Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Cerberus
#41 Posted : 12 November 2013 09:07:38(UTC)
Cerberus

Groups: AC, OCACA_8, OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 34 post(s)

Originally Posted by: iainf Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Cerberus Go to Quoted Post

Unique, local, MK1........ Is it me? Surprised

Would the kindly souls in the Classic community cope? Wink

Are you coming by? Be good to try and grab some time if you are

LoL good point!

Yes I'll be popping along. Not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday. Will swing by for a natter ;)

Andrew Stott
#42 Posted : 14 November 2013 12:44:11(UTC)
Andrew Stott

Groups: OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I'll be coming along to the show tomorrow, I'll look out for the stand and will say hello.

Any idea why the club discount on tickets can't be had on the Friday?  

martin
#43 Posted : 14 November 2013 19:38:48(UTC)
martin

Groups: Administrators, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 356 time(s) in 266 post(s)
stand set up and ready to go for tomorrow
martin

MX5OC Chairman (...)

GB IRL F B MC I CH FL D AND E NL L

Robfo
#44 Posted : 15 November 2013 20:01:53(UTC)
Robfo

Groups: Registered

Just got back from the show. I'd recommend it to anyone whos interested in cars and classics, Some amazing cars!

I had a good look around the club stand and the four cars showed a good mix of what i'd expect from a large and varied club. The black mk1 track car showed that we can do motorsport on a budget (that is in no way a negative, personally thats what i love about the mx5), Rodders race car was awesome as usual. I dont want to upset anyone but the 2 road cars could have been presented so much better. I'm sure all the cars were in tip top mechanical condition but the paint presentation was poor on the road cars. The mk2 was good for a daily driver but the Mk1 Vspec needed a really good polish. Maybe it was the harsh lighting or my slight over enthusiasm for paint correction.

I'm sorry to be negative because i was really looking forward to seeing the stand but i came away dissapointed that the road cars looked a little unloved in the paint department.

Being honest lots of the cars on lots of the stands had me cursing inside my head at the fact they looked like they had just been through a carwash/hedge.

<a href="http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/51741.aspx" style="color:#2a4aeb;font-size:14px;font-family:Times New Roman;" target="_blank">1992 Mariner Blue 1600 import build thread</a>
2001 BMW 330ci
peleton72
#45 Posted : 15 November 2013 20:41:10(UTC)
peleton72

Groups: ForumModerator, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 19 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Robfo Go to Quoted Post

Just got back from the show. I'd recommend it to anyone whos interested in cars and classics, Some amazing cars!

I had a good look around the club stand and the four cars showed a good mix of what i'd expect from a large and varied club. The black mk1 track car showed that we can do motorsport on a budget (that is in no way a negative, personally thats what i love about the mx5), Rodders race car was awesome as usual. I dont want to upset anyone but the 2 road cars could have been presented so much better. I'm sure all the cars were in tip top mechanical condition but the paint presentation was poor on the road cars. The mk2 was good for a daily driver but the Mk1 Vspec needed a really good polish. Maybe it was the harsh lighting or my slight over enthusiasm for paint correction.

I'm sorry to be negative because i was really looking forward to seeing the stand but i came away dissapointed that the road cars looked a little unloved in the paint department.

Being honest lots of the cars on lots of the stands had me cursing inside my head at the fact they looked like they had just been through a carwash/hedge.

The lights at the NEC are particularly punishing to paintwork inperfections.

As someone who put his (admittedly) scruffy Mk 1 on the stand a few years ago, even I had to give mine a bit of TLC just to make it barely presentable. It looked awful!

The very best of British to all those giving up their time and energy to host those visiting our Club stand.

See you all in the morning, well, early afternoon...

