Welcome Guest! To enable all features please login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Profile: saz9961
Display Name saz9961
Number of Posts: 9,704
[1.59% of all post / 2.57 posts per day]
Thanks Given: 14 (View Thanks)
Thanks Received: 604
Thanked Posts: 541
Community Reputation Received: 0
View All Posts by User
Topic: ND 1.5 what a dissapointment   Go to last post
Posted: 19 November 2018 16:43:17(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Countryboy Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Roadie Go to Quoted Post

Lotus look-a-like badges are fine. Your car, call it what you like. There are quite a few turning up now with Fiat badges but we still know what they really are.

Dodge?

Well there are theories about why the 124 even exists, as it was supposed to be an Alfa Romeo, until quite late into the project; the official line is that the now-departed FCA chairman decided that there was no way he could countenance an Alfa Romeo badge on a Japanese car (but its ok to put on a Fiat badge, because, like, who cares where a Fiat is made). The unofficial reason suggested is that the ND chassis is not good enough for a V6 (ie. the ride, NVH etc, didn't match the price point FCA had in mind, which presumably was closer to the Jag F-Type than the Mazda MX5)

Timelines:

2011:: Mazda starts on ND. Its a cleansheet design.

June 2011: Clay models from different parts of Mazda completed.

February 2012: Proposals narrowed down to 3.

2012: Mazda and Alfa Romeo announce a deal to share platforms.

October 2013: Mazda Japan design accepted to go forward

October 2013: Photos start appearing of ND mules undergoing testing in Germany. Appears to be disguised MX5.

Nov 2013: Fiat 124/ Alfa mules testing in US

December 2013: ND design frozen

January 2013: Detroit testing of ND mules

January 2013: Nazda and FCA confirm Alfa Romeo agreement.

May 2014: Lightly disguised ND prototypes spotted road testing in California

May 2014: 124 mules with Fiat engines spotted in US.

Fiat mule

May 2014: Rumors start to circulate that FCA is rethinking the Alfa Romeo

August 2014: Undisguised NDs seen in Japan

September 2014: ND launched

December 2014: Agreement between FCA and Mazda modified, to replace Alfa Romeo with Fiat

June 2015: Fiat complains the ND platform is too small and not Italian enough, to be an Alfa Romeo

August 2015: 124 prototypes spotted road testing in US

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBkX8-V7tu0

Here is the thing,  Fiat-Alfa Romeo mules were spotted undergoing testing in November 2013, not long after Mazda. The two mules are distinguishable by the number of tailpipes. The later June 2013 mule, when the driver helpfully popped the hood to reveal the ugly Punto turbo engine, doesn't look any different from the Nov 2013 mules. Seems reasonable to assume that FCA were using 4 cylinder turbos from the get go.   The two cars, when road testing, seemed to have development proceeding roughly in parallel, so an Alfa Romeo styling buck was probably reasonably advance. The June 2014 car is clearly, under the tupperware, a 124, which has zero resemblance to an Alfa Romeo. Was an Alfa Romeo ever seriously contemplated? Was the 124 quickly knocked up on the back of a cigarette box, and resemblance to Dodges of the era not uncoincidental. The original 124 was a conveniently generic design.  The headlight-grill relationship would also suit a Dodge, FCA's sporting American brand.

How much of the 124 is Alfa Romeo, and how much is the 6 month redesign? I would think the front and rear wings were pretty much fixed, and the bumper covers were redesigned

This is the closest to 124 sketches that are available:

We'll never know. All there was was an Autocar report that said the Alfa design was so stunning it forced Mazda into a redesign, so as to not look bad. The 124 isn't exactly a looker in the annals of automotive history.

Topic: Need your opinion about this   Go to last post
Posted: 19 November 2018 13:34:08(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Countryboy Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Scottishfiver Go to Quoted Post

Now now lads!

It'll be putting the Big Red Playbus back in the cupboard and no juice & crisps plus the Naughty Chair.

A "Clash of the Titans" - The "Fount of all Knowledge" versus the "Experts in their own Fields".

I'm not. Just was asking some some simple questions to make this thread not another worthless thread. More unanswered threads like this, and we might as well go back to the chaos.org.uk mailing list.

I have not challenged anyone's knowledge on ECUs, merely requested that they expand on their opinions. I'm getting the hint though that maybe they are not that knowledgeable, and perhaps recommending a US market ECU was bum advice.

Posted: 19 November 2018 09:26:14(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Gerryn Go to Quoted Post

Rob - tried asking on 'The garage' at miata.net? Dunno if you'll get an answer, bit worth trying anyway? They may or may not have any ideas about non USA cars, but ask anyway. From memory 'Lance' is an authority on Mazda, but don't know how to contact him. Can't remember his surname either - - - - dumb cluck!

