Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Profile: martin
WWW BLOG
Name: martin
Number of Posts: 7,477
[1.21% of all post / 1.89 posts per day]
Thanks Given: 106 (View Thanks)
Thanks Received: 367
Thanked Posts: 276
Community Reputation Received: 0
View All Posts by User
Topic: Website security warning   Go to last post
Posted: 18 January 2019 19:06:57(UTC)

anyway, as it usually the case with OC IT issues we that can know about them pretty much immediately and take action to fix them immediately as well. Or as fast as we can, as things can take a while whilst the source of the issue is traced.  

Thanks for your patience. 

martin

MX5OC Chairman

GB IRL F B MC I CH FL D AND E NL L

Topic: End of the petrol heads?   Go to last post
Posted: 11 January 2019 17:44:54(UTC)

Originally Posted by: First rider off Go to Quoted Post

Couldn't agree more with Gerryn and Countryboy.

I only put the radio/CD on in a traffic jam. Other than that it is off! If I want to really listen to music I will play it on my retro hi-fi.

Cars are becoming so utterly boring to drive, the only way to differentiate them is by advertising how much "connectivity" they have. Cars are becoming nothing more exciting than a computer with a wheel at each corner for the generation who can't bear to be without a smartphone, either as a car acting as one or a mobile one clamped to their ear.

Call me an old fart and petrol head if you want, but I prefer the "connectivity" I hear between my right foot and the exhaust note of of my car.

I say don't blame the car, its the roads we now have to drive that are the problem. No point in having the great exhaust note and right foot connectivity if sitting in a queue at the temporary traffic lights, with two dozen other motorists all getting frustrated with the hold up!! and for many that's the reality of most drives.. 

martin

MX5OC Chairman

Topic: End of the petrol heads?   Go to last post
Posted: 11 January 2019 17:41:34(UTC)

OK, well, driving for the most part these days is a bloody awful thing to have to do. I'm sitting in an office now contemplating a 2.5 miles drive home, not far you may say but it will average about 4-8 mph, quicker to walk sometimes, but not to when you need a car to travel during the day! Do you begrudge me the chance to listen to some interesting music on Radio6music DAB station as I most probably will do for 20 minutes?  It will help me chill after a hard day!

The daily commute, the trip to the supermarket or DIY store at the weekend is all about queuing, delays, traffic lights, potholes , roadworks, diversions, putting up with all the other bad drivers etc. etc. its not an experience that can possibly be enjoyed at all anymore, and that's irrespective of what you're driving. Sadly the younger generations in many cases know nothing different, driving is some to be endured, and frankly the more in the car then the better!  If that's music, pod casts or just marvelling at all the hold ups etc. that are showing up on the sat nav screen it makes that experience just a bit better. If you are really stressed of course you can even ask the android phone (or apple thingy)  jobby to tell you a joke now!  So don't knock the in car tech, its keeping a lot of people sane!

But if you still have the desire to be a "petrol head" then the opportunity still exists, and I'm sure a lot of us on here are and know how to do it properly.  Having a car with great tech does not preclude you from also finding that quiet B road (they are still out there) on a Sunday morning and having a proper blast, it doesn't stop you doing a track day or sprint event and really letting your true petrol head nature shine through. 

A decent stereo and driving fun are not mutually exclusive. 

martin

MX5OC Chairman

Topic: DAB drops out on the hour on Radio 4   Go to last post
Posted: 11 January 2019 09:19:23(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Countryboy Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Combemartian Go to Quoted Post

I'm sure I read some time ago that the time " pips " were going to be removed from digital broadcasts ( DAB satellite and online services ) because they would not be accurate. The whole idea of the pips is to synchronise timekeeping devices. With the delay of the various digital modes the pips are no longer accurate and therefore have no purpose, hence they are muted on digital platforms, this mute period may however run over a little.
I think that's what it said and it makes sense to me.

D

That's what I was told too.  And it does make good sense.  My guess is that the "pips" will go when the plug is pulled on BBC FM broadcasts.

no pips! wow, what about the bongs of Big Ben?

it is interesting though as you clearly notice the delay in DAB broadcast when it switched to FM as some radios do automatically when the signal is poor.  

But on a slightly related note having done a couple of bits on local radio in the morning (phoning in for a moan, you know the sort of thing) you can literally put the phone down to them and then listen to yourself as the "live" breakfast programme is in fact several minutes delayed, now how they manage that around news on the hour etc. I assume they must just time it all so it works. But they must also have their clocks set in the studio so they still give an accurate time check even though its not that time for them!   

martin

MX5OC Chairman

Topic: The MX-5 30th Anniversary Edition officially spotted today!   Go to last post
Posted: 10 January 2019 08:44:18(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Nickand jane Go to Quoted Post

Pictures were available some time ago form Australia ahowing a special edition in orange.

Edit. Iain beat me to it

it was in December, which was very unofficial and Mazda denied any knowledge of at the time, but presumably did have some grain of truth in it, because from what I'm seeing its gonna be orange!  

martin

MX5OC Chairman

Topic: The MX-5 30th Anniversary Edition officially spotted today!   Go to last post
Posted: 09 January 2019 18:56:13(UTC)

and red/orange calipers as well, on BBS wheels maybe?

martin

MX5OC Chairman

Posted: 09 January 2019 17:24:20(UTC)

Originally Posted by: MickAP Go to Quoted Post

They got this to blast through the car park.

lovely, the world really does need more orange cars.. 

martin

MX5OC Chairman

Posted: 09 January 2019 13:13:59(UTC)

well I reckon it could be one of these in the photo, a bright orange Mirafiori Sport, just like I had back in the day....

(ps this is not mine, mine had a lot a orange rust as well!)

martin

MX5OC Chairman

Posted: 09 January 2019 09:22:11(UTC)

"Mazda Motor Corporation announced today that the Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary Edition will have its world premiere at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show, which opens to the public on 9th February 2019.

The Mazda MX-5 made its debut at the Chicago Motor Show in 1989 and to celebrate its 30th anniversary a special edition has been created in appreciation of the customers all over the world who have supported the success of the model over the last three decades"

What do all reckon to this then?

martin

MX5OC Chairman

Topic: Just spotted this on Autotrader   Go to last post
Posted: 08 January 2019 08:27:45(UTC)

Originally Posted by: rolandk Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: MickAP Go to Quoted Post

You won't like the cost of the VED.

what would you reckon it would be then? Insurance might be an issue too?

had a recent story from a member with an import NC auto, VED was £500.00.  

martin

MX5OC Chairman