Cool

Found lurking under a bonnet @TWP_Racing
Own: Transit van race weekend workhorse, Mazda 3 Fastback daily driver, MX-5 Mk1 & Mk3 endurance race cars, building the worlds first Alfa Romeo (soz) 159 diesel endurance race car
martin
#46 Posted : 15 November 2013 20:46:49(UTC)
martin

Was thanked: 356 time(s) in 266 post(s)
The lighting in the nec is about as bad as you can get for showing up paint swirls we've spotted a few here with perfect paint but few and far between and probably didn't get driven here glad you enjoyed the event though it is a fantastic show but I think this club holds its own. So many people come along enthusiastic about the car we all love
martin

MX5OC Chairman (...)

GB IRL F B MC I CH FL D AND E NL L

Cerberus
#47 Posted : 15 November 2013 21:26:39(UTC)
Cerberus

Groups: AC, OCACA_8, OCMember, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 34 post(s)
The mk2 wasgood for a daily driver but the Mk1 Vspec needed a really good polish. Maybe it was the harsh lighting or my slight over enthusiasm for paint correction.
I'm sorry to be negative because i was really looking forward to seeing the stand but i came awaydissapointed that the road cars looked a little unloved in the paint department.

Is this a serious post? It might be some sort of sarcasm based joke that I don't get? Because my jaw just hit the floor. You cannot possibly be serious?

If you are serious. I really hope you aren't. But I suppose there must be people that mean spirited and miserable in the world. If you are serious, I have the perfect solution......

Next year volunteer your time to paint correct and polish the cars that members bravely volunteer for the stand. Rather than sitting on the sidelines picking ridiculous fault.

Sorted.
bikemad99
#48 Posted : 16 November 2013 22:18:03(UTC)
bikemad99

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Cerberus Go to Quoted Post
The mk2 wasgood for a daily driver but the Mk1 Vspec needed a really good polish. Maybe it was the harsh lighting or my slight over enthusiasm for paint correction.
I'm sorry to be negative because i was really looking forward to seeing the stand but i came awaydissapointed that the road cars looked a little unloved in the paint department.

Is this a serious post? It might be some sort of sarcasm based joke that I don't get? Because my jaw just hit the floor. You cannot possibly be serious?

If you are serious. I really hope you aren't. But I suppose there must be people that mean spirited and miserable in the world. If you are serious, I have the perfect solution......

Next year volunteer your time to paint correct and polish the cars that members bravely volunteer for the stand. Rather than sitting on the sidelines picking ridiculous fault.

Sorted.

Here we go again,someone with a genuine opinion is ridiculed by one of the self important bullies of the so called members club.I have been, along with several other members,to the show today and we all aggreed the MX5 owners club stand was very poor with scruffy dirty cars on.The rest of the show was superb and a great day out. Were there different lights above the MX5 stand,as a lot of much older cars of other makes looked perfect under their lights.

Reg. 

Reg
Robfo
#49 Posted : 17 November 2013 13:34:46(UTC)
Robfo

Cerberus, i was being serious. I didnt say the car's were wrecks as you seem to have read it. I just gave my opinion that the road cars could have been presented better. If my car had been on the stand i would have done my best to present it in a way that i thought was fitting at a classic car show. My car is in no way a concourse car, its a road car that is used hard on the track when i get the chance. Despite that, the paintwork is in as good a condition as is possible without a respray, using the limited knowledge and tools at my disposal.

I'm not trying to slag anyone off. Infact if you read my post i think it would be obvious that i was being positive about the club stand as a whole.

Like i said before i thought the OC stand had a good mix of cars showing exactly how versatile the mx5 can be. From a full on racecar, to a track car and two examples of road cars. My opinion was that the road cars could have been presented in better conditions as classics at a classic car show.

By no means were the mx5's the worst presented cars at the show, i was amazed at the state of the Rover 200 BRM's, some of them genuinely looked like they had been washed with a scrubbing pad.  