Just a thought - didn't he join flyin miata?

Lance Schall does not work for Flyin' Miata. Keith Tanner joined Flyin' Miata originally as their website designer. I guess you can PM him through Miataforum. Anyone with access to the Mazda EPS can supply part numbers for all ECUs.

I'm not sure of Lance's professional background, but he is very expert on the US market Miata, the 1.6 model in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkicUz4SE4s

Posted: 19 November 2018 09:13:14(UTC)

Saz seems more aware of ECU No's and changes than any of us, so why doesn't he post the info required? - That is one long list above.

If I was more aware than "any of us" I would not be asking the significance of the secondary numbers posted by a respondent. Mazda Japan and Mazda USA don't quote such numbers in their microfiche's, but no JDM and only a few USDM cars had an immobilizer. My assumption was these only represented a serial number, but apparently that is incorrect, as it was posted that these numbers were of significance when considering an ECU.

I am not holding any information back, and if this forum is to be a significant repository of information into the future, then it helps if such information is put into the public domain, and not restricted to private messages, where potentially the information is lost if one or more of the parties dies.

As pointed out, the list does not include Australia but would Australia really warrant different parts, given that, during NA sales, sales were no more than a few hundred per year?

Posted: 18 November 2018 19:42:46(UTC)
Given that the OP may now have been scared off by responses, perhaps the resident ECU experts might like to close off this thread (so it can be of use for another poster who decides to use the search function) to explain the difference between BP3A 18881A (recommended by one of the respondents) and BP3A-18-881B, and the significance of the second set of numbers, with respect to the functionality of the ECU in a UK or JDM spec car. I thought the second number just relates to a serial number, not a part number, because it is repeated in the barcode. The only information I have is that both these numbers pertain to 1997MY Miata (ie. production from mid-96 to end of Mk1 production). 1997 Miatas were OBDII, the ROW never got this, so surprised that BP3A 18881A was even mentioned by a responder on a UK forum. Wouldn't this be dramatically different to UK (EU) or JDM specification? Normally the suffix indicates a minor change in spec or supplier, and is, as pointed out, backward compatible for the same MY.

If an expert has a list of UK and JDM specific part numbers, please can they post them for the benefit of others.

Numbers I have:
B63H-18-881C: allegedly for a 90-93 Eunos Roadster NA6CE
B6MU-18-881B: allegedly for a EU (UK) spec NB6-FL
BP5D-18-881B: allegedly for a EU (UK) spec NB8
BPS9-18-881B: allegedly for a EU (UK) spec 1996 1.8
BPR5-18-881B: allegedly for a JDM spec 1.8, MY not described
BPF9-18-991A: allegedly for a UK spec 1.8, 1994, no immobilizer
B6HA-18-881A: allegedly for a UK spec 96+ 1.6 (the depowered poverty model)
BP7N-18-881A: allegedly for a UK spec NB8-FL
B64F-18-881A: [Experts fill in the blank]
B66B-18-881B: 1996 Automatic 1.8 (ie. Eunos Roadster) (or is it for a 1.6?)
BPS5-18-881B: 1997 Eunos Roadster 1.8 manual
BPF3-18-881 (no suffix): 1994 Eunos Roadster
BPF8-18-881A: UK spec 1995 1.8 (late 95?)

US market ECUs:

89-92 B61P-18-881A (MT ALL NA35** -212200)
B61P-18-881B (MT ALL NA35** 212200-)

1993 B61P-18-881B (MT FED)
B6AW-18-881 (CALIF)

1994 BPE8-18-881 (MT ALL)

1995 BPL9-18-881 (MT ALL NA35* -613967)
BPL9-18-881B (MT ALL NA35* 613967-)

1996 BPS1-18-881A (MT ALL NA3** -706256)
BPS1-18-881B (MT ALL NA3** 706256-)

1997 BP3A-18-881A (MT ALL NA35*V -727842)
BP3A-18-881B (MT ALL NA35*V 727842-)

1999 BP4W-18-881A (MT FED NB353* -100063)
BP4W-18-881B (MT FED NB353* 100063-105246)
BP4W-18-881C (MT FED NB353* 105246-138751)
BP4Y- FOR MT CALIFORNIA VERSIONS
BP5R-18-881 (MT FED NB353* 138751-)
BP5T-18-881 (MT CAL NB353* 138751-) INC HARD SUSP.
BP6U-18-881 (MT CAL NB353* 138751-) SPORT SUSP.

