The Peaks and Pennines Area are please to invite you to an Inter Area Anniversary Meet and Picnic on Sunday 21st July on the Picnic area close to Peak Rail’s Rowsley South Station,DE4 2LF a Scenic location in the picturesque Derwent Valley.
- Exclusive use of the 200 car capacity car park and large picnic area close to the River Derwent.
- Reduced cost travel into Matlock on Vintage Steam Trains
- Close to three village Pubs and an Indian Restaurant
- Many B&B’s (from £35.5) Inns and Hotels close by
- Pre booked overnight camping available at £5.50 per night
- Short drive to Matlock – Bakewell, – Chatsworth House – Caudwells Mill and Haddon Hall
- Close to Derwent Valley Heritage Way (Long Distance Foot path)
- Retail therapy is available nearby at the Peak Shopping Village
The event is free to members, a nominal charge will be made to non members.
The gates open at 10 am on Sunday morning, please email me if you intend to arrive on Saturday and camp overnight.
Please note there are 3 stations on the line, all brown signed ‘Peak Rail’, the rally is at the Rowsley South Station picnic area, it is approached off Harrison Way, There is at brown ‘Peak Rail’ sign on the A6 at the end of Harrison Way.
The suggestion is that other area take a scenic route from one of their meeting points, arrive at Rowsley around mid day to picnic and socialise, those that want to could catch the 13:28 steam train to Matlock, have a wonder around Matlock, and catch the 16:28 train back to the picnic area.
• Through ticketing is available from any East Midlands station to Darley Dale and Rowsley, making a day long visit possible for those who do not want to, or cannot drive.
Whilst it would be ideal if members arrived in their MX5, those camping could come across in a larger vehicle with their camping gear in it, or a Motorhome or caravan, they would be parked in the camping area a short distance from the MX5’s
The there are three pubs (The Grouse and Claret, The Square and Compass, and The Grouse Inn) 1.1 miles away, 5 mins by car or about 30 mins on foot, the new cycle path (The Harrison Way) can be used to walk to either.
The award winning Shalima Indian Restaurant is a 5 min walk away, the food and service is excellent.It is open from mid-day.
Slightly further away(3 miles) is The Flying Childers voted Winner of The Good Pub Guide Unspoilt Pub of the Year 2019