Edited by user 17 November 2013 13:36:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

<a href="http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/51741.aspx" style="color:#2a4aeb;font-size:14px;font-family:Times New Roman;" target="_blank">1992 Mariner Blue 1600 import build thread</a>
2001 BMW 330ci
Speedy aka Ian
#50 Posted : 17 November 2013 16:35:40(UTC)
Speedy aka Ian

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 73 post(s)

Like i said before i thought the OC stand had a good mix of cars showing exactly how versatile the mx5 can be. From a full on racecar, to a track car and two examples of road cars. My opinion was that the road cars could have been presented in better conditions as classics at a classic car show.

Nothing wrong with the lights at the NEC they have always been awful as far as I can remember at showing imperfections in paintwork, the club have always known there is very poor lighting, some stands provide lighting for the cars on display not just the stand itself.

There is no excuse either for swirly paintwork. It isn't that difficult to correct a poor car and keep it that way whether it is driven to an event or not. A good education on the washing routine is all that is required after paint correction and protective products applied.

From all the membership it surely cannot be that difficult to have some good clean detailed cars on display at the clubs annual showcase event.

1st 'Modified Class' Bristol Spring Rally 2017
2nd Weston Park extravaganza April 2017
1st 'Modern Classic' Stafford Castle Classic Show July 2018
3rd 'Best Japanese Classic' Tatton Park Aug 18
1st Modified Class Ragley Hall SEP 18

jaguarjack
#51 Posted : 17 November 2013 18:47:47(UTC)
jaguarjack

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)

I don't know why as a club we just don't bother entering or doing anything in future as it seems these days that everything some poor soul does is dissected and criticised!

If i had taken time off work to get my car to the NEC and then wash and polish it, not being a proffesional detailer just for a club member to stroll by the stand and play at concourse judge. I would be a bit miffed to say the least!!

I had friends who had cars on the Singer owners stand, Vanden Plas stand and Morris club display and if you mentioned paint swirls and pristine vehicles to them they would laugh at you and tell you to get a grip!

We are there to admire our heritage not a show and shine competition

Think yourselves lucky that as a club we were there at all!!!

bikemad99
#52 Posted : 17 November 2013 19:32:53(UTC)
bikemad99

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Originally Posted by: jaguarjack Go to Quoted Post

I don't know why as a club we just don't bother entering or doing anything in future as it seems these days that everything some poor soul does is dissected and criticised!

If i had taken time off work to get my car to the NEC and then wash and polish it, not being a proffesional detailer just for a club member to stroll by the stand and play at concourse judge. I would be a bit miffed to say the least!!

I had friends who had cars on the Singer owners stand, Vanden Plas stand and Morris club display and if you mentioned paint swirls and pristine vehicles to them they would laugh at you and tell you to get a grip!

We are there to admire our heritage not a show and shine competition

Think yourselves lucky that as a club we were there at all!!!

Why should we feel lucky? What benefit to ordinary members is having a stand at a show? Were any of the superb cars that entered the competitions at Sandringham show invited to attend? If not,why not? We ,as members know how good our cars are,should we not be trying to impress non owners?

What are the reasons for having a stand,and is there any expence to the club by being there?

Reg.

Reg
saz9961
#53 Posted : 17 November 2013 21:15:13(UTC)
saz9961

Groups: ForumModerator, OCMember, Registered

Was thanked: 600 time(s) in 539 post(s)