2001 BP6F-18-881C (MT ALL NB35** -208411)
BP6F-18-881D (MT ALL NB35** 208411-219555)
BP6F-18-881E (MT ALL NB35** 219555-221227)
BP6F-18-881F (MT ALL NB35** 221227-)
BP6F-18-881G (MT ALL NB35** 221227-) WITH IMMOBILIZER
BP7C-18-881A (MT ALL NB35** 223944-) W/O IMMOBILIZER

Mazda Japan

B63H-18-881B/C: NA6CE MT
B66B-18-881B: NA6CE AT
BPF3-18-881: NA8C-100000 to NA8C-300000
BPF3-18-881: From NA8C-304921
BPS5-18-881A: From NA8C-400000
B6MC-18-881B: NB6-100000-200000
BP5A-18-881B: NB8-100000-200000
B6MS-18-881B: NB6-200000-
BP6D-18-881B/C/D: NB8-200000-
B6MW-18-881C: NB6-300000-
BP6Z-18-881A/B/D: NB8-300000-
B6MW-18-881D: NB6-400000-
BP6Z-18-881D: NB8-400000- (non-turbo)
BP8K-18-881E: Mazdaspeed Turbo

No doubt the resident experts will find errors and omissions in the list. Please correct to the best of your knowledge.

If possible, cite examples of different ECU combinations tried, and, briefly, the outcome (eg. car didn't start, car started but ran rough, car started fine). To suggest a certain ECU would not work suggests practical experience of fitting US (or Canadian) spec ECUs into UK-based cars, after all, no one is guessing, are they?
Topic: 1.8 mk2 exhaust manifold pipe?   Go to last post
Posted: 18 November 2018 14:25:11(UTC)
You need a Mk1 1.8 manifold and downpipe.
Topic: The Good, the bad and the NHS.   Go to last post
Posted: 18 November 2018 12:00:43(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Taxi_Driver Go to Quoted Post

Gerry, I had to give up reading that rant shortly after the Dental part. It's clear you have little clue how the NHS works, as you're just plain wrong with almost all your assumptions, which you put forward as facts. It's a strange and twisted view you have of the NHS.

H,mm - you freely admit you hardly read any of 'my rant' - as you put it, but feel free to criticize me anyway, as according to you, I make wild assumptions and know nothing about the NHS. But then, cab drivers are the 'fountain of all knowledge', so who am I to make any objection?

That I have in depth and intimate knowledge of the NHS locally, garnered over twenty odd years, is an 'assumption'- yeah right.- Yes, I'm still alive (and ranting) due to the NHS and some caring consultants, doctors and nurses, who have treated me in the past, but it doesn't add up at the side of observation of what goes on around me. - Or doesn't either.

At the moment, every two months, I get called back to the Macular center because they say- "Your affected eye is leaking, as it's losing the fluid we keep pumping into your eye at these intervals".- Waiting for the next injection now.

Meanwhile, in the 'other world' eye treatment for macular degeneration has reached higher levels, and treatment for this so called age related condition is being treated in other ways, as can be expected where research has revealed the actual cause of it. - As I commented some time back, citing an incident in Star Trek, (Go ahead, mock me on that) as as example, we are still using cut and shut surgery where it is unnecessary, except where keyhole surgery is in practice. That too will cease as more research becomes available. On that subject, why do various other bodies keep appealing for funds for research? - We have Heart, lung, cancer plus the other medical charities, all begging for money. That's excluding University funded research too. - WHY?

Ah! - I hear you cry, but I don't drive a cab - I drive a taxi - - - - - -" Wake up and drink your coffee".

Universities fund next to zilch medial research, and fund very little research themselves. University of Buckingham might fund some research, but most other universities use their own cash res use their own cash reserves to fund fellowships, infrastructure and some capital equipment acquisitions.

Don't understand your last rant about research. Are you of the opinion that we should adopt a Soviet approach to R&D, and conduct all such research within State-owned enterprises only? That didn't work out, as, by and large, Soviet research was of poor quality and achieved little, except in the field of Yersinia pestis.

Universities are nominally independent institutions. They are not owned by the state. They are funded in the following ways:

1. Research Council funding: Government funds the councils, the councils issue grants, and universities compete for these across a variety of themes.

2. Higher Education Funding Bodies: block grants to fund university infrastructure. There is a complex consideration here, based on students, pass rates, and RAE output.

3. EU  Horizon 2020 funding

4. Industry finding

5. Charities. Charities account for about half of university medical research.

Latest stats indicate £33 billion per year is spend on R&D, of which £22 billion was carried out by industry.

So £11 billion per year in academic/government sector. Industry spends £4billion in the UK on new drugs.

If you want government to spend more on medical research, then vote for a party that promises to double your taxes, then you will have some assurance that medical research spend will be increased. That might not result in a fix for AMD.

