, no heating, and suspension more suited to an ox cart๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ™„

Now when I were a lad....

Mk2 1.8i, built Jan 1998.
 1 user thanked Paul W for this useful post.
Countryboy on 16/03/2019(UTC)