I suppose the benefit to the MX5 Owners Club is the same as for every club that exhibits at the NEC; increased public exposure for their clubs, raising the profile of their marque in general, and their club in particular, with the possible benefit of increasing membership as a result. I suppose if no car club bothered to exhibit at this event, or any public event, for financial or other reasons, these events would not happen, or they will be very dull trade shows. I rather enjoyed the content of all the car club stands, even the Lamborghini club, where it seemed half the cars didn't bother showing. I enjoy the nature of these British classic car shows, because they show real cars that are being really enjoyed, and used. I'd shudder to think what a dull event this would be if this were to become some sort of concours-only, indoor Pebble Beach type event, Brummie style, where the exhibitors' car-park is full of trailers, because nothing is actually driven to the event. This is a egalitarian show for the classic car owners and non-classic car owners to all enjoy, and I like it that, for the most part, the cars aren't stuck behind rope, and inaccessible to the public. I appreciate and applaud the efforts of every single owner exhibiting at that show. Its a hell of a commitment on their part; not only the effort of preparing their car, but the inconvenience of 3, or maybe 4 days without their cars, and having the good nature to talk to members of the public for 3 days solid. Its sad that they have to face such opprobrium post event. The only critique I would have of the event, and this is not aimed at the clubs but the show organisers, Clarion Events, is the layout this year, with the bike show in the middle, splitting the car show, and some car clubs, including the MX5OC, being shoved in amongst the trade stands. Oh, and the trader who was trying to sell a Gates MX5 model for £80..... Plus some car clubs were entering cars of questionable classic status (especially some Audis....what, no Audi 60s?). Personally, I did well, finally getting hold of some double spring Butler switches, organising a matched colour dye kit from Furniture Clinic, some good match red vinyl and eyelets for a rollbar cover, and finding a mint copy of a JDM Mazda Roadster brochure. Got there at 10 in the morning, left at 6.30. Favourite car was a little plucky Triumph Toledo, that was driven to Thailand and back, via the Gobi Desert. Plus the Yugo who's owner had a good sense of humour. The orange Wartburg owner needed a serious reality check, unless it was some sort of in-joke amongst 2-strokers he was making.

Edited by user 17 November 2013 22:44:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Berkeley-Ray
#54 Posted : 17 November 2013 21:31:30(UTC)
Berkeley-Ray

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 19 post(s)

I was at the show on Saturday with my lad, and we had a great day (as we always do).

I thought the MX5OC stand was well set up, we had a great selection of cars, and it was certainly attracting lots of attention when we were there. 

For those  who couldn't make it, a few photos of the stand and the cars:

Also chuffed to see my car make an apperance, or two, or three ....  courtesy of Soft Top Hardtop Laughing

MX5 Mk1 Berkeley Special Edition
Founder Member of the SPARKLY BERKELEY BUNCH -The Marmite Mk1

1 user thanked Berkeley-Ray for this useful post.
peleton72 on 19/11/2013(UTC)
Mister H
#55 Posted : 17 November 2013 22:00:28(UTC)
Mister H

Groups: OCMember2, Registered
Man

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 62 post(s)

Having spent the weekend at the NEC (Saturday and Sunday) I was very impressed with the Club Stand and the cars on display which to me represented the full spectrum of the car's capability from daily driver to racing car.

I was even more impressed with the members manning the stand who worked tirelessly for all three days, recruiting new members, selling merchandise and answering all sorts of queries about buying, owning and maintaining the MX-5. They even had time to welcome members like me, who just needed to sit down for 5 minutes having walked several miles around the vast halls of the NEC.

The cars on the stand certainly didn't look dirty or scruffy to me:-

And seemed to gain the approval of at least one admirer:-

I too loved the Yugo owners sense of humour!!

Edited by user 17 November 2013 22:01:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mk3 2.0 Sport in Sunlight Silver with Climate and Bose
Eibach Springs, Chassis Magic by WIM
Exterior Chrome, Internal Brushed
Mk3 Best of Show - Spring Rally 2010
Roadster Robbie
#56 Posted : 17 November 2013 22:04:04(UTC)
Roadster Robbie

Man

Was thanked: 697 time(s) in 660 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Mister H Go to Quoted Post

And seemed to gain the approval of at least one admirer:-

Did your camera have a funny lens on it Mister H or is that not the real Stig?

Seems like I missed a good weekend!

Disclaimer

Any work you do to your car is entirely your own responsibility. If in doubt, you should check technical advice with an independent , qualified person who has seen your car.

mx5eastern.co.uk - havemorefun.co.uk - merlotmotorsport.co.uk - roadsterrobbie.com

NA: RS Limited (Special car)
NA: Project Merlot (Track car)
ND: 1.5 Sport Nav Soft Top Soul Red Crystal (Wow! What a colour!)