As far as macular degeneration (wet eye) treatments; the newest treatments are based on engineered monoclonal antibodies, with a drug molecule moiety. For instance, Bevacizumab and Ranibizumab. Bevacizumab is better known as Avastin, and also used to treat a variety of cancers. As a drug, it inhibits the growth of blood vessals (angiogenesis). It was developed by Genentech, and launched for cancer treatment in 2004. The original hypothesis that angiogenesis might be useful was developed at Harvard Medical School in the early 70s. The research was only progressed significantly because of the financial support of Monsanto, a company now much hated by the ignorant, and others.

Availability in the NHS is complex; Bevacizumab has not been submitted by the manufacturer to the MHRA for ophthalmic use in the UK. The NICE approved drugs are ranibizumab and aflibercept. Aflibercept also inhibits blood vessel growth. Recently the manufacturer of Bevacizumab took some CCGs to court, after they started prescribing the drug, without NICE approval. The drug company lost the case; their case was that the CCGs (basically, your GPs) were undermining drug regulation. This drug is much cheaper than the others, since only a small dose is required to achieve the necessary effect.

You've probably been told, but forgotten, AMD is due to abnormal blood vessels leaking into your macula/retina. Its not your eye that is leaking, its the blood vessels. The mixture of blood fluid causes visual defects.  They've known the cause for decades, but it was only through the development of angiogenesis inhibitors that any meaningful treatment could be offered. You are quite incorrect to suppose these drugs were developed specifically for AMD.

You need repeat injections because not all the affected blood vessels have been impacted. But my understanding is that there is a certain level of diminishing returns, particular when the patient has other comorbidities. Pretty much you are receiving state of the art treatment for AMD, and are not being shortchanged because it is the NHS. My dad had AMD; about 2 years of injections has reversed it. He gave up smoking 15 years ago.

It is fanciful to suggest gene modification can eliminate AMD anytime soon. The 100K genome project only started in 2014, and AMD doesn't fall in its remit (whole genome research into rare diseases). Plus there is a social aspect; do you think it is really moral to genetically engineer babies because it is predicted that they might develop AMD in their 80s after a lifetime of smoking?  Your genome doesn't absolutely determine your fate. Genetics plays a role in predisposition to AMD, but heavy smoking leading to vascular disease also did.

I don't foresee the need for interventional surgery ceasing in my lifetime. More MIS techniques, sure, as the physician is gradually moved to a remote location, or even eliminated. The Da Vinci robot is just the start. You comment "as more research becomes available" makes no sense; only on rare occasions has human progress been advanced because of throwing money at a project (eg Manhattan Project, Apollo Programme). In most cases, it takes individuals, sometimes by happen-chance.  Some people might recall that Alec Jeffreys from the University of Leicester was knighted for inventing gene fingerprinting. What most don't realise was he had to invent the technique in order to distinguish North Sea seal populations. Ask an ordinary exit-voting member of the public what the government should be funding; therapies for octogenarians or studies into Seal myoglobins?

Topic: 1.8 mk2 exhaust manifold pipe?   Go to last post
Posted: 18 November 2018 10:28:11(UTC)

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), required to meet emission standards.

Topic: Nbfl   Go to last post
Posted: 16 November 2018 14:51:44(UTC)
Sam will use local body shops, such as MNS, who I have used in the past. But for welding, I would go for Thrussington Garage in East Goscote, but that might be too far for you.

See:
http://www.motorpunk.co....the-oldest-mx-5s-around/
Topic: AA Alternatives   Go to last post
Posted: 14 November 2018 20:47:58(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Taxi_Driver Go to Quoted Post

Hi Saz. I've been with the AA for too many years to count now. Every year they send me a bill for around £150ish. Every year a 5 minute phone call gets the cost down below £60, except this year. They insisted £61 was the magic number. They are by far the easiet organisation to get a reduced price from. The 20% off at certain resaurants probably gets me more than that back over the year as I seem to be surrounded by them. Use the member benefits and tha AA pays for itself.

Your negotiating skills are better than mine. 20 minutes on the phone whinging about how much of a ripoff AA were, and isn't 21 years loyalty worth anything, only got the renewal reduced from £170 to 120, at which point I surrendered, as I am at the airport, about to leave the country for 2 weeks, with a Jag sitting in the carpark for the new few weeks, with a battery of uncertain age.... Not really willing to experiment with a cutprice alternative that no one seems to have actually used.

Kept banging on about the free legal advice and key protection, both pretty worthless to me (if I need legal advice, I rather select my own solicitor).

Ah well, roll on another 12 months.

Sort User Name Name: Forum Rank: Joined Posts Location
Geoff Walton Advanced poster 26 May 2008(UTC) 11,622 Sunshine Coast Australia
dfr Advanced poster 17 July 2009(UTC) 473